main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We bring back Social Threads and Look what happens...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AssassinDroid21, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I called someone a drama queen several minutes ago and I haven't been banned. Why?

Because that's not how it works. If you go back, you will see I told you that a warning would be forthcoming should it continue on the path it was on.

2. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Amazing...

You want examples...

-Excessive bans. Some of which are unnecessary..

-The flaming is not well controlled...

-No warnings

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I think you're going to have to provide specific examples (ie. links to threads), and not just "No control of flaming."

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Excessive bans. Some of which are unnecessary

That's subjective, as is what you said about flaming.

No warnings

Warnings aren't always merited or required.

5. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    Griffz

Hehehehehehehe........

Try to find this topic in the JCC boards.

"Beautiful Girls are the Devil in Disguise?"

You will find all those flaws I mentioned...

Just so you know. I got the one ban in my life there. For no reason. Read it and give me your thoughts..

And provide a link to that thread. I don't know how...

6. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    Subjective?

What do you mean exactly? What has this got to do with emotional outbreaks?

Mods get emotional when handing out bans?

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What do you mean exactly

I mean that bannings sometimes depend on a moderator's judgment.

I don't understand what you're saying about "emotional outbreaks," or how it's relevant to this.

8. Vader666

Mar 3, 2003
    You said SUBJECTIVE...

Meaning its to do with emotions

OBJECTIVE - means it is non-emotional

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Do you believe that moderating is always objective, and does not require or have any emotions?

Beyond that, subjectivity does not just mean emotions. It also means that people interpret things differently.

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The laws of our land are subjective. We do the best we can but overall I think we're doing alright. I guarantee you that when someone in our group has made a left-field call, the Mod Squad brings it up. We have a checks-and-balance system, too.

11. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Are we talking about social threads like the Prancing Bantha or Hooper McFinnleys ? Or are we talking about the social threads like The Dark Lords and the Lightside of the Force ?

Or are those completely different things. Like one is a Social Organization, and one is a Social Thread?

Manual Sig:

*****ATTENTION ALL COWBOY BEBOP FANS*****

If you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, please PM me. Myself and six other Cowboy Bebop fans are putting something together and if you like Bebop, you should be a part of this. We are still looking for many more members. Please PM me if you have ever seen Cowboy
    Bebop.

Even if you havent, and love Anime or Manga, just PM me.

Thank You.

Vader

12. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I believe that they are speaking of the social threads in the YJCC. :)

13. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    There are B&G threads in the YJCC too.

Manual Sig:

*****ATTENTION ALL COWBOY BEBOP FANS*****

If you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, please PM me. Myself and six other Cowboy Bebop fans are putting something together and if you like Bebop, you should be a part of this. We are still looking for many more members. Please PM me if you have ever seen Cowboy
    Bebop.

Even if you havent, and love Anime or Manga, just PM me.

Thank You.

Vader

14. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    Please do not call someone a drama queen as this is a veiled flame. In fact, it's not veiled in my opinion. Thanks.

I think it's a flame unless it is clearly obvious the two users are on friendly terms and joking.

personally, i think this is ridiculous. the negative stigma of the very word 'drama' is what causes the administration to frown upon any use of the word 'drama' when addressing someone in disagreement. to think that calling someone a 'drama queen' is inherently a flame is taking the sterilization of the boards a little too far, imo.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And you're entitled to that opinion and I appreciate what you're saying. But calling a specific user any name, whether it is 'drama queen' or something else, is a bait with a flame. Unless of course 'drama queen' is a compliment showered upon users as a saying full of lavish praise.

16. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    point conceded. but i still don't think it's all that severe, particularly when the jist of the whole post is reasonable, valid, and not really meant to bait or flame anyone.

//goes back to swooning over jennifer eccleston.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    No, it's hardly a flame that is severe. But it is still a flame and is noted as such.

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    -Excessive bans. Some of which are unnecessary..

I've banned very few people.

-The flaming is not well controlled...

Where? When I see flaming I warn and/or ban accordingly and I read almost every thread.

-No warnings

Just because warnings are not posted (and very often I do post them, so everyone can see and learn), does not mean they aren't given out. A lot of times a PMed warning is better. And I've warned much more often than banned, because I'd rather not have to ban anyone, but sometimes it's necessary.

Amazing.

19. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Maybe sometimes a warning isn't warranted if the offense is bad enough, or if the person is a repeat offender (in which case I'm sure at some point they've already been warned), but I believe warning should be issued out before bannings, in at least 95% of the cases. Give the people a chance to repent before slapping them around, I say.

20. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    When we set to work with the old reform, we knew that no matter what we decided there was absolutely no way we would please everybody who visits the JCC. That might not be possible if there were only three users who had very different views and likes, but with hundreds, it just won't happen.

That being said, there can be too much of something. That is why we did right in a clause that if something becomes a problem, don't be surprised if we step in and say it's enough for a while. All of us knew and understand that there was a good chance that once we posted the Update, we would see a flood of such threads, and so far we have. However... if they aren't posted to and aren't popular, they won't last. People posting is what decides what's on the front of the JCC.

21. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    the mods did a good job of curtailing the copycat threads about Griff today, which were a perfect example of something that would have gotten out of control had the mods not made use of Teh Lock.

EDIT: tai poh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.