main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Watto in EP7??

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by icqfreak, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If they were to do Watto as a puppet/animatronic then i'd love to see him return. The problem with fully cgi characters is you never get a convincing reaction from the actors or theres give-away signs like they seem to walk an inch above the ground.

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Yeah, make him a puppet, but keep his face CGI.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It is just our imaginations that are limited, not the Star Wars universe. Nothing says he will appear in the ST, but I would love the small tie to the PT such an appearance would bring.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Disney hates the prequel trilogy. They want everything to revolve around the classic trilogy. That's why they cancelled the Clone Wars and made Rebels. Watto will be a background cameo at the most.

5. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yeah, maybe some relative or descendant (just don't call him Witto, or Wotto or something similar please!)

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Multibillion dollar companies aren't singular fanboys who "hate" anything.

It's about the bottom line. Disney will tap into the prequel time period at a time when it's financially lucrative to do so.

7. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008

No no no no no noooo! CGI or not at all!

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Watto was about as interesting as a power converter. Meh.

Six likes this.
  9. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    I actually think they should avoid endlessly referencing stuff from previous films. It's a big galaxy, not everyone has to be related or know each other. Chewie in Episode 3 was the worst example of this. Give us something new!

10. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I could actually see Watto as an elderly Toydarian, having let himself go. He's tired and withered. He could even be too fat to fly anymore, so they could use a stationary puppet like Jabba, with maybe some facial components as CGI.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If I wanted something new, I would look at a new intellectual property.

12. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Worse than baby Greedo chilling with Anakin in TPM?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That wasn't Greedo but a new character - Wald. I think Greedo was supposed to be the kid that accuses Anakin of cheating, after he wins the race, and gets in a fight with him as a result - in a deleted scene (mentioned in the novelization).

Palpatine77 likes this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't dislike Watto, I just don't need to see any more of him in the ST. If we're going to see a Toydarian, let's see a new character.

15. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Oh man, I definitely knew that, my bad!

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh absolutely not. Watto looked amazing with late 90s/early 00s CGI. He was beautifully rendered all those years ago, and technology has come far enough to make him look unbelievable. I appreciate a good puppet or mask as much as the next guy, but if the CGI is photorealistic, or damn near close, I see no reason to do a puppet just because.

Palpatine77 and Palpatine2016 like this.
  17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Its the reaction of the actors that spoils it from being believable, not the construction of the character.

18. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Even though that's not exactly right, the deleted scene Iron_lord mentioned is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's fan service and sort of cool to see, but beyond the initial "Oh look, it's that guy" I'm not keen and doesn't really add anything. I'd even argue that the Jango/Boba Fett clones thing was unnecessary but at least that was quite well done even if they did just take a popular character and work backwards.

Palpatine77 and KevinM1 like this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I don't want endless references, but I don't think throwing in a cameo or minor support for Watto, if they're going back to Tatooine, is a stretch.

Now the whole Chewie knowing Yoda, Anakin building 3PO, and Greedo being a local playmate to Darth Vader are fanservice moments I could have lived without.

KevinM1 likes this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Plenty of actors have reacted just fine opposite animated characters.

I think it'll be just fine.

We are never, ever going back to a time when puppets and animatronics rule the day.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW also was prone to including movie characters - Sy Snootles the singer from RoTJ, as Ziro the Hutt's girlfriend, Dengar and Bossk as Boba's allies in his attempt to get revenge on Mace Windu, and so forth.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  22. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Watto would be too old at this point. He aged quite visibly between TPM and AOTC. Too much time has passed. Wouldn't mind seeing more Toydarians though. I kinda liked them in TCW.

23. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I can see a scene where Watto, as an old man, is getting roughed up by some wise guys from Gardulla the Hutt, he gets away and starts to crawl. Meanwhile Luke is driving along with his son in a landspeeder discussing a finer point of Jedi discipline. Suddenly they feel a gathump. What was that? Well, the wise guys are satisfied now.

Just kidding! Watto was a handy character for me once. Someone on the boards was doing a "Larry King" type interview thing. Between interviews, I thought they could use some commercials. His was the first commercial I came up with. Went something like...
    Qui Gon: "Credits will do fine."
    Watto: "No, they won't! What you think you're some sortof Jedi waving your hand around like that?"
    Qui Gon: "Well, all I have left is my Jedi Mastercard."
    Watto: "Well, why-a didn't you say so? We accept the Jedi Mastercard over all other forms of credit. Where should my slave deliver the parts?"

Palpatine77 and Sum-Wan like this.
  24. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    I did like the look of Watto and he was done well I think.

But...I'm not sure I'm dying for him to show up again. Not sure what he would really add to the film... it might end up being one of those things that makes the SW universe feel smaller instead of larger.

Maybe one of his species could show up though. I remember that Jango Fett game they made had a Toydarian female as your boss/contact. They could just create a new character in the same fashion.. (a new personality so it makes his species seem more diverse?). Might be cool..

25. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Lots of Toydarian appearances in The Clone Wars, too!

TheFoot and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.