main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We Echo On (add-on/alternate universe)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Anakin's Angel, Jan 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm amazed that we're still discussing this. It has already been shown that there is no real point to this debate thing and even if we did decide to go through with it we wouldn't be able to find anyone really capable of moderating it without bias. And the folks at LFL are probably waaaaayy too busy to modearte some kind of online debate between fans so that is out of the question.

My biggest question is why should we go through with this in the first place? What purpose will it serve and will it effictively serve any purpose??? I really habve yet to see any good reason why we should do this and so until a good reason is presented, I say that we shouldn't go through with this.

2. I Will Make It Legal

I Will Make It Legal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 1999
    No, you see stinrab, if I were participating, it would probably be called Pimp Wars 2000, or some such thing

3. I Will Make It Legal

I Will Make It Legal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 1999
    No, you see stinrab, if I were participating, it would probably be called Pimp Wars 2000, or some such thing

4. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998
    Kyuuuule, and the rest of you, read blinder's post again.

5. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    Kyuuuule, and the rest of you, read blinder's post again.

6. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    That being blinder's post at the foot of the previous page - right? (Sorry, I couldn't help wondering if "again" wasn't a bit of a mistake.)

7. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    That being blinder's post at the foot of the previous page - right? (Sorry, I couldn't help wondering if "again" wasn't a bit of a mistake.)

8. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I understand the different points of view, but shouldn't the members have a say in it too? I mean, we're the ones who will be debating, we're the ones who people are afraid are going to start flaming, and we're people too. Don't you think we're smart enough to know if we can refrain from flaming? As long as no one here participates, how bad is a troll who gets no replies. You could promote peace by using the doctrine:
    If you can't handle the responsibility, the Great Debate(s) will be canceled and you'll be blocked from all participating forums.

And, without any disrespect towards one of my favorite administrators (oxymoron? ), Chyren, I have read blinder's posts enough times.

9. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I understand the different points of view, but shouldn't the members have a say in it too? I mean, we're the ones who will be debating, we're the ones who people are afraid are going to start flaming, and we're people too. Don't you think we're smart enough to know if we can refrain from flaming? As long as no one here participates, how bad is a troll who gets no replies. You could promote peace by using the doctrine:
    If you can't handle the responsibility, the Great Debate(s) will be canceled and you'll be blocked from all participating forums.

And, without any disrespect towards one of my favorite administrators (oxymoron? ), Chyren, I have read blinder's posts enough times.

10. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Actually (there seeming to be quite a bit of interest in this), such a project would do much better as an unofficial competition. Without official endorsement, it is much less likely that the results will be perceived (however loosely or inaccurately) as supporting any official perception of superiority -- in either camp. Without official endorsement, the project becomes, not a site rivalry but simply a friendly fan competition -- which, it seems, has already begun, sanction or no.

It is all in the spirit of fun, yes?

Kida

11. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Actually (there seeming to be quite a bit of interest in this), such a project would do much better as an unofficial competition. Without official endorsement, it is much less likely that the results will be perceived (however loosely or inaccurately) as supporting any official perception of superiority -- in either camp. Without official endorsement, the project becomes, not a site rivalry but simply a friendly fan competition -- which, it seems, has already begun, sanction or no.

It is all in the spirit of fun, yes?

Kida

12. Armage Bedar

Armage Bedar Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 1999
    Hmm... Wasn't the entire idea based on JN vs. JC? Without the official support of those sites, the idea really loses strength, no?

We might be better if we just have a general debate. Wait a second, that kind of stuff already goes on every day...oops, so much for that idea.

13. Armage Bedar

Armage Bedar Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 1999
    Hmm... Wasn't the entire idea based on JN vs. JC? Without the official support of those sites, the idea really loses strength, no?

We might be better if we just have a general debate. Wait a second, that kind of stuff already goes on every day...oops, so much for that idea.

14. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    Okay, if it eventualy happens, here is how I would do it.

1) Only use two boards.

2) Make a judge panel of two admins from both boards.

3) Have two teams from both boards.

4) Each topic would have two debates. That way, each team can argue both sides of the topic.

5) Allow reference books and limit the debates to Films, Novelizations and Radio plays to limit resources and make things simpler.

6) Use a BBS, but make a time limit between posts.

Suggested Topic:

Obi-Wan Kenobi- Succesful or un-succesful Jedi?

15. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    Okay, if it eventualy happens, here is how I would do it.

1) Only use two boards.

2) Make a judge panel of two admins from both boards.

3) Have two teams from both boards.

4) Each topic would have two debates. That way, each team can argue both sides of the topic.

5) Allow reference books and limit the debates to Films, Novelizations and Radio plays to limit resources and make things simpler.

6) Use a BBS, but make a time limit between posts.

Suggested Topic:

Obi-Wan Kenobi- Succesful or un-succesful Jedi?

16. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Um, Chyren, if you read all of my post you'd see that it more or less reiterates blinder's post for those who didn't quite seem to get it.

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Um, Chyren, if you read all of my post you'd see that it more or less reiterates blinder's post for those who didn't quite seem to get it.

18. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    I suppose suggesting that you stop being a smartass, kyuuule, would be a waste of my time?

The difference between YOU saying something and blinder saying something, is that he is one of the staff of TFN and his word is law, and you are a powerless member who doesn't really ever say anything constructive.

Hope that makes it clear for ya.

Yes, as far as I am concerned, if this idea loses the support of the staff of TFN, which it manifestly has done, then it is dead in the water.

19. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    I suppose suggesting that you stop being a smartass, kyuuule, would be a waste of my time?

The difference between YOU saying something and blinder saying something, is that he is one of the staff of TFN and his word is law, and you are a powerless member who doesn't really ever say anything constructive.

Hope that makes it clear for ya.

Yes, as far as I am concerned, if this idea loses the support of the staff of TFN, which it manifestly has done, then it is dead in the water.

20. Blue Ghost of Shada

Blue Ghost of Shada Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 1999
    If this ever were to happen, and assuming the debate was a two-way debate between JN and JC, the best way I can think of to judge it would be to have a panel of people who are members of both boards, and who post a fair amount at each, which would give us a group of people who aren't biased toward one board or another. While having the admins judge is a good idea, I don't think it would work very well since JC has many more admins then JN does.

21. Blue Ghost of Shada

Blue Ghost of Shada Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 1999
    If this ever were to happen, and assuming the debate was a two-way debate between JN and JC, the best way I can think of to judge it would be to have a panel of people who are members of both boards, and who post a fair amount at each, which would give us a group of people who aren't biased toward one board or another. While having the admins judge is a good idea, I don't think it would work very well since JC has many more admins then JN does.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I don't think there is any more point in discussing this issue. Someone else can attempt to start up an unofficial debate, if you like.

Kyle, the reason I suggested this idea was to build some friendly rivalry, like I stated in my first post. As you all well know, lately there hasn't been much friendliness shown between the various SW sites, so I thought by creating something like this, it would help bridge a few sites and help rebuild some unity.

Of course, the whole point would be to have fun! Perhaps Kyle disagrees, but I originally thought that it would really be some fun, having each board get behind their team and support them.

However, I can see bmilder's point. Unfortunately, there will always be possible posters who will take this further than a simple fun exercise between two related boards. It is unfortunate, but I will accept the Administrators decision.

If there is any change of heart, please feel free to let me know. I still can't help but think if this was properly moderated, and the right people selected to campaign, then it would work. However, like I said, I can accept your decision.

To bmilder, and the other Admins, as an Administrator myself at http://www.jedi.net/Jedi.net I am only to eager to start up something that can be fun for both boards, and to build a bit of unity between us all. The recent Anti-TFN stances are what I am trying to get away from, so any ideas will be warmly accepted.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I don't think there is any more point in discussing this issue. Someone else can attempt to start up an unofficial debate, if you like.

Kyle, the reason I suggested this idea was to build some friendly rivalry, like I stated in my first post. As you all well know, lately there hasn't been much friendliness shown between the various SW sites, so I thought by creating something like this, it would help bridge a few sites and help rebuild some unity.

Of course, the whole point would be to have fun! Perhaps Kyle disagrees, but I originally thought that it would really be some fun, having each board get behind their team and support them.

However, I can see bmilder's point. Unfortunately, there will always be possible posters who will take this further than a simple fun exercise between two related boards. It is unfortunate, but I will accept the Administrators decision.

If there is any change of heart, please feel free to let me know. I still can't help but think if this was properly moderated, and the right people selected to campaign, then it would work. However, like I said, I can accept your decision.

To bmilder, and the other Admins, as an Administrator myself at http://www.jedi.net/Jedi.net I am only to eager to start up something that can be fun for both boards, and to build a bit of unity between us all. The recent Anti-TFN stances are what I am trying to get away from, so any ideas will be warmly accepted.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I see where you're coming from, epic, however my opposition to this idea stems from the current situation of the online SW fan "community" (and I do use that term loosely since some things which have taken place between some sites seem to be more de-constructive than anything else and communities usually strive to be constructive) and how there is a certain amount of tension between some groups of fans who visit one board and the fans who visit another board.

The idea itself does hold merit, don't get me wrong, and it does sound like fun (I was a debate student in high school so I'm always up for a good debate), however it just isn't feasible right now.

(And for future reference, please refrain from using bold face type when referring to me by name, I'd prefer regular type. )

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I see where you're coming from, epic, however my opposition to this idea stems from the current situation of the online SW fan "community" (and I do use that term loosely since some things which have taken place between some sites seem to be more de-constructive than anything else and communities usually strive to be constructive) and how there is a certain amount of tension between some groups of fans who visit one board and the fans who visit another board.

The idea itself does hold merit, don't get me wrong, and it does sound like fun (I was a debate student in high school so I'm always up for a good debate), however it just isn't feasible right now.

(And for future reference, please refrain from using bold face type when referring to me by name, I'd prefer regular type. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.