main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Wondo and Dempsey are thugs.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I will continue to post this every year because it is full of happiness and joy.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I remember the exact location at which I was sitting in traffic, listening to that goal on ESPN Radio. Will never forget.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes

eat it seattle

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    God Seattle is bad this year. I so love it.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Portland comes back to win 3-2. Good.

This confed cup final is pretty fierce.

7. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    No love for Messi again.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Lol @ Messi

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ugh, I actually hate to see that result. Argentina put on a masterful performance in this tournament - leaving empty handed is pretty rough. Good for Chile, but empathize with the runners-up.

And now we can all look forward to Maradona's incoherent taunts towards Messi in the media. If he hasn't released them already, he's surely to find the nearest reporter he can.

10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Watching Messi miss his PK.....a thing of beauty!

Miss e! Messy!

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785

Absolutely an unfair result for Messi. He, and Argentina, deserved better. Penalties are a cruel, semi-random way to decide a champion. But, for Messi in particular, having the opportunity to take the Penalty to start Argentina's efforts after a save against Chile to open the round ... that's an opportunity you can't sky. Messi needed to be the Messi in that moment, and instead, he was English. And, for Argentina overall, to have a man advantage starting in the 28th minute and not take adcantage? That's unacceptable. Even if they man advantage was negated less than twenty minutes later.

Now, that said. Anyone trying to make this a referendum on Messi or Argentina overall is overreaching. Argentina were unbeaten in regulation throughout the tournament, losing in penalties. The exact same result as the previous tournament. World Cup 2014? Yup. No one beat Argentina over the course of 90 minutes there, either (they just lost in the final in ET, rather than in penalties). 2011 Copa America? Argentina was not beaten in the group stage, and were eliminated in the knockout round on Penalties. We have to go back to July 3 of 2010 to find a time that Argentina lost in 90 minutes during a major international tournament.

Hopefully, Messi was just caught in the moment, and isn't done with the Argentina National Team. Hopefully, he's in the 2018 World Cup.

if not - it'll be a huge loss to the game and the fans. But he's got nothing to hang his hat on, simply because he didn't win a World Cup or Copa America.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well put, old friend.

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I watched that match. Argentina was flopping and slamming into Chile. Even Messi took a flagrant dive. Glad they lost and Chili won.

14. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Messi retiring from national play. Soccer gods were cruel to him.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Great start so far for us in the NYC derby. Lampard and Pirlo feeding the attack together makes a big difference. Stresses the central defense, but holding up so far.

Love the build-up style Viera has implemented - not quite perfect yet, but this team is light years ahead of the one who got curbstomped a month and a half ago.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Frank Lampard, legend. Has totally reinvigorated this team.

Top of the East by 4. We ain't got no history either.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible decision by the NWSL to play a game tonight on a woefully tiny field . The field was generously marked as 58 yards wide, barely technically allowable. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually less than that. Glad to see uproar over it, from post game interviews and social media, but it simply shouldn't have been permitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Shameful. Absolutely shameful. A giant middle finger to those players.

If there is a board that can recall and/or give a vote of no confidence in the commissioner, I hope they do.

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't understand how someone gave that the go-ahead. Just embarrassing.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's the silliest looking thing...

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Time to spend some monies, great Abu Dhabi overlords!

While last night's loss to KC can certainly be chalked up to fatigue, the 2 years of awful play in net by Saunders is inexcusable. Back line still not great, but it is improving, no need to panic with any of them. Feel like this side is ready to contend for a playoff spot, and we have the worst goalie in MLS, without a doubt.

Guzan is an option, with Villa's relegation and lack of funds. Casillas seems to be stringing along at Porto, but unpopular.

Dream option is Tim Krul, also a keeper for a relegated BPL side. Supposedly he's a surplus at Newcastle, and expensive. I'm sure he could find plenty of jobs in Europe - but we'd go from worst goalie to easily the best, should we splash some cash. Plus, he's only 28, so we could lock him up for a long ole time.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not sure Guzan is an option. He'd certainly command DP money, yes? And NYCFC isn't going to jettison any of Villa/Lampard/Pirlo mid season. and Guzan will move somewhere this window, it won't wait for MLS off-season. None of them, nor Guzan, would be in the range to buy down with Allocation/Targeted Allocation dollars, either.

You're absolutely right, though - an upgrade is needed in goal at NYCFC. Just not sure it's coming from Europe.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think we could get Guzan or Casillas for $500K, which is what LA pays de Jong and close to what they pay Zardes without the DP designation. Krul would absolutely take millions to get.

I could also see Viera jettisoning Mix in this window - he apparently hates his guts. That would free up about 3/4 a million on our salary sheet, too.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    His annual contract at Villa pays him about $1.7m, plus any transfer fee (I doubt Villa lets him go for free) also counts against his cap hit in MLS. Can't see him coming home for that much of a discount.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I realize that I am saying this as a fan of a team with 3 players who each make more per year than the Crew's entire annual payroll - but the MLS salary rules are frustrating.