main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    You were able to get halfway through Hancock? I couldn't get past five minutes

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    THOU ARE NOT GETTING WILL SMITH AS JOHN STEWART EITHER. THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN.

Darkslayer and VadersLaMent like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

What does this have to do with anything? These aren't the X-Men, aside from a few isolated cases, these characters are not mistrusted. If you are looking for a film where ALL the characters are mistrusted as "alien," that's not an accurate representation of how these characters are typically represented.

I'm not talking about Joe Blow trusting or not trusting the heroes, I'm talking about governments. Like in Arrow you see some people regard "The Hood" as a positive force, while law enforcement does not. Batman at times is shown in a similar regard. I'm not aware of Wonder Woman or Flash being widely regarded with distrust.

IMO, MoS seemed to pull some inspiration from Superman: Earth One, volumes 1 and 2. Volume 1 has an alien show up and similarly demand that Kal-El turn himself over or Earth will be destroyed. And Vol 2 ends with the government approaching Lex Luthor and his wife about developing ways to take out Superman, should he ever become a threat. In Superman: Secret Identity, the government is constantly making attempts to track him (though this "Superman" is not Kal-El) with Superman constantly evading their attempts which is somewhat alluded to in MoS.

It's been a while since I've read the first two volumes of the New 52 Justice League reboot (and I only read the first arc of JLA). But the Justice League forms in response to the threat of Darkseid, nobody mistrusts any of the heroes except the US government which tries to use Steve Trevor as a liaison to the Justice League but eventually things deteriorate, Amanda Waller is convinced that the Justice League could become a very real threat because they are not being held accountable by anyone to the law and forms a government run Justice League of America (Vibe, Green Arrow, Steve Trevor, Catwoman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Stargirl, a new Green Lantern) as a countermeasure to the Justice League (Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc.) should they ever become a threat.

In Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, we see some cooperation between Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne in the form of Luthor providing kryptonite to Bruce.

There's plenty of precedent of super powered being A being trusted while super powered being B is not. Like in comparing the Avengers to the X-Men in Marvel.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Eight, supposedly.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Drawing inspiration and adapting elements of the story aren't that far apart. No, it isn't a direct adaptation. I wasn't claiming it was. But adapting something from a story and using it to tell another story has been common practice with comic book adaptations, especially in the last dozen years. In the case of Miller's work, age is brought in that both Alfred and Bane point out that Bruce is not only too battered, but he's too old to keep doing this. Sure, he's not fifty five, but being around forty and trying to fight isn't exactly wise either. He's young enough to be credible without makeup, but old enough that he's already past his prime. Having a direct adaptation of a comic book isn't ever going to happen, but taking those elements and using them to craft a new story is about the best that will ever happen.

No, but if they pledge a loyalty oath then they'd be accepted. Besides, who says that the JLA has to be government sponsored. That didn't happen right away in the comics.

True, but that's only after the first mission that they're government sponsored.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I don't think they are going to rip directly from the New 52 continuity and storyline, but perhaps borrow aspects of it.

The New 52 Justice League title begins with all of these characters already existing in the world and merely shows how they came together. Man of Steel introduced us to the Superman of this new shared universe, while it doesn't seem like they are going to retread Batman's origins with Affleck but instead assume that the audience is familiar with the character and instead begin the story with an already experienced Batman.

Personally, I would love it if they went the route of Marvel and gave each hero their own introductory film (except Batman) before uniting them all in a Justice League film. But the inclusion of Batman AND Wonder Woman in the next film has me anticipating that they are going to try to fast track toward a Justice League film with as few preceding films as possible.

Personally, I'd love it if Wonder Woman's appearance was nothing more than the briefest of cameos. Perhaps a post credits scene of her on Themyscira as a tease for a future Wonder Woman film, but in the event that they are just going to throw her into the mix as quickly as possible, I see it as a possibility that like the New 52, all these characters might already have established themselves in the world by the time of the Batman/Superman film and that we'll merely see the beginnings of them organizing by the end of the film.

The inclusion of Waller is just something I'd personally like to see eventually, even if not in this next film. She's not a mandatory character, but I think she'd be an excellent character to serve as the face of those that distrust the heroes, perhaps even working in conjunction with Luthor as Superman: Earth One teased (though Waller did not appear personally, the defense department does approach the Luthors).

Though iirc, she was killed in the Green Lantern film, so they'd have to ignore that film, even if Reynolds ended up returning as Green Lantern, to accommodate her.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That wasn't what I was meant. I just pointed out that in "The Origin", they weren't a team yet. I think whatever Goyer and Snyder use, it might be a bit from "The Origin", but I think it might be more along the lines of "JLA: Year One". Or at least from the DCAU, where the other heroes were already established but we see them in quick cameos with the ending teaser being the JLA film.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if Batman and Superman decide that fighting crime is stupid and people are stupid, so they form the Dead Poets Society of America instead?

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Said nobody, ever

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Why not? Obviously I just said it...

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Excessive patriotism gets rather grating.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Because studios need to turn a profit, and that means they can't make a JSA over a JLA film because they need more than six people to see it.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That besides, reviewing the roster of this "team" it is a bunch of idiots that no one would want to work with or hear stories about. They may as well have included some Stretch Armstrong characters.

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So your saying only 6 people read JSoA? I love what Geoff Johns did to the series. "Thy Kingdom Come" is one of my favorite comic book stories out there.

Thats just your opinion. Not a general consensus.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Most people don't read comics nowadays.

16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    [face_rofl] good one!

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I aim to please.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Objectively, "most people" have never read comic books.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Between films about Ant Man, X-Force, Sinister Six, Doctor Strange and a Justice League Dark (don't know if this was cancelled or still planned), if the DC films come anywhere near the success of the Marvel films, JSA could be plausible eventually, though probably not for awhile or until after DC exhausts films about the big names. I was surprised that a Justice League Dark film was in the works at all, regardless of whether it was cancelled or not.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    As far as I'm concerned the most interesting line-up the League ever had was
    [​IMG]
    I actually find the trinity a bit boring, but a good script could change all that.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, but the thing is this.

Every single one of those projects you just mentioned is completely stupid, with the exception X-Force.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Doesn't really matter. Marvel is going to milk every last property it has as long as they keep making money. If DC enjoys remotely similar success I would expect a JSA film eventually, stupid or not. Or perhaps as a TV show as DC seems to be developing it's TV properties with a Constantine show in the works and a Flash show spinning out of Arrow, and even a Booster Gold show that's trying to get off the ground.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Ant-Man and GOTG will probably be the first flops.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe WB should be all like "**** you copyright laws/logic" and have Batman and Superman team up with the Watchmen?

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The reason they won"t make a JSA movie is because the average movie goer doesn't want to see a superhero dressed like the guy in the FTD florist logo. That, and name recognition.

(Sad, but true.)

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.