main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "We Don't Want Your Kind as Fans" - Sad Puppies, Gamergate and SciFi

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediSmuggler, Apr 9, 2015.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What a bizarre incident.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I personally liked a bunch of the Honorverse books, but let's be real: Weber has serious flaws that I think prevent him from many winning awards. Chief among them is that the novels tend to be exposition, exposition, and exposition with character interaction peppered in-between. He's also one of the most heavy-handed authors I've read in putting allegories (Rob S. Pierre leading a revolution in New Paris? Really?). He's also rather blatant with his politics in the novels.

One of the reasons I liked 1632 over 1633 is that the former didn't have Weber.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Even that is nowhere near the level of allegory that Heinlein did in works like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and that won a Hugo in 1967.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is an utterly laughable sentiment considering you posted a pro-GamerGate Breitbart link in your OP. I suppose it's okay to destroy and intimidate when it's motivated from the political right.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    He's not entirely wrong in suggesting that the anti-puppy crowd wants to "destroy" the awards by voting "No Award." GRRM mentioned this as well,

http://grrm.livejournal.com/418643.html

This comes in two flavors. The hardliners propose we vote NO AWARD for everything. Every category, even the ones where the Puppies have no nominees. No Hugo Awards at Sasquan, whatsoever. We'll show them. Rather than letting them move into our house, we will burn it to the ground. "We had to destroy the village in order to save it." It worked so well in Vietnam.
    All I've got to say about this idea is, are you ****ing crazy?

The other approach is less radical. Vote NO AWARD in all the categories that are All Puppy. In the others, chose between the nominees (there are a few) that did not appear on either the Sad Puppy or Rabid Puppy slate, and place all the rest, the SP/RP candidates, under No Award.

That's less insane than the "No Award For Everything" idea, but only a little bit. Sorry, I will not sign on for this one either.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, I'm aware of that response, and I agree with GRRM that it's inherently flawed, but let's not play this bull**** song and dance game where this is even remotely an exclusively left wing phenomenon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    GRRM needs to write.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We know just how much of a right wing apologist I am.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wasn't trying to insinuate you were one, just putting emphasis on my primary point. Sorry if it read otherwise.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Ursula K Le Guin must be extremely proud of how far her genre has progressed since The Left Hand of Darkness won its Hugo and Nebula awards.

Frank T. likes this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There are some pretty good modern scifi books out. I know the prevalent opinion on the internet is that everything is getting worse after [x date], but I don't think that's entirely true.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Well... I see that I should have read the article in question. I assumed the article was about stereotypes about sci-fi fans, the way video gamers who play Call of Duty are known as foulmouthed misogynistic homophobic brats who yell raging insults in the microphone, before shouting in the background for their moms to bring their soda? That kind of thing.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    >this year’s nominations for the genre’s (arguably) most prestigious awards, the Hugos.

I keep being told it's irrelevant or it's important. Make up your minds people.

Also for the love of God the Sad Puppies list isn't just white guys.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Awards might be important, I don't know, but the process for selecting the Nebulas is obviously superior.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Can we please find another term for this? "The conservative option" or something? Their complaint is already mind-numbingly stupid enough without having to refer to dogs. I refuse to do it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Piss Babies?

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Anchor babies.[face_mischief]

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know if those authors are conservative or not, so maybe it's unfair to call it the conservative option. Maybe they should call it "The Slate."

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You could just call them "the accused".

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

OK, so is the reason you had a go at Abercrombie to defend the reputation of Jim Butcher? Because this also suggests you're concerned about the authors and any guilt-by-association labels applied to them. The issue isn't who was nominated, the issue it how they were nominated. If William Gibson had been nominated, only a fool would think him a conservative but if he was nominated as part of a wider conservative campaign... and people have issues with that campaign...

I just don't see why you're taking this odd stance, being as how you're not Wocky.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

You could have known this yesterday.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure but you have to accept it's mildly ridiculous as a position to take. You misrepresented one of my favourite author's position quite unashamedly to protect one of your own favourite authors from a slight you only imagined. Top shelf stuff there Vivec; instead of being appalled at that a campaign was lead by a person comfortable making commentary like this:

Edit: Board nanny software got upset with a swears.

Happy Link #1
    Happy Link #2 (second part of diatribe from #1)

(Just to be clear, "she" and "Jemisin" refer to N.K. Jemisin, who is black.)

We are busily striking down imaginary slights against Jim Butcher wherever they may he hiding.

=D=

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Your insistence on misunderstanding your own favorite authors post continues to be hilarious. Also you don't get to point fingers on defending favorite authors.

Also your pictures aren't showing.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001