main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I wish he could be President. As long as it doesn't interfere with his lifetime contract to coach the USMNT.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Serious question

How is Canada not better at soccer?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think they'll get there - especially their women's squad, impressive showing in the WWC. Hopefully the success of the WWC will spur an increase in popularity for both genders, as I would say the 1999 WWC did in the US.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not seeing progress on the men's side. Failure to get out of a group in CONCACAF is simply awful. Especially when you consider 8 of 12 teams do it. On the heels of how badly - and when - they went out in WCQ last time, and its a very bad look for Canada.

I think, oddly enough, they are hurt by being in the North America zone of the region. All three teams in that region get automatic berths in every Gold Cup, while every other team in the region has to earn their way in. They means stakes-filled competitive games for the teams they face in the group stage, while they are left to friendlies. And, in general, Canada doesn't have the appeal to get the top notch friendly opponents the USA can and does - Germany, Netherlands, Brazil, and Peru aren't lining up to play Canada.

Despite that, they have professional teams with well-funded academies. They should be producing talent. At this point in time, they should be a top six team in the region (not a high bar), and they simply are not.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, I got them before the final. And Meghan Klingenberg is going to be at the Riverhounds match tomorrow night! Should be pretty cool.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hell of a game in California last night.

At first, with L.A. Galaxy down 2-0 early, it looked like they had really slipped since Gerrard joined them. Then, they score five, including Stevie G(alaxy) netting in his debut, and another goal from Lletget (kid is legit).

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope Chicago can land Drogba - that'd be awesome for MLS.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Hehe

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Quick start for USA.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I hate the ICC and everything it represents. But, damn, L.A. Galaxy and Barcelona played in front of 93,226 last night.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I enjoyed seeing Stevie G and the best player in the world (yankee8255) reunited on the pitch.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Drogba to Montreal.

We'll see how it plays out. At least he didn't end up going to Chicago, as I actually like Drogba.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Really cool experience last night, as I went to the Chipotle Homegrown Game, part of All-Star Week. Among the cool things I got to experience:

• I expected a sparse crowd of between 2000-3000. It was more like 5-7k. Most of them there to cheer on Club America U-20s.
    • Ben Swanson, a 17-year old Crew Academy Graduate yet to play an MLS game was named to the team. I expected him to just be there for the experience or play just a few minutes at the end. He got a full half. Had some good moments, showed good patience with the ball under pressure, and generally looked like a young kid with a lot of upside.
    • Matt Lampson, Cancer Survivor, playing 45 minutes
    • Seeing some of the future guys coming in. Lots of talent in the midfield coming through if these guys keep progressing. Not a lot in the striker corps. Don't see what the fuss is about Palmer-Brown.
    Tonight, it's the full All-Star game. I'll try to take some pictures.

Edit: One more highlight from last night. Landon Donovan after coaching the Homegrown side in a post game interview "No, I'm not going to be Mexico's next coach, but thanks for asking"

Darth McClain likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Super Frankie debuts this weekend!

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You mean Frank LimpHard?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Got a chance to watch the Montreal game on replay. Villa is at peak form - Pirlo and Lampard will get there soon. We really, REALLY need one good centre back with some speed, though. If Drogba had been up front for Montreal, the score would have been much worse - the finishing for Montreal was abysmal, we were getting killed over the top with deep passes.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. I'd talk smack about NYCFC's defense, but Columbus just lost by three despite scoring in the first and last ten minutes of the game. Steve Clark leads the league in saves, but can't come anywhere near a clean sheet. Waylon Francis is a good attacking fullback, but too often forgets that fullbacks are supposed to defend. And, I have no idea why Pogatetz is nailed to the beach at the moment (except his Facebook rant, perhaps)

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Fun fact - when we built the Battery's stadium here in Charleston, at the time, it and the Crew's stadium were the only two stadiums in the USA built primarily for soccer.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hercules Gomez to Toronto.

In a related story, Vegas has set the over/under on goals scored in the upcoming TFC vs. NYCFC match at 15. I think I'll take the over.

Also, ticked that TFC keeps signing players I genuinely like. First it was Bradley. Now Josh Williams and Herc.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Weekend takeaways:

Kei Kamara is good. Very good. Everyone knows exactly what Columbus wants to do with the ball, and you can't stop Kei from scoring. I know he won't win MVP (that's going to be Giovinco), but damn - he should.

L.A. Galaxy are very, very good. Gio Dos Santos - what, what an acquisition. Galaxy do better than anyone else with the DP and other salary rules. They build an actual defense to go with their headline attackers. And what a steal Lletget was for them. If they don't win the Cup this year, it's an upset. And a fairly major one.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Brilliant tifo from RBNY:

[​IMG]

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    As Red Bulls dredges through the world's dumpster to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips, who hasn't done anything of note since 2004.

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Last second header for the win for Timbers against Salt Lake.