main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wondo was unable to find the net again, so he'll have to settle to tie the record. Still, with the vast difference in quality in the league then vs. now, it's a very impressive feat.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Crew got a 2-1 win to end the season with another victory over TFC. NSFW, so I can't link to it, but Fox Sports Ohio caught a woman with a very happy reaction to the win in the Nordecke. And showed it live on TV.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Deadspin tweeted about it tonight.

So, how about that NBC/EPL deal?

Wonder how the on-screen talent will come together - especially how Darke's contract works.

4. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm sure you saw my post on PST. I like it. I like it a lot. NBC has been the one company taking soccer/MLS seriously. So, I'm glad to see their footprint grow. But, I'm also cautious. As ESPN goes, often so goes the mindset on US Sports. So, if ESPN no longer has a financial interest in pushing soccer, how little coverage will it get?

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, I opened up PST pretty much as soon as I got back home. I'm cautiously excited, too. I'm thrilled that NBC is serious about it. ESPN knows that there's a base there that wants soccer coverage, but without having the rights to much of anything going forward, they probably won't dedicate much effort to it.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think it'll be interesting to see what ESPN does. EPL rights are locked up with NBC. BeIn sports has La Liga. ESPN clearly recognizes the value of soccer and the growing number of people interested in following it closely here in the US. But, how can they get on board? EPL is the most well-known league, and Barca is the most popular team. They have no ability to get either of them. Not sure how long Fox's contract with Champions' League is, but that's the other big avenue. They can rely on things like the Euros, but I don't know that they'll see a treat ROI if that is their only major endeavor.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Fox has the rights through end 2014-15 Champions League season. Not sure when bidding will open up for the next contract.

I really couldn't see ESPN going after CCL rights, like, ever. They'd need more than just Euros/Gold Cup/US home WCQ.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I followed along at work last night, and while it seems the Galaxy weren't very good, they were good enough. Sets up four very fun Conference Semifinals for MLS Cup.

My Picks:

Seattle Over RSL*
    Galaxy over Earthquakes
    SKC over Houston
    RBNY over DCU

*changing pick to RSL if Eddie Johnson cannot play

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Eddie's the game changer in that match up, no doubt. I'll post my predictions once I get home from work.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Eddie's the game changer in that match up, no doubt. I'll post my predictions once I get home from work.

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think the Earthquakes can take the Galaxy!

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow, 'sey. Watch those bold claims. Picking the team that had the best regular season record and boasts the probable MVP of the league who just tied the as-old-as-the-league record for goals scored in a season?

Wow. That's a bold claim.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DMC - maybe you can fact check me here. But, I'm pretty sure the only MLS team with a player to get a national team call-up this year with the US to not make the postseason was Dallas (Brek Shea). Kind of a cool fact.

If we take that to a non-logical extrapolation of causality for prediction of postseason success, we can deduce that the team with the most USMNTers is most likely to win the cup. So, we have ...

RBNY - Zero
    Houston Dynamo - Zero*
    DC United - Zero
    Seattle Sounders - One
    Sporting Kansas City - Two
    LA Galaxy - Two**
    Real Salt Lake - Two
    San Jose Earthquakes - Three

*Houston should get some credit for Geoff Cameron, who got a cap before being transferred to Stoke City
    **LA Galaxy should lose some credit for Edson Buddle, who got his cap this year before being transferred to LA

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hex draw is set for Wednesday at 6 Mountain. Should shed some light on where some games will be (hopefully, Mexico is drawn in a cold month)

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that you're right on your USMNT call up factoid.

Really excited for the Hex draw.

I think that my picks are pretty similar to Inty's.

FSL over Sounders FC (from what I can tell, Eddie's out :( )
    Quakes over Galaxy
    SKC over Houston
    RBNY over DCU

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Egad. The field at the CLink is so horrendous. I hate the NFL stripe that's not the sideline.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    0-0 final in Seattle. Quality result for RSL. Seattle can't be happy to be going to the RioT without any advantage from their home leg. Rimando and Gspurning were both HUGE tonight - lots of great saves on both sides.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Crazy game in DC tonight. Two own goals - including one from DC Keeper Bill Hamid that you have to watch to believe - and Andy Najar getting the stupidest red card perhaps in the history of major competitive soccer. Advantage RBNY as it turns to leg two in NY.

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    landon donovan? isnt that the secret identity of pulp action hero The Shadow?

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Still a little surreal that I'm watching the start of an MLS game on NBC - broadcast TV.

I think KC gets a draw today and sets things up nicely for the return leg at LSP.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Get used to that sensation. :p.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Friggin sweet. Loved being able to watch it.

But, I was totally wrong on the result. Houston with a commanding 2-0 lead heading into the second leg at LSP. Would like KC to win, as without my team in the race, I'd like to see the best soccer possible, and KC is by far the best team in the East.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I hope that Sporting win, but it's tough to overcome a 2-0 aggregate deficit.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Timbers are out (big surprise) for the season, so I am going to have to look around for soccer to watch until February...