main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Watchmen -3/6/09

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I thought we had a thread on this already, but thought I'd start one since we had two already for the Wolverine film.

There's a panel at WonderCon on Saturday for this, but who is up for seeing it in IMAX on opening night?

Hopefully, the showtimes will be up soon (like next week).

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Gotta work, otherwise, I'd do it. Re-reading it now, in the big Absolute Edition.

3. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    Fudge yah I'm going friday night!

4. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Here is some video of behind the scenes:

http://www.bordersmedia.com/backlot/watchmen.asp?cmpid=SL_20090217_REW

BTW - Check out Zack Snyder's T-shirt on Chapter 1. [face_mischief]

5. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm in, why not. Is someone getting tix?

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Metreon has a 7:00 and 10:45 IMAX shows on Friday, 3/6. The Thursday midnight show is SOLD OUT!

I'll probably get my tickets tomorrow after WC set up.

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'd be down for 10:45...

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It looks like Friday night's shows are sold out! :oops: :( I'll try tomorrow for the 10:45 show on Saturday...[face_praying]

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    we already bought tixs for the Saturday 2:45 show.

10. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey Matty, Dale, I can't make a saturday show. It's my buddy Todd's wedding. I gave Dale an extra AMC pass to get tickets for me but if you guys aren't going for friday then get that pass back to me.

11. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    got mine for 11am friday morning

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Excerpt of review from Roger Ebert: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/REVIEWS/903049997

After the revelation of ?The Dark Knight,? here is ?Watchmen,? another bold exercise in the liberation of the superhero movie. It?s a compelling visceral film ? sound, images and characters combined into a decidedly odd visual experience that evokes the feel of a graphic novel. It seems charged from within by its power as a fable; we sense it?s not interested in a plot so much as with the dilemma of functioning in a world losing hope....

.....The film is rich enough to be seen more than once. I plan to see it again, this time on IMAX, and will have more to say about it. I?m not sure I understood all the nuances and implications, but I am sure I had a powerful experience. It?s not as entertaining as ?The Dark Knight,? but like the ?Matrix? films, LOTR and ?The Dark Knight,? it?s going to inspire fevered analysis. I don?t want to see it twice for that reason, however, but mostly just to have the experience again.

This is not going to be a typical comic book movie. From the 20 minute preview at Wondercon, this is going to ignite plenty of debates and analysis. Maybe not as much as the original comic, but it will definitely add to it.

13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey, all you Watchmen fans! I have a small favor to ask you if you were in the line for Watchmen at WonderCon. By the time I found out about this, the line was already capped.

They were handing out free Wonder Woman tiaras at that table. My daughter is a huge Wonder Woman fan, having watched the TV show when she was a wee sprout herself. She would dearly love to have the tiara.

Her birthday is in May and I was wondering if any of you has a tiara they wouldn't mind parting with.

Yes, I'm getting her the DVD for her birthday. And, yes, I'll see the Watchman movie as it sounds quite interesting.

Thanks ever so much!!

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Just saw the movie in IMAX last night. WOW! Definitely NOT for the kids. There's a reason why its rated R.

Also picked up the latest issue of Maxim too. ;)

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Sorry I missed it with you guys yesterday. Will prob catch a showing at some point. :p

16. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    It looks like Zack Snyder will release a Director's Cut to theaters this summer, with 25 more minutes!

:-B

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Should be more than that, he wants to incorporate the Tales of the Black Freighter into the narrative as it was in the original novel. The bookended scenes of the newspaper man and the kid were filmed. I'm wondering if they had the death of Hollis Mason in it. No sure if they filmed the origin of Rorshach's mask though, the story of Kitty Genovese may be too far back in the minds of people today.

18. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    Isn't the Black Freighter story coming to DVD, produced by Snyder? And I saw the Watchmen "novel on DVD" at Best Buy.

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Just great. More blue penis shots. :eek: [face_sick]

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    ^^Not touching that one with a ten-foot pole! So, I guess this is a movie I can't watch with my son?

So, any of you notice my post where I was asking if anyone has a Wonder Woman tiara they wouldn't mind parting with?

Let me know, 'k! Thanks!

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    There's a reason its rated R. Let's just say that comic book movies have come a long way since 1978. ;)

22. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Tales of the Black Freighter will come out as a separate animated feature on 3/24, narrated by Gerald Butler. Included in it is Under the Hood, the autobiography of Hollis Mason, the first Night Owl. I would imagine other supplements that were part of the original comic would be in there as well, the Psychological Profile of Rorschach, the Dr. Manhattan white paper, etc.

The Watchman motion comic is essentially the comic, read by a single narrator. The "motion" is provided by limited Flash animation based on the original art. The text for the most part is exactly lifted from the novel, with a few edits for length. So the running time of this slightly abridged audio comic book is about 6 hours.

23. MJBegg007

MJBegg007 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2009
    Hahaha. God, yeah, very disturbing stuff that. [face_sick]

24. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
  25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Metreon says Watchmen will be in IMAX this weekend for the 12 midnight show only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.