We made it...AOTC *Official Review*

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by TIEace, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just thought I'd get dibs on posting this. :D Check out j's review on it as well.

Obviously, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure that well have plenty to say.
  2. Pellaeon69187 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I somehow knew you would post this
  3. Crix-Madine Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I am leaving in about an hour or so for the 12:01 showing. Have to get there early seeing as there's already a bunch of people there!

Till after EP2! :D
  4. -NaTaLie- Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, this is not my review - but my friends in Russia have seen it and they're raving about it! They say everything is awesome and it looks really beautiful! Although one guy said the acting is a bit lacking at times - but I could say it about any SW movie :)
  5. Ryno Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got home from seeing the movie. I am still trying to get my thoughts in order but I have to say that I loved the movie. There was very little that I saw that I did not care for. Perhaps the Threepio jokes. I can't figure out what the critics have been complaining about. I thought that this was right up there with ANH and close to Empire.
  6. WackyBelfast Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just got back from seeing AOTC at Randolph DLP. (Ryno, you beat me by 1 minute!)

"Lucas, you have seen the future and it's definatly DIGITAL all the way"

The theatre was nearly packed, a few seats here and there (even one right beside me!), I had a prime spot, in the middle, about 6 or 7 rows from the center walkway split, wanted to get there for a good seat.

People started arriving around 9pm, I was there around 9:40, there was about 6-8 people there, even sone guy near the front playing on a laptop, with some movies, and a game or three... I evded up talkign to a very nice young lady from the Cape or New Bedford, but if it was you i was talking to, it was a pleasure to talk to you.

The Matrix teaser WAS NOT not shown, that wa a disappointment, although I had seen them earlier in the night on Entertainment Tonight.

Onto the film, well, FANTASTIC, BLODDY FANTASTIC. Digital projection may gets it share of knocking (cost etc and it'll never match the warmth of film), but when you see it for the first time, no cracks, blemishes and what sound. The sound is possibly one of the most important pieces of the movie, and with John Williams's score, the movie is spot on with effects and the dialog is extremly clear.

AOTC zipps along very well, some minor moments that you wonder, some dialog delivered very rough and not timed very well, some effects shots not what they should have been (anakin riding that beast in the grass fiend in Naboo).

BUT, the positive.. Hayden plays anakin very well, almost sometimes a little like in anticipation of what's to come in EP3 with him becoming vader.

Padme's character is very well done, and obiwan, wow, has ewan made that his character.

The presentation of the film, is totally eye dropping. Every shot is so clear, crisp and without a defect.

The action, especially the end battle scenes are a look into what ILM/Lucas can now do, lets see ANYONE beat those effects, even the Matrix! I'm serious, the effect shots are truely out of this world. Laser bolts, dust, particles and every part of machinery in the mix, along with those hundreds of Jedi in that arena, we only saw glimpses of what was to come on the net with leaked and published photo's, but the whole arena scene was very well organised (apart from the rather short demise of Jango, would have liked the Windu/Jango battle to have lasted a little more!).

Please, YES, will I go back to watch it, YES. and please, if you can watch it the way Lucas intended it to be shown, in DLP, you will not be disappointed.

Finally, to those two or three guys who had those amazing lightsabers in the theatre, those are truely the best versions I have ever seen. If you hang out here, let yourselves be known.

A very happy and tired StarWars fan... Got work tomorrow but it was worth it, every minute of it.
  7. Crix-Madine Force Ghost

star 4
    Well friends, I have just returned from the show. Awesome, to say the least. Well done, and quite well acted. Ewan and Sam Jackson stole the show in my opinion, and Jango was simply the man. THE man. Yoda, well....you'll see :) .

Can't wait to see it again, very close to being my favorite one, might beat out Empire on my list...

I have school in...about 3 hours.

Till next time.

"This party's over"
  8. Jedi_Master_Arra Jedi Master

star 3
    AAAHHHHHHHHH! You lucky people!!! :eek:

I'm going tomorrow. I'll tell you my comments then. :D
  9. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    BEST MOVIE...EVER!

What a great change from TPM! More action , mroe serious acting...and the effects...

Everyone was cheering when Yoda had his little battle!
  10. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Little? Judge the battle by Yoda's size do you? And where you should not!
  11. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heh. Well, I guess I should say short battle...not in terms of Yoda's size. :p

It was for like 30 seconds, but those are some of the best 30 seconds in Star Wars.
  12. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I know I need to see it again before making my absolute opinion. Same with TPM. It a lot to take in and process.
    To Hoth with the critics! Lucas is making the movie he wants. You don't like it? Don't see the next one...if you can, but I know you will so you'll have something to whine about.

Speaking of whining, it's obvious Luke gets it from his dad... :D

Anyone else get chills when the saw Anakin's hand??

And I have to say, after reading the graphic novel, the dialog doesn't seem so bad in a comic book. Which is always been part of Lucas' inspiration. But there was an important bit left out of the movie (assuming the comic was done from an earlier draft/cut)

After Anakin tells Padme about the Tuskens, he really breaks down. She says something to the effect of having anger is human. Anakin says repressing it is being a Jedi. She says You're just like everyone else, you're human. and they hug. It's a great scene that should have been left in!
  13. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Whine is strong in your family. Your father had it. You you have it. Your sister, well, not her. ;)
  14. WackyBelfast Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is my review, some 9 hours after seeing AOTC it still runs around in my head as one of the most monumental films I have seen to date.

I have to admit, it's beaten ESB as the best StarWars movie ...

I've been thinking about it since I got up this morning, defiantly I am going to see it again this weekend, will drag my niece and nephew along so that they can see a digital movie on Sunday, sorry guys that I cannot go to #12, but I'd be killed if I went to see AOTC on Saturday AND Sunday.

I have read on the front page of the TFN about the unfortunate errors from theatres regarding the screenings of AOTC and I sympathize with their dilemma's. A theatre should have "tested" the equipment to make sure that it worked, there are simply NO EXCUSES and for theatre management to act like that "don't care" attitude is simply unacceptable, I work for a high profile company that interacts with the public on a daily basis, and this kind of attitude would get staff and management FIRED immediately, paying customers are your bread and butter, not pieces of meat to be thrown on the barby!

That did not happens at the Randolph DLP, If it did, I would have been knocking on the managers door to find out what was happening, none of this sitting to see if it "corrects itself!" attitude, action needs to be taken in these circumstances.

In Randolph, with a nearly packed house, the lights dimmed, a few trailers rolled out (Gold Member, MIB2, Minority Report and some mike kid basketball movie, no Matrix2 trailer as it was reported, maybe in a "non-DLP theatre it was broadcast!) and then the crowd cheered as the StarWars scroll looked on the big screen.

My reaction to seeing the movie a very long 9 hours ago, BLOODY FANTASTIC.

Visually stunning, with a superb soundtrack and sound effects, with an appreciative crowd that ooh'd, ahh'd and laughed at the right times , especially when Yoda made his appearance at the end (most of the time though you could have heard a pin drop, it was that quiet), I especially liked the scenes with Yoda commanding the clones troops, this was simply amazing, to the final battle scene, just out of this world, I think NO ONE could/would/should have expected the Yoda/Dooku fight scene to be that intense, the book does not do it justice.

Talking of the book, there were quite a few scenes missing from it, lots of stuff with Anakins mother in it, the Tusken camp and Anakins/Shmi/Padme "I slaughtered them all" scenes, think there was an extended grass scene on Naboo, the entire Padme family stuff, and I think a scene with Jango or the way the book described it that Jango blocked Obiwan's view of his jetpack in the doorway, I lent the book to a friend, so I cannot be entirely sure. I'm sure there are more references in the book that did not make it onto the screen, I do hope these scenes make it onto the DVD.

One thing that struck me was how Lucas managed to tie up some loose ends (the death star reference and some stuff regarding the rise of the emperor), overall I think that Lucas has now satisfied the StarWars fans with a second installment which is much much better than the first, and has bettered in my opinion ESB as the best StarWars film to date.

One noteworthy point. Skywalker sound has simply outdone themselves, the sound effects are just like candy to your ear, one effect in particular, the seismic charges are just so mind freaking amazing they have to be heard to be believed.

Story wise, the movie trotted along quite nicely, lines delivered to give way to the next film in this saga. In particular, it was nice to see Jimmy Smits in a nice role, this role I hope will get expanded into a much larger one in EP3. And those aussie/nz accents, I defiantly recognized them (my brother now lives in Melbourne, a "pommie" you might say!) and the arena scene with all the Jedi hopping around and flashing light sabers, very intense (from what I remember reading, the mass of Jedi were members of some aussie sword fighting club that were banned from competing so they hired the lot of them for
  15. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lengthy, but I read it. :)

One thing about trailers:

The Matrix Reloaded was shown in Lawrence. Promises to be a fantastic movie!
  16. DemonicJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    My Review: *droool.......*

The Matrix trailer was shown @ Chestnut Hill, looks cool
  17. JediGrl831 Jedi Master

star 4
    WOW. I think that is the only thing I have to say and I think I said it over and over after the movie got out. I'm definetly glad I made it to a midnight showing cause it was lots of fun.

But, it was great. Loved it. Especially those last huge battle scenes. And Yoda kicking some butt, it was my absolute favorite part. I don't think I could express my excitement there...I really couldn't contain myself, I think I said something to the effect of "WOAH!" and started to clap.

My poor friend Kim had never seen a single Star Wars movie before, but she agreed to come with me. She did really like the movie, but she was in a bit of culture shock with all the colorful people. LoL. She's like "Oh my God, there is a guy dressed up as a Jedi." Too funny, but it was def. worth bringing a new comer to the film!

Anywho, I'm so tired...had to get up for six to bring my friend to the airport, which means I got about two hours sleep and I'm going to see the movie again today with the family...so, I need a nap!

But, it was awesome and fun, and I love it! But, dear God...would someone please just shoot Jar Jar Binks?
  18. GasCabbie Jedi Master

star 4
    It was worth the nine bucks for the "That's why I'm here" line. Well, maybe not, but it's still great stuff.
  19. Jedi Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved it. I think its my second favorite SW movie behind Empire but I have to watch it again to be sure.
  20. JediRaanic Jedi Master

star 4
    just woke up.......I am still beside myself.......what an amazing movie!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything was great...loved it....

There were 2 and only 2 things I didn't like about the movie...Jango/Mace fight waaaaay to short and "This party's over" line just thrown in...didn't seem as cool as in the commercials....anyway...it was amazing!!
  21. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, the Jango/Mace fight should have been longer, but that finishing move Windu did was pure sweetness.
  22. Jedi Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked that line. It didn't seem out of context to me.
  23. TIEace Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    After he said it, the theater burst into cheers and laughter.
  24. DarthMog Jedi Knight

My favorite scene was Anakin show his Darkside in the Tusken Camp. Did everyone manage to catch Qui Gonn's voice yelling to Anakin just as it cuts to Yoda. That whole scene gave me chills. Also, Boba giggling with joy when Jango is shooting down Obi Wan in the Asteroid feild was the perfect subtle touch, IMO. I'm going to see it again in a little while, then in DLP this weekend.
  25. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    Best Movie Ever! :D

I can't go with you guys on Saturday, but I'm gonna try to catch a DLP show @ the Boston Common Theatre on Monday night. From what people are saying, the difference between DLP and standard movie is like night and day.

AOTC just beat ESB on my top SW movie list.

MTFBWY!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.