main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen - Anyone Seen It Yet or Planning on Going?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not that familiar with the comics - have never read them. But I've read some of the articles about the film and it sounds interesting. I think the film opens today. If you see it, please let me know if someone only vaguely familiar with it would be lost (or if I should at least read the graphic novel first).

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I've heard it can be quite confusing if you know nothing about the series at all (as is the case with me), but I'd quite like to see it. I'll probably wait for a "cheap" day though, as I'm not in a rush to see it.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I don't want to pay £8 or so just to find out it's lousy. I'll see the usual weekend paper reviews but I'd rather see a review by someone familiar with the franchise.

4. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Big fan of the comic here, I went to see the midnight showing and well...I dunno. I left feeling a bit Phantom Menace'd

Don't get me wrong, it's a good film! But it's not the be all and end all of comic book movies that it was getting hyped up to be.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Have read the comic. Thought it was pretty good.

Am seeing the film tomorrow night.

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I read the comic about eight years ago and it is a masterpiece, saw the film the other night and came back home a happy man. I think Zack Snyder has done a great job and the more I ponder upon it the more I like it.
    Someone in the screening who hasn't read it did understand what was going on, so don't be put off if you haven't either. You just need to bare in-mind only Dr. Manhattan (the blue man) has superpowers.... some of the fight scenes might make you think otherwise you see.
    It's worth seeing just for the Rorschach scenes really, and the great music soundtrack.
    If you liked Heroes before it turned rubbish, i.e season 1, then not only will you like Watchmen but you'll also realise where they ripped-off/got their main story arc idea from.

I gave it 4/5 stars but another viewing might raise it to 5.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have heard they altered it, but having not read it I won't know how.

One review said it was so dark & violent it made Dark Knight look like "Count Duckula on ice"

I won't judge it fully until I've seen all of it, but considering how long it's taken and how complex the story is it seems like the best possible adaptation has been made within the time constraints and in one volume.
    I hope I'll understand it, most people at work have given me the rundown on the characters and general story and it doesn't sound too tricky to follow.

It certainly looks epic, especially in HD Digital Print.

And Heroes was only bad for season 2, season 3 is very good :p

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    From what I've seen, Season three is just as bad :p

The ending has been tweaked rather then changed, but I think it was a good and logical decision.

I heard the Kermode review just now and I'd have to disagree with him. He said the film was more style over substance, too 80's and not as good as V for Vendetta. I felt the film had both style and substance, had a good 80's theme because it's set, surprisingly, in the 80's and I hated V for Vendetta when I first saw it. I'm slightly luke warm towards it now but I can safely say Watchmen is far and beyond that film.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I love V for Vendetta, but I had to watch that a few times to get an understanding of it. I'll probably have to do that with Watchmen.

The panel on Newsnight Review made a point of stating they were reviewing the film and not the book, they are seperate entities and should be judged as such. Just as the Lord of the Rings movies should be viewed and judged seperately from the books.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Saw it last night. Am all at once elated and disappointed.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Typical Everton fan :p

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Indeed, was he talking about the film or Everton's last performance?

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Never read the comics, saw it yesterday. Thankfully the Metro brought me up to speed on the past. :p

It's... good. It's also strange. And, it's also interesting.

It's nothing that's going to make my life change dramatically, but it is fun, nonetheless.

14. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Saw it last night, and I thought it was alright.

Though when watching, I completely forgot how violent the comic really was lol

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Might see it eventually. I'm not in any particular rush.

16. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Saw it twice opening day, and thought it was AMAZING.

This is not a film for the general public though, had people leaving 20 mins into my screenings.

The opening credis were just...perfect in every way. The cast were awesome and fit the roles perfectly (and in one case, made the character better *cough* nite owl *cough*)

I dont agree with Kermode that much, but can usually see his point of view, but the whole 'it looks too 80s' thing just showed how much of an *** he is. It's set in the 80s Mark! The costumes look like they were made in the 80s because they were! How can that be a critisism at all!?

Dont listen to the general public's reviews of the movie, people are going in expecting somethign similar to spiderman, but more gorey, and it REALLY isnt that sort of movie.

Go in with your thinking hat on and expecting a grim, violent and dark world view.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and just to reinforce my love for this movie, I now rank this above everything on my top 20, even Empire (sorry everyone lol)

Not even TDK got that high (thats at number 6)

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Burn the heretic!

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    It is a divider. People at work have either liked or disliked it. I think those who haven't read the comic are going in with the expectations that this will be your typical comic book film adaption funfair, but it's not nor is it ever meant to be.

Mark Kermode's review was quite contradictory. Saying that fans will be disappointed because it's not the comic and then criticising Zack Snyder for being too faithful to the comic :confused:
    Deep down I think he liked it but doesn't want to admit to it, same with 300 because he was very quick to state that he didn't say he hated it but still can't quite admit to saying he liked it, lol.

I wanted this film to be just like the comic and it was pretty much on the mark most of the time. The comic is set in mid-eighties and so should the film (I think Kermode was reacting more to the Paul Greengrass version, which was set to be modernised which may or may not have been a good thing). I love the fact you had Tears for Fears playing in the background at one point.... perfect!

19. KIRA-SHAY

KIRA-SHAY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2007
    Just to lighten the mood... [face_whistling]

I've not seen it yet, but the trailer has piqued my interest - might go see it next weekend. But am I really the only female around here that is vaguely intrigued by Watchmen? [face_worried]

*Wanders off to watch Confessions of a Shopaholic, or some other pinkish fluff instead* :D

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would heartily recommend 'He's just not that into you,' Kira. Good and fun little film.

21. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Saw it tonight ... Pretty decent. I liked the ended ( I've never read the comic, been intending to for years)

22. KIRA-SHAY

KIRA-SHAY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2007
    *Watches trailer* Gah! Sinre! That... is... a... Rom com! *Pokes eyes out with cocktail sticks* [face_beatup]

No, I've got a rather strong dislike for... that genre of film. Much prefer something with a bit more brains behind it - like Momento :D So thanks, but think I'll stick with Watchmen, if you don't mind :p

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Think I'm gonna see Watchmen tonight. If I do, it will be the 3rd film I've seen at the cinema since 2007 (Alien vs Predator: Requiem doesn't doesn't count)

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    This one got away from me - between being sick and trying to recuperate I haven't had the time.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Watchmen is like masturbation. Fun while it lasts, but afterwards you wonder why you bothered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.