Lit We Hav to Take a Trip with Jacen Solo (WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SNARK)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, May 25, 2008.

1. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    I am unaware of this "Legacy of the Force" you guys speak of. For me, Jacen, Jaina, the big three and others lived happily ever after following the Unifying Force. The only Legacy I am aware of is on that happens long after they are all dead. :p

On a more serious note, thanks to Havoc and Trip for a very enjoyable read. It was always a delight to see a new post by one of you especially when I was at work and needed something to laugh at. :cool:
  2. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    "because shatterpoint is just a physical thing about how you can make everything explode just by touching it now . . . someone needs to actually read Stover's work"

Yeah. Of course, if you notice, the only authors I can remember who actually read any of Stover's works were John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, and possibly whoever wrote that Mace Windu comic for TCW (the characterization in the preview was definitely playing off of Shatterpoint). Instead, it looks like they just read whatever is in the Holocron concerning his works, which is why they think that A) Vergere's real name was Darth Chicken and B) Shatterpoint is explody-touch and C)Jacen gained 50 DS points in Traitor. Heck, even the authors who wrote the NJO didn't really read Traitor that carefully. Vergere in DW is not Vergere in Traitor. Because apparently, books that actually make you think are BAAAAAAAAAAAD.

How is the Troy Denning of Star By Star the Troy Denning of LOTF?DN? I find it hard to believe that it is the same author.

So, what exactly is Trip's theory about Force Lightning?
  3. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
  4. Magnuskn Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks, I've read the thread, or at least all your summaries. And while you think that the NJO is somehow far better, I think it just sucks less. That the quality of LOTF was even worse than the NJO is no excuse for that series being the prototype for the disaster of LOTF.

But, as I said before, I'll give the NJO that they at least tried an uplifting ending, although I found even it incredibly bitter.
  5. MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I found myself getting intrigued as well. A halfway decent Sith Lord in this series? Could it be...?

To quote Jerry Seinfeld: "It does OTHER THINGS!!!"

Yeah, that about sums up my reaction to LOTF in retrospect.

I think you could basically describe this duel as being like the George W. Bush vs. Lincoln lightsaber duel from Robot Chicken. Doesn't this sound familiar?

Jacen: If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you--no wait, let me finish! *dies*
    Jaina: Hehehe, take that, Darth Sidious!

=D= =D= :_| :rolleyes: [face_tired]

A Bag of Potato Chips-Calrissian: The Winning Ticket in 2012.
    Because Lando is all that AND a bag of chips!

This was an amazing end to an amazing thread, Havac. We had our shining light in Traitor with Badass Hero Jacen and for about a third of Invincible with Badass Villain Jacen, but those days are over now. Still, we had a lot of laughs (more at Jacen's expense than at his terrible jokes) and it was fun while it lasted. And what a wonderful Christmas gift, too!

Bravo!
  6. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ragnos.
  7. T-boy-wan Force Ghost

star 3
    My vote went to the chips but only because the option for a Waru/Jar Jar/Jaxxon triumvirate wasn't available at the time.
  8. darthadimentsu Jedi Master

star 1
    I have just reread the whole thing, a masterwork, a beautiful achievement, it is what Del Rey should publish next, as a commemoration of a character we knew, thought we knew, knew better than the authors, loved, hated, indifferented, emulated on occasion, admired on others, despaired at on the rest. Farewell Jacen, farewell we 'hav' to take a 'trip', you will be missed. (Retrospective on Anakin, anyone?)
  9. Jaleou Jedi Padawan

I just want to congratulate Havac on finishing this journey. I had come across the thread about a year ago, and then forgot about it. I'm not a big forum reader (or poster, obviously). I found it again a few weeks ago, and read every post, and found out I only had to wait a few days for the final review to go up. This was very entertaining. Good job.
  10. xx_Anakin_xx Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't realize we'd gotten the final installment. That was great as they all have been and I am truly going to miss the ironic humor this thread has provided. Like T-Boy, the 'snark' matched my actual thoughts while reading, except of course, not put as humorously. One point you touched on was the rather confusing form in which that first battle was fought on the asteroid. It was worst than trying to make heads or tails of Final Crisis 6 & 7 - and you couldn't even turn the book and study the flashy pictures upside down for hidden revelations that didn't exist. Turning Invincible upside down and drawing my own flashy pictures was fun, but didn't clear anything up.

The rest of the storyline moved along better, with the characters being unreasonable for the most part, but at least I was clear about that. By series end, I found myself pretty much hating everyone who'd lived and bemoaning many who'd died - not exactly what Denning had in mind I'd imagine. But as usual, your humorous synopsis has put it all back into perspective. Great job!
  11. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Huh. That's actually an interesting discussion. Is he planning to resurrect this or do some other related discussion?

EDIT: and I also hope that Jacen gets more EU appearances in the coming months. If he gets a character arc in Invasion, is there any chance that it will be snarked? Assuming that it is a meaningful arc, of course, and not just some annoying namedropping.
  12. LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Knight

star 3
    Someone does steal his wallet.
  13. MaggieSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, I haven't finished reading this whole thread yet - I'm only halfway through reading the NJO books, and I want to read Havac's reviews after I read each book.

BUT, I want to say, without this thread I would have never had the joy of thinking of Pellaeon's mustache as it's own ferocious, bristling, badass character.

Thank you, Havac and Trip!

Alright, now I've got to get started on Star by Star. Nothing bad happens in this one, does it??[face_worried]
  14. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope, it's by far one of the more hopeful, uplifting titles in the NJO series. :)
  15. MaggieSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    :D Oh, thank god, I don't think I could take the stress of another character death...[face_mischief]
  16. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    Might I recommend not finishing the last half of the book? I mean, it's dreadfully boring, and not a whole lot happens. And in the books that follow, any characters that are thought to be dead or missing, just know that they're on a super secret mission and you'll eventually see them again. No lie. [face_peace]
  17. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
  18. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    [face_laugh]

That's every bit as terrible as it is funny.
  19. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Letting the montage end at TUF was so much of a right move that I might openly cry if I admitted to still caring that much about SW literature.
  20. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Trip, Havac, thank you guys for this thread. Seriously. Especially you Hav, you have made Star Wars and Star Wars fandom fun again. There's been too much of this taking things seriously and having "sooper suriuz" discussions about this crap that was fun when it all began lately. Especially with people ragging on a character and then anyone that has an opinion that differs from their's. I'm glad I waited til the end to read it all the last 3 days. Thank you.

Also, having just read Green Lantern: Rebirth while standing in a Powells today... I'd almost like it if they Parallax'd the entire LOTF. Jacen was infected with Abeloth or whatever Unknown Regions weirdo never before heard of threat that's like Parallax they can come up with and he works with Anakins Skywalker and Solo in the Netherworld to get redeemed after death or whatever and everyone is all "whoa, what?" I'll even accept a scene of Han Solo being all "I don't believe you" like Batman was to Hal. Whatever. Just, WTK? LOTF basically destroyed 20 years of development(or psuedo-development) in one agonizingly drawn out half-assed stroke. To top it off, that was on top of the NJO doing another agonizingly slow killing of nearly an entire generation of new heroes. And I read it all.

Bah. Thanks for the laughs.
  21. MaggieSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, so I finished Star by Star. And yes, I cried like girl. But it's ok - I am a girl.

Now I face the depressing task of reading 3 books that don't have Jacen in them and therefore have no corresponding summary by Havac. Argh!

But I will say 2 things about Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream:

1. I've only just started it and suddenly I love Lando. Outta nowhere.

2. Even if the rest of the book sucks, I had the pleasure of reading Luke saying. "There is evil on Coruscant. Tremendous dark side evil."

That's right folks, evil is bad, but there's nothing quite as bad as Tremendous Dark Side Evil!
  22. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Stupendous Dark Side Evil would be worse. And I'll note that there's a very brief summation of DJ and EL in the beginning of the Traitor post.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys; I'm just really glad I was able to entertain (now, if I made you think at the same time, then I'm really really glad; if I made you appreciate Jacen a little more, then I'm really really really glad).
  23. DarthDragon164 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Then prepare to be really really really glad.
  24. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
  25. Ice1605 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Wow, this whole thread was absolutely hilarious! It was a great read. Each post was filled with humor, while illustrating how badly the authors messed up Jacen's characterization, especially toward the end of his regrettably short life.