main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit We Hav to Take a Trip with Jacen Solo (WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SNARK)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, May 25, 2008.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, that's actually what I wear, too.

He heard it through the grapevine that Tenel can't braid her hair with one hand anymore. So he sees this as a great and exciting challenge and devises a technique, which he sends to Tenel Ka. Apparently, Anakin is now equally interested in puzzles both machine and hair. Basically, it's stupid. It's just so pointless . . . I was expecting it to come in later, with Tenel Ka forced to braid some vines together to make a rope or something, but it went nowhere. It was totally extraneous.

2. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    So you fit the bill then. :D

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Well, his recaps have been quacking me up

4. MasterKenobi1138

MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2008
    =D=

Even though I was fond of the YJK books as a kid, this is such an amazing thread. Can't wait for the next installment!

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

Oh man, from now on I am picturing Hav like that.

*wipes a tear*

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

So you fit the bill then.

:rolleyes: :D

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    This is what I look like thinking about this: -_O

I can see the hair braiding being a big thing for Tenel Ka herself (trivialities often are for girls that age), but since the grapevine Anakin heard this through was likely comprised of adults for whom that difficulty wouldn't even be registering, the basic premise still doesn't make sense - aside from the oddness of a little boy being captivated by the idea of figuring out a hair braiding puzzle. And you're right: for that to come out of nowhere and have no involvement with the plot is abysmally bad storytelling. But then, this is KJA we're talking about. :oops: I appreciate your taking the time to explain, though. :)

8. CadderlySoaring

CadderlySoaring Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2008
    I have the feeling this thread will be my highly bookmarked "Most Hilarious TFN Literature Thread of All Time" by the time it reaches its conclusion.

So I would like to give early props to Trip and Havac for making it worthwhile.

Definitely should be included in that sticky about worthwhile topics from here when it's all said and done. =D=

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Jacen and Jaina told him.

And I'm glad everyone is enjoying this.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    can this be the precedent for Marakin? Anakin getting interested in redheads...?

11. MasterKenobi1138

MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2008
    Marakin?

[face_worried] :(

Of course, now I'm very sad just thinking about the two great characters that were knocked off by what I'm calling the Plot Kitty Snipers.

Kitty Snipers

12. DarthPard

DarthPard Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2008
    I'm sort of hoping Havac finds some Maracen as he reads. :D

13. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hehe... Mara is not in the YJK books, sorry

but... think about this:

Anakin got interested in first Tenel Ka, then Mara...
    Jacen angry that his bro wants his girl...
    then Maracen happens
    then Jacen angry that Anakin even wants Mara => Marakin
    then Jacens evil masterplan,... Anakin dies accidently
    later he kills Mara
    and if Tenel Ka would not want him, she'd too be offed.. but luckily he was stopped

Vergere was never at fault, nor was Lumiya! it was Jacen after all... poor Vergere was just his excuse and stepstone he could blame!

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Well, okay, that's slightly less cringe-worthy. They might have mentioned hair braiding. Still bad storytelling in general, though - but first class snark. ;)

Oy vey. :oops:

15. DarthUr

DarthUr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Meh. Sometimes it feels like red hair is a requirement in Star Wars. If you're a girl and you want to be cast as a Star Wars character you need to have red hair so people can tell you apart from Leia.

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Part XXVI: Jedi Under Siege
    In which our hero begs for help

17. Have you noticed yet how relentlessly passive and pathetic our hero's role in the YJK books is?

18. I have.

19. So, KJA, capitalizing on his realization last book that the filler is less obvious in continuous action scenes, makes the whole book one big action scene. Regrettably, he was forced to set it on Yavin 4, but he mostly gets around this by not showing any actual (oh, the horror!) learning, just fighting.

20. So, they land, and in a gigantic stroke of luck, no one's actually attacked in the stretch of time in which they elected to come warn Luke personally rather than just call and say, "Hey, attack coming." Jacen tells jokes to relieve the tension. He needs a better coping mechanism.

21. Now I know why Luke didn't last very long as a general. His battle plan? KJA seems to be under the impression that Tionne and Luke are the only adults on the planet, which is really dumb (Abel put the lie to this anyway by putting Kyle there during the attack, and Kam and Corran were almost certainly there as well), so Luke . . . assigns Tenel Ka to teach the students ground combat tactics in like a five minute crash course. Not, like, Kyle "Combat instructor and general deity" Katarn. Or someone else who isn't a thirteen-year-old kid. Also, they probably shouldn't send a message to alert anyone to the fact that they might face an attack. Luke needs to know a nebulous "more" before such an action could be justified. It's unclear exactly what this "more" is. Jacen gets assigned to monitor communications. Finally, a role you can halfway justify putting a kid in. That's the last time we'll see that.

22. Peckhum lands. The Shadow Academy shows up. Gee, they're jamming. A little too late for the distress message, don't you think, Master Dumbass? Anyway, rather than do the job Luke told him to do, Jacen makes Jaina do it and runs off to free his pets.

23. Luke calls a council of war. Basically, this means that he gets a bunch of kids together and says, "Let's run and hide in the woods! Fight hard, even though I only saw fit to give weapons to my bestest favoritest students ever! Don't bother staying together. I'm not going to attempt to actually coordinate anything or take care of anyone. Don't die now, OK?"

24. The Academy got shields set up just in this book, just for this attack. A commando TIE fighter slips inside the shields anyway and blows them up before the battle even begins, so we're left wondering why even bother. However, rather than use the fact that he's inside a TIE fighter to his advantage and just shoot the shield generator, the TIE pilot lands, gets out, and carefully places explosives to blow it up. Yes, that's so much more efficient and so much less risky. No Jedi shows up to stop him. No one appears to even care. Dammit, Skywalker, get on the ball.

25. So now all the Special Favorite Jedi get more commando missions. Jacen is sent to take the Shadow Chaser and send that distress message. Whoops, the hangar's bombed and blocked in now. Oh, well, here's the Lightning Rod. Let's take that. Oh, good, Peckhum's here. He can fly her. At this point, Jacen's presence becomes wholly redundant and pointless, but he just goes along for the ride anyway. Let's face it; he's useless anyway. He's not going to do any more good on the ground. The other kids get various elite missions, like taking on a fully-powered Nightsister who's the Second Imperium's second-most-powerful Force user, or running into the middle of the field of fire to repair the thoroughly wrecked shield generator.

26. Alright, I'm going to get Jacen's plot all out of the way in one go, because he's more useless than ever in this book and does absolutely nothing. They fly up. Second Imperium forces in orbit. Uh-oh. Jacen sends a grave all-channels distress message, then asks Peckhum, "How'd I do?" in a totally misplaced bit of flippancy. They go back to the surface. The
  28. DarthPard

DarthPard Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2008
    Excellent coverage, Havac! But dude, no mockery of THE JEDI TREE? Come on!

29. chickwlightsaber

chickwlightsaber Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2008
    Oh my god, the tree. How Lucas put the kibosh on Wookiee Jedi and not on Jedi trees, I have no idea.

30. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Eh, we already had Ood Bnar and T'ra Saa, so...good precedent, probably.

Anyways, hilarious update. I think this is the last one I've read, so from here on, I'll be enjoying your coverage of KJA's...uncharted waters, so to speak.

31. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Jedi tree mocks itself. There's really no more to say.

32. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008

None shall pass?

33. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Admiral Ackbar's badassery knows no bounds. :D

Seriously, one of the few redeeming traits of KJA is his use of Admiral Ackbar. :p

Joking aside, KJA does make it appear that the Supreme Commander of a galactic military force apparently never works in his office on Coruscant.

--Adm. Nick

34. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah . . . he seems to be unaware of the existence of any other fleet officers. I wish a couple of the Random Ackbar Rescues in the NR era had used some different officers -- Bel Iblis or somebody. One of the few things TNR did right was using Wedge instead of Ackbar (though Wedge is the second-most-overused officer, so I'm not sure it's that much better).

35. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

this is why luke isn't out on the front lines. he's lettin' the force command his troops.

36. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Feel the Force flow through you, guiding your actions. If you open yourself fully to the light, the Force will be a poweful ally to you... while I run the kriff away and hide.