main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Do yellows reset once everyone gets to the Hex?

No, they wouldn't risk Bradley and Jones missing due to suspension against Guatemala, and I think that your lineup will probably be correct. I don't think that they'll leave Bradley in too long past half, though, so Jones could still get his yellow before the 61st. :p

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    AO reporting on Twitter that EJ and Hercules will be starting up top tonight. Citing Bein Sport as the source. We should know for sure here in a few minutes.

Edit: Confirmed

Johnson/Gomez up top
    Williams/Dempsey/Zusi/Bradley in midfield
    Boca/Goodson/Cameron/'Dolo in the back
    Timmy Safehands in goal

3. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I guess I should get feed hunting...I'm excited!

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No feed hunting for me - you saw my plan!

As to that lineup, I like the midfield. It's the most offensive-minded midfield we've had in qualifying. Bradley makes great runs, Zusi provides good service, Dempsey is Dempsey, and Williams is in his natural position. Putting Johnson in to start is a bit more attacking up top than I'd thought (I was expecting another mid, and Dempsey to be deployed as a striker). Let's hope for a couple of early goals and some breathing room.

Edit: Or, maybe not. Dempsey listed a striker. EJ either as a midfielder (huh?) or it's closer to a 4-3-3 deployment. Either way, a VERY attacking look.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I did. I really thought about my doing my plan, but it just didn't work out...I need a night in (or at least, a night closer) after a long and stressful week.

Early goals are going to be huge. Hope the pitch isn't as bad as some reports are saying.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sounds like it was good for my stress levels, heart health, and the bill I would get from breaking furniture around me that I didn't get to watch the game tonight. I need to catch some highlights before I can truly comment on the game, but I'll say these two things:

1) It's worrying that we needed a stoppage-time goal to beat A&B.
    2) It's amusing that Klinsmann's two real angst-creating call-ups, Johnson and Gordon, had the game-winning goal and the cross to set it up.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    This one was fairly nerve wracking. I'm glad that things worked out with Gordon, but I expect there will still be some angst over that choice. Eddie "GAM" Johnson looks like a great choice right now. Hopefully, he'll be able to follow up on Tuesday.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [head_desk]

That was awful. Come on USA!

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Okay, we've got the lead, but don't stop attacking.

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Whoop! Goal #3!

Darth McClain likes this.
  11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    US needs to shore the defense. They can't let Ruiz get G-mala back in the match.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Outside of one boneheaded play where the defense didn't communicate, that was a helluva game. Guatemala threatened only about two times, and the US had good possession, and the US had good chances. They won in dominating fashion, and that was without getting the blatant handball just outside of the box and Bradley being denied a penalty. It was a great win. I feel much better going into the hex.

In fact, I'd call it a great night for everyone not named "Jozy Altidore"

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The defense needs to be more organized in the hexagonal, but you're right...great game for everyone but Jozy.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll actually modify that. The Midfield was so good last night, that I think it begs the question of Jermaine Jones' role going forward. For so long he's been an almost automatic for the USMNT, but Williams and Bradley had such a good connection last night and that was so crucial to possession and attack, that I'd rank him with Jozy for "had a bad night".

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I was really glad to see Bradley do well last night. He had a great game. His set up that would have completed Duece's hat trick was very nice.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    RIP 2012 Columbus Crew Season

It ended with a whimper, with a 3-2 loss at DCU tonight, combined with Houston's win.
    Maybe this one can end Robert's tenure as manager.

:(

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I finally watched Rise and Shine...so good. Really wish that I'd seen it earlier. Also really dug the AO love.

It made me really miss Stu Holden, though.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's official: the 2016 Copa America will be held in the USA, and will be a sixteen-team tournament featuring all of CONMEBOL, USA, Mexico, and four other CONCACAF teams.

This is excellent news.

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I just saw it from Grant Wahl. That's going to be pretty awesome.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Fox/ESPN loose EPL rites.

If it's not going to be on that platform, the logical place for them to go is NBC. beIN Sports already has Ligue 1 and La Liga rights, so it's schedule is likely full for live soccer. The move also leaves Fox Soccer without a domestic league.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That could potentially be very damaging for soccer in the US. ESPN already lost the World Cup rights, and so if they have no real money making league to cover, you can see where soccer coverage would just dwindle, and approach nothing. NBC would be a good landing spot, but to much of America, if it's not on ESPN it doesn't matter. And, if it's not on ESPN, the chances of it being covered on SportsCenter are that much lower.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Do you know how long ESPN holds the rights for US WCQ home and Mexico matches? It has to be all the way through qualification, right?

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    According to US soccer's official website, ESPN holds the qualifying home games rights through the hex. So, all five home games next year will be on ESPN, the game at Mexico will be on ESPN, and the other four games will be on BeIn Sport.

24. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Congrats to Chris Wondolowski who just tied the MLS single-season record for goals scored. The mark was set in 1996, the first year MLS existed. He's got 60 minutes to find the record setter.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's what I thought. I wonder if ESPN will try to get the rights for the next qualifying campaign. I imagine that Bob Ley would really fight hard to keep some sort of soccer coverage on the network. Maybe ESPN will be able to brand it self as the home of the USMNT, even without a league.

And congrats to Wando!