main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey, you're gonna stick around and root against SSFC, right?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Seattle Sounders Football Club. Figured you, as a Portland Soccer Fan, would hate them.

Would be odd to have someone around here supporting RSL in MLS play ...

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh sorry, I only recognize them as the ****tle Flounders. And yes I would root for whomever is playing the Flounders.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah. I wouldn't like that.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I pretty much only support the Timbers. I don't mind the Whitecaps or the Fire, but everyone else can suck it!!!!

#RCTID

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Good. We can include you in the list of posters in this thread that don't like RSL. :p

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    big night ahead tonight. Hex draw and a triple header of MLS postseason action. And, it looks like Sporks-Dynamo will be shown for free on MLS Live.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to the Hex draw tonight.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Is there really a lot of hate for Real Salt Lake?

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    There's a lot of hate for stupidly named MLS franchises who try to pander to the foreign market with their team name. That would be RSL and Chivas USA.

ma_petite and Darth McClain like this.
  12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DMC - see you in Columbus in September?

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I hope so! That'd be sweet.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    RBNY - DCU postponed due to the snow storm. Feel bad for the 700 DCU fans who made the trip.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Me, too, but it was probably the right call.

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I was getting excited about the prospect of watching them play in the snow so I'm kinda bummed.

I'm also bummed the Galaxy/Earthquakes game is on so late. I'm not going to get to watch very much of it before I fall asleep.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And Sporting Kansas City is out. Equal cause of loss tonight between missed chances in front of goal and very poor officiating. Referee doesn't award a free kick in a dangerous spot at about the hour mark, and doesn't award a potential game-tying penalty during stoppage time, among many other missed calls that went in favor of Houston. SKC fans will have right to complain about officiating.

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Wow. That was awful. I went to bed when it was 3-0 figuring they weren't going to overcome that deficit and I was right.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I was nodding off at 1-0 and decided to go to bed. Surprised, but not completely surprised, that the champs are still alive.

Now, the winner of tonight's game between DCU and RBNY will be the favorite to host MLS Cup, and the only way a Western team would host is if Houston Dynamo advance to the Cup final.

Edit: This also has CCL implications. If San Jose and/or KC had reached the MLS Cup final, we'd have gone back to the standings for the 3rd or 4th team in. Lacking that, it will be the two teams that play for the Cup. Odd that the US Open Cup Champ and the SS holder were knocked out on the same night.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I dunno... I kinda like the names Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA. It lends a certain international camaraderie to the league. And it's light years better than the New York Red Bulls. Yay America and our corporate sponsorships being right in the frickin' name. And it also beats the utterly stupid Sporting Kansas City.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WOW!

That might have been the craziest aggregate series in the history of MLS.

The first leg has a venue switch that produces two own goals and no goals from attacking teams.
    The second leg finds ways to top that. We get a snow out, postponing it for 24 hours. Then, during the game, Bill Hamid is given a red card and a penalty awarded in one series-changing swoop. Kenny Cooper converts that PK, only to have it called back (correctly), and the just-came-on 'keeper saves the retake. Rafa Marquez, the worst DP ever, then gets a stupid red card to make it 10v10, and DC United get a late goal to take the lead. In stoppage time, NYRB get a free kick at the edge of the box, and Thierry Henry doesn't take it! Instead, RBNY opts to have Roy Miller, who just came on, take it, and he skies it to seal the win for DCU.

Wow. What a game, what a series. And now we need Houston to beat DCU to avoid the horror of seeing the MLS Cup final at RFK.

Edit: And that's forgetting to mention the missed PK in game one, the red card for throwing the ball at your yellow card in game one, and the fact that DCU is playing without their best player.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm totally rooting for Houston just to avoid that issue. DC United really need a new home. When I went to RFK last year, it was a complete dump.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And Najar just got suspended for the entire DC-Houston series as a result of his idiotic red card in the first leg against RBNY. Down Najar for both and Hamid for the first, it's not looking good for DC. Unless, of course, DeRo pulls a Willis Reed ...

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    You never know, DeRo might have it in him.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I had an amazing friday night. I was out drinking with a group of friends and we spotted someone who I thought looked like David Horst (defender for PTFC and one of my favorite players) and my buddy and I wound up talking to him to find out. Turns out it was Horst and we wound up spending the night hanging out with him and Jake Gleeson (Kiwi and keeper for PTFC), plus we briefly met 3 other Timbers throughout the night. They were awesome, bought us beers and kept introducing us to the girls they were hitting on. We had an amazing time and wound up closing down the bar with the guys. It was so nice to meet them and have them turn out to be so cool!