main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV We are looking into some things in consideration of force users, and are interested in how many peop

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Kronos, Jun 13, 2002.

?

We are looking into some things in consideration of force users, and are interested in how many peop

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Force User

42.9%
  2. Non Force User

57.1%
  3. No preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kronos

Kronos Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
  2. KlarcDarkstar

KlarcDarkstar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I want to be a force user, but I think we should off with the force vitality, I think it keeps it realistic. Just my thoughts

3. Kronos

May 21, 2002
    Thanks for the thought as this has been something we have been throwing around. We have evidence of some characters being tired then into wounds and still having access to the force, but we do want what is best to keep the game balanced.

4. Edylarn_Duahli

Edylarn_Duahli Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Maybe one way to keep balance in the game as far as vitality is concerned, could be to make force vitality 1/2 more than regular vitality. For example (now bear with me):

A character has 140 vitality.
    So 70 is half of 140.
    210 Force vitality.

Character is not injured or tired from havig to dodge damage, so he should be able to use the force masterfully.

When character is injured:

Character now has 20 vitality.
    So 10 is half of 20.
    So no matter how much force vitality the character had, becase he is tired and being worn down, he only has 30 vitality.

This keeps the reality of the game, for I have heard of GMs using a character's regular vitality as his force vitality but it does not make sense that using the force would cause the character to be unable to dodge damage (regular vitality) therefore taking wound damage.

But also it would not make sense that a character, receiving an industrial size can of maximum-strength woop, would be able to use the force masterfully (in this example, 210 force vitality.)

Now if the force vitality was being used to the point that it was less than 1/2 more than regular vitality, it would just continue as normal, but it would never be allowed to be more than 1/2 regular vitality if the player was then to get hit.

Example:

player starts with 120 reg. vit.
    player has 180 for. vit.
    Player uses 80 for. vit.
    player now has 100 for. vit. and 120 reg. vit.

player catches a beat-down.
    player now has 50 reg. vit.
    So now player's for. vit. is 75 as opposed to 100.

If a player is brought down to 0 reg. vit., it can be agreed that the player have from 5-20 for. vit. so the player can still Burst-of-speed his butt out of the beating, and still keep what little pride he has after getting smacked-down.

Well, that's my two cents...

5. Toku_Blint

Toku_Blint Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Personally, I would like to try to play a character other than a force user. However, my experience has shown that to choose a character that is not a force-user is to ensure that I will suck compared to the rest of the players (who usually are force users), and to ensure that I have a secondary part in the plot line. Even with rules that attempt to balance the power between force users and non force users, I have found that it is simply not worth choosing a non-force using character. In battles, force users have great advantages over everyone else. In negotiations, force users have great advantages over everyone else (mind control, ect).

In games that I have played where the GM tried very hard to ensure that the force-users and non force-users had about the same power in battle and negotiation, I found that the plot generally would be focused around the force-users. They would get to have "secret" role playing sessions, and their actions determined the direction of the rest of the plot (and what the group does). Those of us who were not force users spent much time sitting idle while the GM and force-users would role-play outside of the room.

So to answer your question, I would really like to play a non-force user, but unless somehow the game is truly indiscriminate and allows the strengths of non-force users to be equally as vital as force-users, I will chose a force-user in the next game.

6. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I am leaning towards doing away with force vitality. As far as I can tell, it is not in the rules, and the rules, classes, abilities, etc. were devised and revised to try to help there be balance with force users and non force users.

If you are a force user, and have access to these cool powers, what balances it out is that you now have to dilute your skill points among a broader range of skills, and when you access these cool powers, it is at the cost of your vitality. When force users have a separate force vitality, I feel they have an advantage over non force users. An advantage they were never meant to have.

The game is designed to try to balance things. I believe there is a reason that Force Classes have to cross class to gain 'class' access to other skills that other classes have. Besides, Kronos and I have worked out some cool things when it comes to what ends up being your class skills. It's a minor tweak, but I don't think it will screw up game balance. More on that later... (Talon says cryptically).

I vote against it, but that is my opinion of how I feel after playing a character with and without force vitality, and after GMing players with and without force vitality.

Just my 2 cents. Let's see how everyone else feels.

Talon

7. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd like a non-force user charcter simply becuase EVERYONE always wants a lightsaber. I do too, but ...

8. Kronos

May 21, 2002
    It is important to us that all players have characters that matter. So we have been discussing balance and making sure Force users are not at a better advantage or even at a disadvantage. We hope all will enjoy the new game.

9. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    cool, I just got to remember to keep checking your guys forum so I dont miss the new game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.