main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    They played last night. Horrible PK awarded to Dallas made it a point for Timbers instead of three.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yup terrible call. It was a gift to the home team. And honestly, there have been far FAR worse things that happened in the Timbers box this season that were totally ignored by refs. MLS has the worst refs in top level soccer in the world. Even keeled Caleb Porter said this:

“It's hard to win a game when you're playing against 12 men,” Porter said in his postgame comments. “For me, that's just unfair, completely unfair. I'm not going to criticize anyone specifically, but that's just unacceptable, an off-the-ball call where two guys get tangled.

"I mean, there were 20 other plays in the game that were just like that exact one that could have been called in both boxes. Again, I think it's just an absolute travesty.”

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL of course the MLS fined Porter for what he said. They're pathetic.

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yea it was actually wed. 1-1 tie. Still a good game. I believe they are home on Sunday.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That was not a good game. I thought the Timbers struggled and did not look as good as they have. Add in the atrocious call by the ref and we have a draw that should have been an easy win.

Home match today against Chivas USA. I hope we get the same result that Sporting KC got!

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't want to talk about MLS results right now. not after a three game homestand netted a total of three points.

7. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Went to the Timbers game today. 1st 2 goals looked offsides but still will take the win.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We got pretty much the same result as Sporting KC. 3-0 Timbers. And yeah, Valeri's goal was totally offsides. And honestly, with as badly as the referees' calls went against Portland last year, I am fine with a few bad calls going our way. It's about damn time.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    A real quick LOL @ Sounders fans trying to stay and give traction to Rooney to Seattle rumors.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Always down for a good lol @ the Sounders in general.

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Alright, I have my camera with me. Hopefully I'll get some good shots of the 'Hounds match tonight. I'm really excited to see some US Open Cup action. Local media has reported that they'll put in a bid to host the next round should they advance tonight.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DMC - how was the game? I've never gotten to see a PK shootout live.

13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I love the fact that at Timbers home games, you walk down into the stadium from street level.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    In a word, awesome. If you want two more words, stressful and Igor. Pictures and a recap coming later tonight.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DMC ... Not sure if you saw or not, but if the Riverhounds win their second round game, they will have a home game against the Philadelphia Union in third round. Pairings were announced today. Crew guaranteed a home game. Rapids have possibility of home or away. I might go and cheer on the lower division team if it's in Colorado.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    No, I didn't see that, but that's pretty sweet. A good motivation for the 'Hounds, because, at times, they looked uninspired at times last night.

Last night was a lot of fun. I hung out in the Supporters Section. It was exactly what you want from the Steel Army - lots of energy, chanting, and enthusiasm, with a little bit of drum added in. The 'Hounds gave up an early goal, but they battled back, and tied it up. Around the 70th minute, the manager put in some of the regular starters, and there was a lot more urgency in the match. The winning goal didn't come, though, so they played two 15 minute AET periods. Still no goals. So, then came penalties. They were taken at the far goal, so everyone from the Supporters Section ran down there and watched the PKs, and greeted the players as they walked to the locker rooms. Like I told DarthTunick, it was my first time hanging out in the Supporters Section, and I'll definitely do it again.

Here's the stadium with the Pittsburgh skyline.
    [​IMG]

Number 69 is the opposing keeper, named Igor. We had fun messing with him, and he had a good sense of humor about it. He told us that he was going to retire after next year, and then just sit around and drink beer. He wanted to take a picture with us after the match. It looks like he some how had a few while on the pitch. [face_whistling]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a few of the Steel Army celebrating after the 'Houds goal and winning the match. Lots of blue smoke flying around everywhere.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    USMNT Roster for WC qualifiers + Belgium and Germany friendlies (mlssoccer.com):

GOALKEEPERS (6): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby/Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg/Germany)
    MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Roma/Italy), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor/Turkey), Stuart Holden (Bolton/England), Jermaine Jones (Schalke/Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht/Belgium), Brek Shea (Stoke City/England), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim/Germany), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna/Austria), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur/England), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna/Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Wish that Cherundolo was on the roster. I wasn't really surprised that Donovan wasn't - you've got to earn your spot back on the national team. Glad that Stu Holden got the call.

19. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Ya, looks like a solid group. Hopefully they can put it together and make a good run.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Calling up Shea and Parkhurst, but not Donovan, and claiming rust/form as the reason for omitting Donovan is laughable.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Has Shea even been used by Stoke? As an AM, he doesn't fit their scheme whatsoever, that was such a bizarre transfer- cutting a young kid off at the knees to start his career.

Edit- I guess injury played a role in that, as well. Maybe next year.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, I don't get the Shea inclusion, either.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I get the Shea inclusion. He's a dynamic player who was part of one of the iconic moments in US soccer history. So I get why you call him in. But he's been out injured and is rusty. Just like Donovan. On both sentences I just wrote.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I need to find an MLS club to support. Up until now, I've just been Chelsea and USMNT- not giving too much thought to MLS, but the quality has improved so significantly every time I've caught a game that I am ready to take the plunge.

I guess DC United is closest to me, but not particularly interesting. Will shop around over the summer.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Check the Grantland piece I linked to a little while. Or, I can give suggestions. I wouldn't advise being a fan of Columbus. Too frustrating. Portland is a great bandwagon. Or you can support a more national brand, like Galaxy or Red Bull, as long as you promise to also support a local, lower division team.

heels1785 and Darth McClain like this.