main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    LOL @ Toronto FC.

$100 million for Defoe and Bradley. Out of the playoffs before they play their final game.

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    One step forward, one step back for MLS last night.

DC United won on the road in CCL to lock up a top four seed in the knockout rounds. That's good. Portland, however, leaked two goals in the first four minutes and got knocked out, meaning yet again only three (maximum) MLS sides will advance from the group stage in CONCACAF Champions League, and only two US-based sides.

Hopefully, Sporting won't crap the bed.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Great first half. Really good show for MLS, not a huge quality drop-off in play coming from Swansea-Leicester on NBC.

4. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    So, the MLS is disbanding Chivas USA and adding another LA team in 2017. Wouldn't it make more sense to add another team in the northwest where soccer is actually popular, like Tacoma, Spokane, or Boise(or even a second Seattle team), rather than adding another team in the pro sports wasteland of LA?

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  6. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Yeah, but which potential team would be more likely to garner higher attendance, LA 2 or Tacoma?

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hard to say. I'd imagine most of Washington state is Sounders country, hard to pull those fans away.

However, I think the Pacific NW will get another club - Portland is a good indicator.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Do you really think the Seattle ownership group would allow MLS to put a team in Tacoma, or a second team inSeattle? Nope. They would never let that happen. You could say goodbye to the 60k crowds if it happened.

LA is a good soccer market, and can successfully house two MLS sides. As long as one of them isn't racist with heads fully up their own butts.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I think that's a big assumption. Having the Yankees and Mets in New York is good for New York and baseball. Having a 4th northweat team would improve the overall credibility of the league increase profits and improve local rivalries.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    MLS is not MLB. Still a very young league, with a few diamonds - the largest and most visible of which is Seattle.

I would venture to say that Paul Allen is much more powerful than Don Garber. What Inty said is right - nobody's going anywhere near that fanbase and revenue stream.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pacific Northwest will have FIVE professional men's soccer teams next year. FIVE. Three in MLS (Sounders, Timbers, Whitecaps), and two in USL (S2, T2).

While I don't think LA is the BEST choice (hello, Sacramento), it is one of about three choices where established, non-American players will want to go. At least as of now. So, for the league to grow abs attract talent, LA works.

Imagine this scenario, however unlikely it is. Tomorrow, Cristiano Ronaldo wakes up and says to himself "I want to play in MLS!"

Is he going to want to play in Tacoma? No. Probably not even in NYC. He'll want Hollywood or Miami. Hence why the league is pushing for LA2 and Miami Spice.

Long term, if MLS is going to be a top ten our top five league, multiple choices for stars to play in NYC, LA, and Miami will be crucial.

12. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I think that's another assumption. When Manchester United tours in Seattle, they will be impressed and want to play in that reigion, not LA or Miami which has half the crowds. Also they don't have to live in Tacoma they can live in Seattle or any of the suburbs, which have high livability rates.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Everything is an "assumption," as there currently is no team in Tacoma.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's a strong assumption, and I picked Ronaldo on purpose. Look into why he prefers Madrid to Manchester.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If Ronaldo had an attractive sister, then Manchester would be the perfect place for him.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Well Spanish and Italian players might have a preference for the warmer weather but in the same vein English and German players might not.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    David Beckham went straight to LA. Robbie Keane went straight to LA.

18. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Well, they are both married to celebrities(Beckham more so), so I imagine some are attracted to the glitter of LA, but certainly not everyone.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Time for the Crew to kick off the playoffs. Incredibly excited, incredibly nervous. Team has the talent to win the cup, if things fall right. Also, has the ability go out this round.

Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Clint Dempsey left off USMNT squad for upcoming games, including game at Craven Cottage. Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United) and Jordan Morris (Stanford) both called in.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    NYCFC's jersey:

[​IMG]

bit of a problem - this will be my team. but i hate city like a fat kid hates broccoli, and it looks like city

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Just think of Manchester City as a really large, obnoxious shirt sponsor.

Darth McClain likes this.
  24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    1-1 against Ireland at the half. Midfield's been a mess.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Austin AzTex, my new favorite USL Pro team. I might have to go see them play vs Colorado Springs.