main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit We Hav to Take a Trip with Jacen Solo (WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SNARK)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, May 25, 2008.

1. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Out of Context Hilarity Power Go!

That is all.

Edit: Although I know I'm revealing myself as an utter noob, what does JINO stand for? I've seen it thrown around a lot.

That is all. (Seriously this time)

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    JINO refers to the horribly written and out of character Jacen that appears in the KJA penned Young Jedi Knight series.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Wrong! JINO refers to the defective clone foisted upon us at the beginning of the NJO.

Oh, Havac? Those alien rights activists were more extremists than anything. Remember that plague they were planning on unleashing, or the slave labor?

And... in your 'HOTF' review, let me ask you. Why is it so bad that the Solo family's happy? I miss that. It was a good thing.

4. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep, I just knew Striker would show up for that one. :p

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    When did I suggest it was bad?

6. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    There. Fixed it for you.

7. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    So... JINO refers to any particular incarnation of Jacen that the speaker did not like?

8. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Correctamundo. ;)

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Previous page. Not exacly 'fond' of them getting along or being nice to their father, it reads. [face_plain]

It refers to ignoring 14 book's worth of characterization and development and tossing it out the window when the author did NOT do the research on the character. Said 14 books came first and should have been respected as being canon.

That is what I object to.

10. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    RK, that's Havac being ironic. How many 14-year-olds do you know that are giddy at seeing their father? I've yet to meet one, actually, even with really good families. Even the ones that like their dads are still a bit, "Uhh, yeah, that's, uhh, my dad, and he's, uhh, he's all right..." :p

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I was pointing out that it was highly unusual, and slightly mocking the fact that KJA obviously avoided rather more normal child-parent relationships ("Daaaaaad! You're embarrassing me!") to show a happy young-reader-friendly family unit.

That's no judgment on the deed itself; I get along very well with my family, if you must know, and I strongly support everyone else doing the same. It's still an obviously cheesy over-cheerified bit of fiction.

In other news, I've finished The Lost Ones and will return to making with the funny in short order.

12. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, the way LOTF ignored NJO annoys me too. :(

13. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    Umm... given the fact that NJO was about twenty books, I think Striker is referring to.. YJK? Maybe?

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    ... Yes, correct. The NJO ignored Jacen's prior characterization in the YJK and pretty much tossed out a legit good character in favor for JINO.

And I didn't mind it when my father hugged me in public. I still don't mind it. And since it was technically just family there, there's even less reason for it to be bad.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Not from the sound of what Havac's been saying.

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I hereby ban all unironic use of the term "JINO" from this forum.

From now on, any who broaches this decree will be subject to summary mockery.

Which, erm... I suppose this decree does little to change the status quo...

Carry on, then. [face_blush]

17. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Way ahead of you, Trip. I've declared a jihad on anyone using any -INO word non-ironically.

18. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    I don't know you any more, Trip.

Or should I say...TINO.

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Part XXIII: The Lost Ones
    In which our hero is neglected by his parents

20. So, despite this being a series about Jedi students, KJA seems to be allergic to showing actual Jedi training. The first book avoided introducing it and just gave us people levitating leaves. Shadow Academy had them go on a field trip and get kidnapped. Now, three books in, he just can't handle that Jedi Academy anymore, and sends them on vacation to Coruscant. Wow, he got sick of the premise after the first book and completely ditched it by the third. Nice.

21. On the other hand, this gives us the opportunity to let the kids run around doing their own thing without even having to worry about how come they're not actually in school. Except for the part where we realize that Luke might be a doofus who lets the kids do whatever they want, but how come Han and Leia just let their children run wild across the Coruscant cityscape? I mean, seriously. And where the hell is the Secret Service here? But I'm getting ahead of myself.

22. So, we open with Jacen cracking horrible jokes. I hope this phase doesn't outlast this series. So, the kids are going to Coruscant, with their friends, for vacation. And to see their really really good friend Zekk, who, in a shocking coincidence, is only mentioned anywhere ever now that they're going to Coruscant to meet him.

23. Continuity note: the time given for how long they've known this expert scavenger works out to be almost the exact same time Jacen was running around scavenging parts for their Special Non-Adult Droid. Serendipitous.

24. Jacen can't concentrate on his dejarik game because Tenel Ka is sitting next to him. This is the book that finally goes out in the open: yes, Jacen fantasizes about being bench-pressed by the decathlete of his dreams. He's got a crush. Awwww. It's so sweet.

25. They then go to play a game where the twins shoot at debris from the Falcon on their way in, doing their civic duty to cleanse Coruscant orbit of trash. This isn't actually very exciting, and basically just serves to give us Important Future Plot Information about debris and provide an excuse for a dual ANH Quote Homage.

26. They land, and yay family, and Jacen tries to give his gem to his mom, and Mommy refuses Mommy's Boy.

27. Then they go hang out with Zekk, who shows up by dropping from a statue. Wow, how unconventional and endearing! Tenel Ka is startled and wraps him up in her Action-Girl Fibercord Thing. Obviously this is the setup for a 'ship. I mean, come on, this is how Dathomiri warrior-women show their love, right? Charming meet-cute. Obviously they're destined for love.

28. Zekk leads them off to go scavenge some things. This must be very exciting. They wander around the undercity, with no security, into very dangerous places, where mom would be upset if she knew and all that. How come mom doesn't know? How come she lets her kids wander around with a street child on Coruscant, of all places? This ain't Alderaan, lady.

29. They go to steal a hawk-bat egg so they can sell it on the black market. Seriously. Jacen is gleefully oblivious to the whole treating-animals-well thing; he just likes to use them to amuse himself, so what would he care? So they steal it, and Momma Hawk-bat comes back, and is very angry. Jacen finally gets a chance to use Heart, and calms her down.

30. They leave. Zekk, who is a total jerk, leads them through the bad gang's headquarters and taunts them. Then the Lost Ones attack, and the kids have to flee and barely escape, and Zekk somehow manages to act like he totally didn't see that one coming. KJA doesn't even try to explain it or make it make sense, either.

31. So they go hang out with the poor kid at his poor-kid apartment, and invite him to a banquet. Then they go on a money-blowing vacation to the poles without the poor kid and whoop it up in the snow. Then they think to ask mom if the poor kid can come, because they kinda in
    DurararaFTW likes this.
  33. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

"This is getting out of hand."

This forum isn't big enough for both our sarcasm. :cool:

"Now there are two of them!"

34. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree with the lack of repect of some authors that ignore what came before.

35. CadderlySoaring

CadderlySoaring Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2008
    And just to answer the question more directly if you're wondering what JINO stands for specifically, it means "Jacen-In-Name-Only".

*enjoys using JINO in unironic fashion*

Let the punishment begin.

36. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    Wa-a-a-a-i-i-i-it a minute! We didn't get any creepy out-of-context moment with Jacen and Jaina!

37. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hmm did I miss anything... or was it in a later novel that the YJK gang went nude-bathing in the Yavin rivers (piranha-beetles anyone?)

then there is in Lightsabers tenel ka in a bacta tank healing her stump... though Jacen never sneaks in to see here naked in a tube of lubricants... (oh I am ahead of this topic already!) bring on Lightsabers... the cheesy fun starts there!

38. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    OK, way to go. You just ruined the whole hilariously creepy thing by removing the hilarious part and taking it straight to creepy. There goes the tidbit I was going to give.