main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That's freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing the story.

Dynamo just got a huge 3-1 win over DCU to start their conference final series. Hard to see DCU coming back from that deficit, even at home. That holding up would mean the winner of Sounders-Galaxy would host MLS Cup.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It'd be near impossible for DC United to come back. The Sporks would have to have a massively bad match to let United win the series.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I can imagine how bad the Sporks would have to play to impact the Houston Dynamo - DC United series ...

:p

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    lol. Fair point. :p

:oops:

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Galaxy rolling Sounders 3-0 right now. Galaxy probably could be up by four or five if they really pressed. Seattle completely melted down. We look headed for a rematch of last year's cup final.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Hope the Flounders got bounced. And yeah it is a great story. I've had great fun telling it today!

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It'll be almost surreal without the Sounders in the CCL. I won't know what to do...I always seemed to catch their matches back on the CONCACAF TV site.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Part of me is hoping to see the Sounders in the MLS Cup Final. If only to see what kind of crowd they'd draw, and what kind of party they'd host. And, to throw it in the face of some of my soccer-hating friends that MLS Cup Final outdraw any World Series game. But, part of me simply can't root against Donovan unless he's playing Columbus.

USA-Russia tomorrow. Interesting squad, with plenty of youth called in. I swapped shifts at work so I can go to our local AO bar and watch it in the morning. Nothing like ordering alcohol at 8 am and then going to work ... and working until 11 pm.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that schedule's backwards, Inty. :p Unfortunately, I won't be able watch tomorrow's game, unless I somehow stream it on my phone. Which probably won't happen, since I've got a huge project proposal to work on tomorrow afternoon. :(

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Josh Gatt getting the surprise start today. Win or lose, I just hope the game is entertaining and makes my schedule swap and long day worth it.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I couldn't find a way to watch (I was helping to facilitate a 600 person + conference), but my Twitter feed was blowing up. Seems like the US was really quite fortunate to get a draw.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I can easily root against Donovan. When he plays in the MLS, he's kind of a princess. And the refs call EVERY tiny foul his way. When he plays for the USMNT I am 100% behind him...

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, the US managed to completely piss me off with poor play, no creativity, horrible first touches and bad giveaway ... and still walk away with a road draw on European soil. I guess that's not too bad.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I missed the match. I need to be more aware of these things so I can watch them!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    We'll keep you updated. I'm pretty well obsessed. Heck, I switched from an opening shift to a closing shift at work so I could go to the bar before the game and watch it!

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The US Soccer page also has a calendar for all national team matches, whether they're friendlies, WCQs, or from other competitions.

But, yeah, we'll probably be talking about all of the big events for days before hand here. :p

17. Schwarma

Schwarma Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm a Spurs fan and I regularly attend games. I am, of course, quite familiar now with a certain Mr. Dempsey, but, I have to say that since he signed for us je jas neem bloody awful. I do know that he was better for Fulham, but he has to pull his socks up as if he doesn't he's going to find hismelf out of the side pretty soon. Most Spurs fans are pretty tired of his underperforming so far.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Whoa! Connor Casey and the Rapids have decided to "mutually part ways". Casey's one of my least favorite players and part of what has made the Rapids thugs, but he's one of the most beloved players in Denver. Crazy to think he'd be wearing a different MLS kit next season. Wonder if Rapids fans are feeling how Crew fans felt when Hejduk (and Schelloto) left town.

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Holy cow! That's insane Inty. All people could talk about what Casey when I was there. Geez.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Houston Dynamo are through to the MLS Cup Final. A 1-1 result was enough for the 3-1 lead coming out of the first leg to hold up. DeRo came on as a late sub and got the crowd into it, but he just wasn't himself and couldn't create and convert the chances to put DC back in it. Tough for DC fans to deal with all the injuries and come up that short.

That means whomever advances from tonight's LA-Seattle fixture will host the Cup Final. Smart money is on LA, but weird things do happen at the CLink.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that Seattle's deficient is just too much for them to make up. Keane and company will put them away.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll look forward to seeing what kind of game plan Arena comes out with. Will he attack and try to use his playmakers (Donovan, Beckham, Keane, Juninho) to get a goal that seals the series and silences the Emerald Army? Or will he bunker and try to protect the lead. Hoping for the former, fearing the latter is more likely. Far more likely.

Edit: Two good signs for Seattle:

1) Donovan not in the 23
    2) Buddle starting for LA Galaxy

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    MLS Lucky Seattle lost on aggregate by two goals. A one goal loss would have made this bad call that much worse:

[​IMG]

That's Eddie Johnson, clearly not offside.

Still, fun game to watch. And we get the Galaxy-Dynamo rematch for the Cup. Donovan's health will be huge for that game. If he can't go, I like Houston to take the Cup.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    MLS Cup Final to be Beckham's last match with the Galaxy ... but not his last involvement with the league:

Guess we now get some fun conjecture on where Beckham ends up next. Australia rumors are already out there. China has the money (and the right exposure to grow his brand further). And then there's the comical suggestions, like Taylor Twellman suggesting Beckham to NY and Lampard to LA, or those jokingly suggesting that Beckham might stay in LA and go to Chivas, just so he can really experience a challenge. This also adds to the speculation that LA Galaxy should do a more severe reset, and move Donovan to Everton in the offseason.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Really glad I saw Beckham play at Jeld Wen Field, then....

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.