main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Would anyone be up for MLS fantasy? It's done salary cap style ...

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How much work does it entail? Not sure I know the players on other teams well enough...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Is it the same set up as last year?

4. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Jermaine Jones had a nice goal for Schalke today.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The only difference I've seen is no more mandatory Facebook integration.

Timo ... Time commitment isn't bad. Just watching for injuries and bye-weeks. Salary Cap store means no worries about trades or anything.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I might be down for that. I would help me learn more about players on the different teams.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd be game.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't think I know enough.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, it looks like Inty's ability to set up MLS Fantasy Leagues is going on the Monday Meh List. :p

But, hey, today is First Kick! And it's about time, too.

Crew play at Chivas tonight. Love starting the season with a very winnable road game. Three points are never a given - especially on the road - but on paper, Chivas is the worst team in the league.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sebastion LeToux got the first goal of MLS 2013, as Philadelphia dominated the Sporks for most of the first half. However, burgeoning Inty Man Crush Graham Zusi scored an equalizer just before the break. It was a pretty easy shot from a rebound, but it was a nice finish from Zusi anyways. Need to see that guy in form as we approach the CRC and MEX matches without Donovan.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    First Timbers match of the season today!!! I am stoked!

12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I got my ticket. Go Timbers!

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice, nice, nice win for the Crew last night. Three points on the road? Very nice. Looking like you actually know how to play as a team and have the ability to generate offense? Even better. Higuain was his normal magical self, scoring a firecracker of a goal. The team looked potent on set pieces all night, and good deliver from Eddie Gaven got the second goal on a sweet finish from Williams. Then, with time almost gone, the new guy - Oduro - showed his wheels (which you better have when you twitter handle is Freakyfast8) and got the third on a breakaway. Overall, some sloppiness with some poor giveaways, but nice to see them punish and dominate a lesser team. If the Crew is able to gel, they just might make my Twitter bravado come true, and make their one game on ESPN - the MLS Cup Final.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Fantastic, highly entertaining game from Portland. Fun to watch.

At the same time, gritty, disappointing, but ultimately encouraging 3-1 loss by the US U-20's in the CONCACAF U-20 Final. Mexico takes the win, but the US U-20's took them to ET on Mexican Soil. It took a beauty of a bicycle kick to put them ahead in ET1, and then a PK/Red Card to give the final, deflating blow.

Still, encouraging to the see the U-20's play so well, and to qualify for the World Cup. Especially in light of the failure to qualify for both the Olympics and the last U-20 World Cup.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Okay wait, that good of a match was played by Portland and it gets two small sentences from you? But then two paragraphs about some U-20s team? Harsh. Admittedly I might not be completely myself at this point in the evening...

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Fine. :p

Nagbe is something else. Boy, do I love watching him play. He has the skill to either lead Portland to a Cup, or get a hefty transfer fee it if Europe ... Possibly both. RBNY looked confused defensively ... If not for a few gaffes turned into gifts from the Timbers, that could have been a 4-1 scoreline. Not sure if the rumor that Henry and Cahill played last night are true.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Houston Dynamo picked up a 1-0 home win over Santos Laguna tonight in CCL play. It's the proverbial "hold serve" win. They have a slight advantage going into the second leg, but not enough to make me think Santos won't advance. The only advantage they have is that Houston will advance with a draw or a one-goal loss by any scoreline other than 1-0. I'd expect Santos to win, at home, by 2-3.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's better! We do love us some Nagbe!

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, as it turns out that "knock" Timmy Howard picked up was actually ... a broken back.

So, that means 2/3rds of the listed "man crush" in the thread title will not be playing in Denver or Mexico. That kind of sucks.

Luckily, Guzan has looked good for Aston Villa this year - not a HUGE drop-off from Timmy. Still, with the problems with mis-communication in the last game, adding another new face back there is not ideal.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Oh, man, that's not good.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Rough time to be a US 'keeper ... Solo injured and out 3-4 months ...

Brad Guzan, please stay fit!

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't trust Hamid enough to be an emergency keeper...so, please, Guzan, listen to Inty.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Friedel tweeted today that if Guzan was injured he'd come back and suit up for the nats. I think it'd be epic to see old man Friedel go down and shut out Mexico in Azteca.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It would be...interesting...to see Friedel back in action for the USMNT. To be honest, I'd like him as an emergency keeper than any other option.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Guzan, Rimando, and either Hamid or Johnson isn't a bad place to be. It's not the overstated depth that some USMNT fans think we have (we're not the GK depth of Spain or Brazil or Germany), but it's not a bad depth chart.