main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Romain Gall, of Columbus Crew SC, converted twice from the spot tonight, giving him 6 goals in 4 games so far at the CONCACAF U-20 Championships.

Kid's got serious promise. Hope he starts to show it at the club level.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, it turns out that when Hope Solo's husband got a DUI, he was driving a US Soccer van. 30 day suspension is not good enough. She needs to be off the team permanently. Other GKs in the pipeline, leave her off the WWC roster.

3. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    NYCFC President Tim Pernetti leaves club before a single game is played. Going to IMG. Replaced by Tom Glick.

NYCFC have also announced a frIendly between then and MCFC, to be played in New York BEFORE Frank Lampard actually moves to NYCFC. Allowing the parent club to once again thumb their nose at New York fans.

It's almost as if NYCFC read Donald Sterling's manifesto on running a team in America and/or see being the spiritual heir to Chivas USA as a good thing.

Heels, it's not too late to jump off the bandwagon ...

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm sticking with them. I need to be a "true" fan of at least one football club, since I already catch hell from diggy for becoming a Chelsea fan the year that the money showed up.

Doesn't look like the best of starts, though. Orlando seems to be operating well, though.

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not to continue to turn this thread into a LOL @ NYCFC thread, but ...

Ground rules for supporters to follow at home games at Yankee Stadium:

[​IMG]

The "must be approved by Yankee Stadium" is bad enough, but a serious LOL at "One Drum".

It needs a twitter hashtag "OneDrum

By the way - Heels, can you rename the thread? Make it an allocation or designated player joke? Or maybe "We can't start for Sunderland: The MLS/US Soccer thread"

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You gots it.

One drum, lol.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You see? A terrible mod, using his misgotten power to bully a fellow user. No doubt he'll deny it!

(There was a time when I'd have made a Comms thread over this for the loldrama)

heels1785 likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    When I find this mod, I promise he will suffer.

hal does not deserve to be bullied over his avatar.

halibut likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Worse than suspected! Using misdirection and false claims of ignorance. Lilly-livered is the term!

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well done, yankheels

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Tim Cahill has been released by New York

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not surprising, given the rumors have been there since before last season ended. RBNY will be significantly worse this season, losing Cahill and Henry, and adding Kleijstan.

Tough job for Marsche, who is already despised by the supporters before he even has a single game as manager.

Good news for Columbus, I suppose.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Miguel Ibarra, of Minnesota United in the NASL, starting for the U.S. today. Yet, RBNY won't pay a small transfer fee to get him into MLS. Because they are somehow run worse than NYCFC.

Gyasi Zardes also starting. Future of USMNT strikers. We'll need him to score in Qatar. Probably Russia, too.

Trapp in the 18. Hopefully he gets some time as a holding mid today.

Not sure why Nguyen can't get a start, though.

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Just ordered my 2015 Riverhounds season ticket plan! I'm looking forward to it. There have been a lot of changes with the Hounds for this year, including an actual head coach with head coaching experience, unlike Niko "Well, he's not going to play, so he might as well coach" Katic. Unfortunately Jose Angulo left for Fort Lauderdale. He'll be sorely missed, but the Hounds are in much better shape now than they were at this point last year.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DMC, did they get their financials straightened out? I know there was some bankruptcy talk, so hopefully they got it sorted out. That stadium is just too gorgeous to not have some kind of proper team to use it.

17. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I haven't heard much on that front from the usual places. They're out of Chapter 11 protection, which is a good sign.

It truly is a sight to see.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Champions League is back tomorrow! :D

But we're left to root for D.C. United and Montreal Impact [face_plain]

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I amended the title back out of respect to dig.

Plus, Liverpool has only dropped one game in 2015, doesn't make sense anymore.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Montreal with a good result on the road to open CCL. Two away goals could prove huge, but they'll likely lament blowing a 2-0 lead. Still, second leg will be a Mexican side traveling to CANADA, and the freezing cold, needing a win or three goals. I like the Impact's chances to advance.

We'll see if United can get a good start on Thursday, too.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I haven't heard of him, but at last check, we needed depth. They play here in Charleston on Saturday night, but without Lampard, I decided to pass this year.

We're about one week away from the season kicking off!

Edit - even though I've yet to have a season to look at them, I do hope NYCFC targets a top class keeper for 2016. There should be some guys looking to make a jump - possibly a Guzan, Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina. We've got subpar netminders this year, from the look of it.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Absolute garbage from United tonight. Just terrible. Need to win by the on the return leg. Two away goals don't mean much when you concede five.

Heels - Ryan Meara is quality in net, and only 24. But, I think he's hurt. Saunders is past his prime, and I don't know the other keeper on the roster. That said, there have been rumors linking Tim Howard to NYCFC ...

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Assuming the Season Starts on time this week and we get a full 34 games, and no other "big" names come to MLS this season, here are my sure-to-be-wrong predictions

Eastern Conference Standings:

1. New England Revolution - This is a damn good MLS team. Star Power (Nguyen, Jones, Agudelo), and a very good midfield to back them up.
    2. DC United - This is a damn well coached team, and it has a lot of continuity from last season. That matters.
    3. Columbus Crew SC - the team got better as they got more comfortable in Berhalter's offense, and they added a goal scorer (Kamara) to help. Should take another step forward.
    4. Orlando City SC - Kaka is a great signing, and should have plenty in the tank. Brek Shea should be a very good MLS fullback. Team has a core that's comfortable together, too
    5. NYCFC - I think Lampard will struggle not only with fatigue, but with adapting. Still, with Diskerud, Villa, and some other good signings, this team should have just enough to make a run into the playoffs.
    6. Tornoto FC - Getting Giovinco now, and not mid season, is the difference. It'll hurt them that they'll lose both Bradley and Altidore for the Gold Cup, which MLS plays through, and I think it'll take them time to gel. But this season, Toronto finally makes the playoffs.
    7. Red Bull New York - No Replacements for Henry and Cahill, as Sacha Kleijstan just isn't enough to make up for them, is a big step back. #RedBullOut
    8. Philadelphia Union - Lots of teams got better in the East, Philadelphia did not. Continuity only goes so far when you have a talent deficit.
    9. Chicago Fire - Magic Mike isn't showing signs of repeating his MVP season. Fire need him to to contend.
    10. Montreal Impact - Don't want to overreact to one good game in Mexico, and this team looked poor last season, and had their best player retire. Anyone counting on goals from Dom Odduro is probably going to be disappointed.

Western Conference Standings:

1. Seattle Sounders FC - Dempsey and Martins are the best pair in MLS. And they have plenty behind them, including Chad Marshall, who if he stays healthy, could win another MLS Defender of the Year award.
    2. Sporting Kansas City - Talent, Continuity, and great coaching combine. Hell of a team, great system. and, I think they'll travel slightly less in the West than they did in the East.
    3. L A Galaxy - replacing Donovan is impossible. But, Zardes looks like he could be the next face of US Soccer. Gerrard will struggle with fatigue and fit, just like Lampard. But, Galaxy won't need him as bad as City need Lampard.
    4. Portland Timbers - they'll rebound from a disappointing 2014 to look closer to the promise we saw in 2013. Injuries are already piling up, but Caleb Porter is one of the five best coaches in the league.
    5. Vancouver Whitecaps - a team with a fantastic defense and a great philosophy, as well as just enough playmakers on offense.
    6. F C Dallas - Oscar Pareja might be the best coach in the league (though I refuse to give that title to anyone but Bruce Arena), and he proved himself worth every cent last year. But, he needs to show he can deliver when it's expected, and not just thrive under low expectations.
    7. Real Salt Lake - too much attrition from their best year, but the spine is still good enough to contend late for a playoff spot.
    8. Houston Dynamo - they'll miss Dom Kinnear, and they won't get Cubo Torres until mid season. That adds up to no playoffs.
    9. San Jose Earthquakes - it'll take more than one off season for Kinnear to get his squad in place to contend. Not enough talent this year.
    10. Colorado Rapids - the heir to the dysfunctional Monarchy that Chivas USA. LOL @ any team that never collects a cent from a dirty shirt sponsor.

MLS Cup Final: Portland over Revolution. Because Caleb Porter YES, Boston NO.
    MLS MVP: Robbie Keane. Narrowly over Lee Nguyen
    Defensive POY: Matt Besler, SKC
    Newcomer of the Year: Giovinco, Toronto FC
    Goalkeeper of the Year: Steve Clark, Columbus Crew SC (YES! I get to make a homer pick once)

Number of coaches Toronto Employs this year: 2

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I actually think Toronto will fare well with Jozy up front, and win the east. Galaxy win the West and Gerrard wins his first league title.