main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen - Anyone Seen It Yet or Planning on Going?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I enjoyed it and had no problem following the story even though I've not read the graphic novel.
    I like the conflicts each character faces, conflicted heroes always makes a better story (Spider-Man 2 being a prime example). The Watchmen were different in many ways but all united for a common cause, even if they didn't all beliveve in that cause.

I didn't quite get what the "twist" at the end was meant to be, was it the Empire-style father revelation or which of the Watchmen turned out to be the villain? (of all the Watchmen I could've guessed who it was by process of elimination).

It was visually a great movie, it was a bold move to make it as dark and violent as the graphic novel was and restrict the usual audience for this type of movie. It also didn't feel that long which I thought was good.

The film raises interesting questions about humanity, war and peace and what sacrifices are neccessary. I found myself agreeing with the way it ended and feeling that was the best solution available, despite the fact it was essentially bad.

The characaters were all good and well acted, with clever names reflecting their behaviour and styles (Rorschach the creator of ink-blot tests, Ozymandius was the name for Rameses II which happen to be the computer password, Dr Manhatten after the Manhatten Project).

As I said I've not read the novel, but some of those who I know have question the "visionary" style of the director claiming this is not an adaptation but merely a copy of the graphic novel directly onto screen. Did he even storyboard it or just give everyone a copy of the novel to work from?
    Batman is an interpretation using the characters of the comics, but it creates new senarios and gives Batman and Joker and others a new style different form the comics.
    But it's hard for me to judge that, I've not read Watchmen so I can't compare.

2. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Watched it, loved it... still love it!

But then I go to see films to enjoy them not to pull it apart and complain!

3. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    High five!

Sometimes I feel a bit out of place on my film course, as I can never really say why I like certain films, just that I do.

4. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Some films do deserved to be pull apart and criticise especially if you were promise of keeping to the storyline promised by the director or a fan of such cult series that has been done so badly. :) I don't know maybe I'm a film critic or what.

However Watchman is the Blue print that Xmen and JLA should have/ should be.
    Now Thats what you call a comic book movie. I havent seen a great movie since Sincity.
    (BTW when the second one coming out ? )
    10 out of 10 for me.

Well said Halibutt, Well Said ! =D= =D= =D=

5. Darth_Paddy_666

Darth_Paddy_666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2006
    Utter rubbish, no film DESERVES to be treated like that, sit back and ENJOY the film for what it is!

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A film is a piece of artwork. Maybe "deserved" is not quite the right word, but if people pay money to see said artwork, then they certainly have the RIGHT to talk about it, dissect it, criticize it, or pretty much anything they want. Some people like to do this (me included), others don't. That's fine, it's the choice of the individual.

7. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    There's a difference between criticizing a movie because it has taken a major character or plotpoint out of an established work of art but making a fuss because the CGI team got the wrong shade of purple for the supporting robot's helmet is just nit-picking.

8. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    double post\\

9. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Its what Halibutt said you paid for it you can do what you like You don't have to read it or listern to them. AND whos arguing of a small pixel colour ?

so is "shut up and take it" that's utter rubbish too.
    If you brought a product and it say whats it says but does not perform, would you except it ?

10. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    If I read/watch a good critique of a movie I will pay more attention to that author/presenter in the future. Jonathon Ross usually mentions parts of a movie that may upset fans of the original source but if he reviewed Diaclone II and spent two minutes debating whether Meganutz should take off his hyperalloy codpiece or not then he would lose his job.

11. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    like i said its your cup of tea
    and going back on character appearance. apperance give a certain persona of the character.
    Like Otimus with his face plate ON he had always had his faceplate through out the Transformer saga so what give when Bay decides tinker with it ?
    I can understand why Soubndwave is not tape recorder and it makes sence not to have soundwave to be one.

12. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him.

13. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    What are you? Some kind of half-a--ed astronaut?

yes Jaws (1975) so........ :(

Anyway great come back though [face_worried]

14. Darth_Paddy_666

Jul 7, 2006
    I pay for a film I get a film (does what it says on the tin!), it's what YOU choose to do with it that defines whether it works or not and I prefer to watch a film for the films sake, IF I see something glaringly obvious I MAY watch the film a second time for scientific dissection HOWEVER if I enjoyed the film I couldn't give a rats behind if they got something wrong!

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Still ain't seen it. Got it ordered on DVD though.

*avoids spoilers*

16. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Good for you.. Glad to here that

Just for the record: if you like it, you like it, does not bother me in the slightest but moaning about other people post simiply they critising something is just a little odd. If you don't like like you don't have to take part. Getting all stress with your capitals and exlaimation marks doesn't help. Its a forum people are going to discuss and debate over it, and whatever they critise is not really an issue, is it Geeezz :rolleyes:

....so move along

17. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    You should and don't hesitate in getting the DVD. It is surperb comic film. However there are parts in the film that may seem to be unessarly.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Interesting system, I have not and will not buy a DVD of a movie I haven't seen incase I don't like it.
    I'll always rent it first then get it if I liike it (or these days I'll watch it a few times at work and then decide).

But each to one's own I guess.

19. Darth_Paddy_666

Jul 7, 2006
    I'm just stressing the important bits in my post with capitals, it's not like I'm going all out and moaning in bold or anything overly obviously... Geeezz take a stress pill!

It's IS a forum and I'm allowed to have my say on anything I feel needs it just like you are, get over it!

20. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    For me, seeing a movie on DVD is usually the first time that I see it. I can't be bothered to rent as I don't want my BD player scummed up with other people's dirt. I wish sometimes that I had the patience to wait until all the DVDs I buy are in the bargain bucket (looking across to my "launch price" pile of crud DVDs - Jumper, Sunshine, King Kong, The day the Earth Stood still, etc, etc.)

21. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Well i'm getting mine on blu-ray

Richie do you work in the Cinema ?

22. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Out of my DVD collection I would say that 70% are films I had not seen before I got the DVDs.

And out of that, only 1 has ever let me down and I wish I could go back in time...

...Van Helsing *shudders, then spits on floor*

23. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm all for people enjoying the film, even if I do strongly disagree with the mentality of 'Enjoying it for what it is' or, 'Leaving your brain at the door' ...

...Anyways, I can't remember if I gave my opinion on the film or not. But I thought the film was simply 'meh': another boring comic book adaptation. The main problem I had with it was the fact that there were many shots in the film where it was often stupidly and sickeningly symbolic. Patronisingly so, I thought (like the stupid moment of Rorschach's death). I understand that it's strongly based on the Graphic novel- of which I am a very recent, casual fan - but it was never like it was portrayed in the film

edit
    And out of that, only 1 has ever let me down and I wish I could go back in time...
    ..Van Helsing *shudders, then spits on floor*

Oh, dear :p

edit, edit

I realise that I have left my initial opinion on the first page. And I still stand by how much I liked the ending. Although my initial opinion has changed from "kinda liked it" to "Meh". The more I thought about the film, my opinion of it lessens

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yes I do, in one with a digital IMAX.
    Even before I watch a film all the way through I've usually seen all of it in bits when on ushering shifts so I get a pretty good idea if I like it so I can buy a DVD when it's out.

25. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Ha ha. Manufactured parts. Ha...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.