main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL "We lost Tiree, lost Hutch." - The CF MIA thread.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Sithman, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Ever wonder what happened to those people who came to a few meetings, or maybe just one, but you thought were really cool, and wondered why they never came back? Or maybe just people who haven't been to a meeting in ages.

Okay, maybe you don't wonder, but I do.

So, because I've been thinking about a few CFers that I met and thought were cool people, but who I haven't seen in a long time, and some only once, I decided to create this thread for those CFers who have gone MIA. The ones who simply left or stopped attending. Partly to see if anyone else knows where they are, and partly to see if this'll bring them out of lurking and get them back to meetings. :p

I'll start:

Burton - Ortugg: He used to come to the Black Sun meetings all the time when they started up, and he was at the 2003 BBQ, but I haven't seen him in probably 10 months. Anyone know what happened to him? Other commitments on meeting days? Lack of intest? I really enjoyed his company and really had a great time talking to him. Mmm, Burton, if you're out there, get back to the meetings! :mad: I miss you. :) Oh, and I'm sure Liam misses the meetings too, man! :p

Bruce - I forgot what his screen name was, but he attended some Black Sun meetings, came out to 2003 paintball, and I really haven't seen him since. I really liked the guy, and and had a good time talking to him. If it helps anyone remember, he was always into Star Wars t-shirts and foreign versions of action figures. Where are you? :(

Theresa - FlamingSword: She's more of a JCer than CFer, but she came to the 2003 BBQ and paintball, and hasn't returned since. Fun person to hang out with and a fellow JCer, like me. Where or where have you gone? I know you haven't left the JC. :p

Anyone else? I'm sure you guys from the early CF days have more people that you wonder what has become of them.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Rabid Wolverine

ROFL

3. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    LMAO. Yes. I want him to actually come a meeting.

As long as it's not paintball. I don't want a gun in that man's hands. :eek:

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Ah, Rabid Wolvie... the likes of him will never be seen again. He may return, but it wouldn't be the same.

As other MIAs go, the rule on message boards tends to be "out of sight, out of mind." Too bad, really. I did a little searching in the archives and came up with a handful of names I haven't seen in a while (keep in mind that I pretty much keep to the Chi-town board, so some of these characters may have popped up elsewhere recently; it's not like I actually CARE that they're gone or anything)..........

Jedigal - she was with us on the old boards, if memory serves. Then, like so many others, she disappeared.

StarChicWars - she loved me and must return, even if she was probably just Jeff in drag

JediLars - a nice guy who hasn't been around since January (according to his profile) I'm pretty sure I remember him posting a birth announcement, which would explain his prolonged absence.

Stardreamer - not that any of us miss that pr!ck, I just wish we could be sure he's gone for good

And where's Rex? Didn't someone say he was getting internet access soon?

JediJeff -
    ya got a lotta talent,
    but ya failed to see:
    ya paid for yours
    I got mine for free

Anyhoo, I'm ending this post cuz now I'm sidetracked going thru all the old threads. Memories.....

-Le Penguin,
    who'll be busy for the next several hours scrolling thru this:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1436115&start=1449483

5. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002

Burton (Ortugg)has real life issues with his job....I hope that he will be back soon....we miss him and Liam...

6. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    It's ironic that you started this thread Sithy, cuz I would consider you being missing in action, :) It's been awhile since you've made it out to Graham Crackers, and I'm pretty sure it's been awhile since I saw you at a bookclub. Maybe I missed one and then missed you because of that.

I actually saw Bruce at WizardWorld. He says he keeps hoping to make it to Graham Crackers.

I miss Burton too. But RL is a pain.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "It's ironic that you started this thread Sithy, cuz I would consider you being missing in action..."

Hah, when I read that, I thought you were kidding. But I just stopped to think about it for a moment, and I actually haven't been to a CF event/meeting since paintball. :-\ That's quite a while I guess. I suppose I just didn't realize how long it's been. Well, I'll be at Mark's BBQ and since I'll be moving downtown in less than a month, I'll be attending more city meetings.

"Burton (Ortugg)has real life issues with his job....I hope that he will be back soon....we miss him and Liam..."

Hmmm, did he tell you that? Or you just kind of assumed? I haven't heard anything from the guy. :( Any details, or is it pretty much private stuff? :)

8. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    To sum it up (hopefully well) on one of the thread's he posted that they might close down the place where he works, and he would have to take a job anywhere they sent him in Illinois, so he was saving money in case that was true.

9. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Good more city CF'ers!

10. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Another person that I hasn't been down in awhile is General Kenobi. I understand tho' since he has to travel pretty far being from Wisconsin and all.

11. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I smell a "Sithman & the City" sitcom...

See if you can cast Kim Catrall; she'll do anything these days for $300.

Anything.

-Le Penguin
    "Switcher, you are one sick puppy."

12. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    "They like me.....they really like me!!"

Hey all. I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive and kicking.

For the time being my job is safe, but my work car took a dive on me and I had to get another one, so money is still an issue.

I've also been really getting into writing/playing more music over the past few months. I hope to have enough material soon for an album.

Liam has been begging to come to Grahmn Crackers again and I expect to make a trip up there soon. ( I also have a Sandcrawler on order through G.C.he he)

My buddy Phil has been asking about the October toy show, and we have another co-worker who has expressed an interest in going too.

Thank you for your concern Sithy.....It's nice to be missed...even if it's by a bunch of geeks.

( by the way, I'm extremely jealous that you all got to hang out with Steve Sansweet!!)

13. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Stardreamer - yeah, he was a complete putz, wasn't he? I think he ended up becoming a crackhead in Cleveland.

BlueJediLapis - We haven't heard from this girl in ages. Maybe she's afraid of you, Sithy...

XMaverick & the South Benders - They used to make the haul out to CF events, but it's been, what, two years now? Longer, probably.

On the other side of things, Burton has (obviously) resurfaced, at least here on the board. Also, Rex made an actual, in-person, live appearance at the Old Country Buffet after Whirlyball earlier this month. So he's off the MIA list for now.

14. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Carrie-

I also thought of telling Sithman he should be on this list. It feels like I haven't seen him for a year, though it has probably been less than that.

As far as I know, the Black Sun will still represent at the October Toy Show. I'll make sure to bring a lawn chair for you Burton.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm not quite frozen in carbonite. I plan to be at the BBQ in a few weeks.

16. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    man, MIA CFers...for us old-timers, the list is longer than my arm. heck, our first president is MIA for a long while...then there was obi-wan andy from the TPM line...and brian, the oddball who ran our first message boards...and brian the un-oddball who actually showed up to an event for the first time in years at the ESB backyard drive-in!

the streets of chicago are littered with the carcases of old CFers.

i do miss xmaveric, though...he was a fun cat. and i think darth jurist should pop up more...she surfs through every once in a while...but not often enough!

and le_penguin posts too damn much. does that count?

but what about that matt springer fool? i hated that dude. i'm glad he's not around anymore.

17. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Does credible imitation of a daisy.

I'm here everyday, just not posting as much. At the moment I'm in over my head with DragonCon planning, only 7 days to go. eep!

~H~

18. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2004
    Dinsdale!

19. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    What about that guy who always said "Dinsdale"?

Ahhh, the good old days.

20. TK-1164

TK-1164 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2002
    The Y-Wing pilot's name was "Dutch" not "Hutch".

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Geek. :p

Ooooh, wait, now I think I remember the action figure. "Dutch Vander", right?

Crap, now I'm a geek; I posted his last name and everything. :p

EDIT: Had a comma splice. [face_blush]

22. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    tangent... every time I hear that line, my mind wants to translate it as "Lost Starsky, lost Hutch!"

Which of the two Brians that Darth A mentioned is Brian Allemana? I've never met this man, to my knowledge... unless he was at one of the Backyard Drive-Ins I attended.

23. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Brian Allemana was at the last backyard drive-in that happened before I left chicago...it was empire in june.

The other Brian I haven't seen or heard from in years.

Bosh is actually pretty amazing at staying in touch with old CFers, in my opinion...he's been keeping tabs on Allemana for a long time, as well as other lost souls.

24. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    ...even despite the restraining orders.

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Jedigal - she was with us on the old boards, if memory serves. Then, like so many others, she disappeared.

Yeah, I miss her too! About a year ago she last posted on the StL boards and that's the last we heard from Jedigal. I know she logged in about a month ago, but didn't post. From what I understand she was so instrumental in creating my club. I'd really like to see her return!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.