main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We bring back Social Threads and Look what happens...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AssassinDroid21, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Oh, I doubt anyone would advocate banning social threads. They've never been banned, just limited.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    And if a thread, be it social or not, is not popular it will sink on its own. And if it keeps appearing by the author upping it, the user is spamming and the thread will be locked.

3. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    That's what I used to think. But it seems there are more low-quality threads now than before it became laxer. Plenty of people will post crap in crap threads, myself included.

4. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But I believe it's a function of the novelty of the changing of the rules. The looting will lessen with time.

5. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    I sure hope so. First when it became laxer, the 'looting' (nice term, btw) didn't happen much. People were still to aware of the rules. But more and more they realized what they could do now. So the 'looting's gotten worse.

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And I believe once it gets out of people's system and they saturate the forum, it will eventually come back to center and simply achieve a new equilibrium.

7. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    My biggest problem with these Social Threads is that they won't just become unpopular and sink. I've noticed countless social threads and RPG's where one or 2 posters will post repeatedly over and over and over, and the thread end up being several hundred pages in a matter of hours. That is not my definition of a thread being "popular", but more along the lines of spam.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    You're right, that's what it is. Although subjective, a social thread should have at least more than two members who are merely using a thread in the place of PM's in an effort to achieve name recognition and to increase post count.

9. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I'm against social threads and RPG's that people have put no thought into. They just think..... Oh, that would be fun to make, and then they post a almost pointless thread.

The people that are working with me to make a YJCC social thread have been working for over a month now, and it probably won't be done until May.

Manual Sig:

*****ATTENTION ALL COWBOY BEBOP FANS*****

If you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, please PM me. Myself and six other Cowboy Bebop fans
    are putting something together and if you like Bebop, you should be a part of this. We
    already have over 10 members but we are still looking for man more. Please PM me if
    you have ever seen Cowboy Bebop.

Even if you havent, and love Anime or Manga, just PM me.

Thank You.

Vader

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm against social threads and RPG's that people have put no thought into.

Which brings up an interesting conversation we had in here about a month ago regarding the differences between spam and a new term called fluff.

11. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    And what might that be? :confused:

Fluff..... [face_laugh]

I had a pillow fight last night and the fluff from the pillows went everywhere! :D

EDIT:

Forgot the Thingy.

Manual Sig:

If you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, please PM me. Myself and six other Cowboy Bebop fans
    are putting something together and if you like Bebop, you should be a part of this. We
    already have over 10 members but we are still looking for man more. Please PM me if

Thank You.

Vader

12. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Well flaming does make things more exciting, don't you think?

The JCC forum, in my opinion, is marred by poor moderating. That is why it is liable to flame from the participating members.

A good example of a HEATED argument is the Palpatine-Sidious debate in the E3 forum. Yet very few incidents of flaming happen.

Why?

because it is controlled by some of the greatest mods - Sapient....

13. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Fluff you say? I've heard of this. Its almost like they're starting a new social thread or RPG, just for the sake of starting one. Its like....Ooh, everyone else is making these, I'll make one too. And then you have an entire page on the JCC full of them.

But to determine what is fluff and what is spam and keep it in check, wouldn't that require more moderators?

14. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    But to determine what is fluff and what is spam and keep it in check, wouldn't that require more moderators?

*Points to self* 8-}

Manual Sig:

Thank You.

Vader

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The Sidious and Palpatine thread is a debate, but it is not heated. It is a tiring debate to be sure, but well argued and discussed by all.

16. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    Tiring leads to anger. Anger leads to flaming....

In my experience any debate can get out of hand sometimes....

But this one is well controlled.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The debate is exhaustive, the users unwilling to compromise their position, and it's in it's fifth reincarnation, but it's not heated.

18. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

The JCC forum, in my opinion, is marred by poor moderating. That is why it is liable to flame from the participating members.

A good example of a HEATED argument is the Palpatine-Sidious debate in the E3 forum. Yet very few incidents of flaming happen.

Why?

Because it's easier to moderate a discussion forum than it is to moderate a community forum.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I concur that the most difficult forum to moderate is the JCC.

20. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Yeah, I definitely agree with me, too.

21. FlamingSword

Jun 4, 2001
    I agree with Griffz as well!

That's probably why it's the forum with the most mods and the most problems in comms.

22. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    I agree with me.... I mean you.... I mean me....

whatever

Manual Sig:

If you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, please PM me. Myself and six other Cowboy Bebop fans are putting something together and if you like Bebop, you should be a part of this. We are still looking for many more members. Please PM me if you have ever seen Cowboy
    Bebop.

Thank You.

Vader

EDIT: Flaming Sword, if that is the reason the YJCC has 5 mods, than why does EpiIII Spoilers have 4?

23. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    Then we should assign the most experienced and largest mod squad to moderate that Forum. Focus on the weak spots....

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Because the spoilers forum is the second biggest in terms of posts per day and total posts.

25. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    Flaming Sword,

Two of those mods, are new recruits....

And its Quality, not Quantity...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.