main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well Portland is not doing well either. This does not look like a team who just won the MLS cup. They hardly look like a team at all. It's so bad, I barely want to go to the match tomorrow.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No worries, Strilo. You get to beat up on us today.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Oh ye of little faith

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the Timbers lost and I sold my tickets to that game anyway. Picked up a new defender tho. Maybe that will help the **** defense we've had this year.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It was a pretty good game, as was last night's draw with the fighting Michael Bradleys. Thought we were going to collapse into old form a few times there at the end, but 5 games without a loss is a nice run.

Now we just need Lampard back, and in form.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    With Lampard/NYCFC, can you really consider it "back". Has he ever really been there?

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I really think the Riverhounds are trying to break me. Last night's US Open Cup match was awful. The only bright spot the past few weeks has been Vargas, the new keeper. No energy. No idea how to defend. So few quality shot attempts.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Good point, lol. Daily News is saying there's a good chance he starts against NYRB this weekend.

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Timbers have no D.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Yeah, my Charleston Battery got ousted from the same tournament (traditionally one that we have done well in) by a team called The Villages SC.

I didn't see the match, but I imagine the team consisted of 11 golden aged gentlemen rumbling around the field on their walkers - probably the same ones from the TV commercial.

Darth McClain and DarthIntegral like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    There were quite a few "cupsets" in the second round of the US Open Cup this year. Unfortunately, AFC Cleveland was not among them, bowing out to FC St. Louis. I got to go to an Open Cup game last year in Colorado, and it was a ton of fun. Hoping to get to one this year, but MLS teams enter the competition while I'm overseas, so we'll need the 'Pids to win and host a later game.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That was about as pathetic a first half as I've seen in a long ole time.

I didn't miss a Chelsea game this season, either.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Heels, buddy, hopefully you turned that game off at halftime. NYCFC is almost making me wish they could get relegated.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I did, thankfully. That's the team I know and love from last year. Utterly clueless, and without an ounce of direction.

Honestly, if we had to lose, better to Red Bulls and better it be in humiliation. This team ridiculously sat atop the East going into this game, and we aren't even close to a playoff squad.

But we can be. The talent is there, the coach is there. The cohesion is what we need, and it's early.

Much work to be done, much humility to be taken.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    NYCFC also desperately need an upgrade between the pipes. Saunders looked terrible. If I were City, I'd immediately make a call to Colorado. McMath, outside of a few errors, has been solid. But with Tim Howard arriving, he's no longer a starter.

Columbus got a second consecutive draw. This time, on the road. Two points in two games post Kei isn't terrible, and getting a clean sheet is encouraging. But ... That clean sheet came without Toronto having their first choice striker, with some Steve Clark heroics, and a miss that I don't think Giovinco will ever repeat. I'm hoping for an addition in July at striker that can work in the system.

16. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Paraguay flopping around out there tonight.

18. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Good first half goal. I like Zardes speed, sometimes his speed does take away his accuracy for the pass. Fortunately his speed and pass led to that USA goal.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    10 men. Park the bus.

Edit - Hideous officiating. Has not been a problem in the Copa so far, but this is awful.

Outstanding win for the United States. John Brooks and Geoff Cameron are outstanding. Yedlin was stupid, will hurt not to have him in the quarters. Zardes tremendous, has grown up a lot.

20. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Nice to move on. 10 men for a full half. Played really well.

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    John Brooks is an American hero. Watch,though, the US will still probably end up having to play Brazil next :p

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I sure hope not. Peru is not going to be easy, but that massive Seattle crowd will be a huge help.

Thank you, Costa Rica.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Clint Dempsey speared home a beautiful header - great service from Jones, too.

Hold on for one more half, and we'll probably get a crack at Messi.

ma_petite likes this.
  24. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    On to the Semifinals. Crazy game tonight.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, that was a nervy game, especially the last 20 minutes. Really concerned about all the guys who will be out for the semi, but very happy about making it this far... I just really want to go the distance.