main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph We make our own Luck: The Halo Universe Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The Halo universe is most known for it eight video games (with more on the way) but even before the 2001 release of Combat Evolved Halo had it a novel named, The Fall of Reach, as a prequel to the first game. Now the universe include eight games (as mentioned before), twelve novels, twenty or so short stories, a webseires, a TV series (with a second one on the way) and numerous comics.

This thread is to discuss the Halo Expanded Universe and the the games.

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
  3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I've never dug too deep into the EU for Halo, but I did really enjoy The Fall Of Reach. I was sad that Reach (the game) didn't find a way to tie into the book. There were a couple nods but I had been hoping for more.

I was really impressed by Forward Unto Dawn as well. I thought I'd just be waiting for Chief the whole time but the characters were done really well. I actually kind of felt an attachment to Lasky come Halo 4.

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I was happy to see Lasky in Halo 4 and then I remembered what happened the last time we saw him.
    R.I.P. Chyler Silva. :(

5. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Really, all the characters in FUD were better than Noble Team. I just didn't give a hoot about any of them.

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I agree Noble Team was bland. Still Reach is my favorite Halo.

Also I you liked the Fall of Reach you should read The Flood too.

7. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Yeah I've always meant to get around to it.

I haven't gone through Halo 4's campaign again since I first beat it. I knew about Cortana's rampancy from Halo Legends but aside from what was going on with her, I could not tell you what the actual story was for the life of me.

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The rampancy took over but she used it to kill the Didact and sacrifice her life for John .

9. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Yeah, see I don't even know what the Didact really was.

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    He was an ancient Forerunner "general".

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Playstation! Playstation! Playstation!

12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    And what does that have to do with Halo? :rolleyes:

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We the Sony community have hijacked this thread...

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Jedi-Anakin-Solo You watched Halo Legends? How did you think it was and what was your favorite episode?

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    We have a lot to discuss about this matter.

16. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The Package by far. It was action-packed and full of classic Halo dialogue. Loved the space stuff (which we don't see enough of in the games), and the action in the ship, with them even going to first person view at times to mimic the HUD.

Loved the way the Sangheili commander ordered parts of the hull to be detached, such an overkill and desperate move to try and stop the Spartans from reaching Halsey.

Only minor problems: Halsey was portrayed as way too young.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The creative liberties taken by the animators is one of the many things that don't allow me to fully enjoy Legends. But despite that The Package is one of the best stories there. My favorite is the one with the ancient Arbiter, even despite the feudal Japan imagery and manga tropes.

Considering how very difficult it is to discuss Halo EU without talking about the games themselves, shouldn't this thread be in the Games forum?

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well we talk about the Star Wars in Lit and bring up the movies when needed so what's the matter with a discussion of the Halo EU with some talk of the games when needed?

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I find the ancient human empire interesting and just found this today. So I am happy. :)

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have two complaints about the gameplay. Lack of choice. Older games had mission trees, why these games could not do the same is beyond me. Also, at times I wondered if I was going in the right direction. The little circle was no help.

I have no indulged in awhile but I did like the lore of the game. AI and rampancy was a favorite. And it was cool to have a megastructure to play around on. The views and technology were well done. My favorite way of playing was camo-field and energy sword; a hi tech ninja.

There is just about enough material in our asteroid belt to equal the mass of a Halo structure. I am not sure thos ematerials are strong enough to simply build and take the stress without gathering it all in one spot and using a bubbleworld technique which only exists on paper.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    VadersLaMent So you like AIs and rampancy... What do you think about the theories that Mindicant Bias is going to be John's new AI?

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Cool, it's nice to see a Halo thread.

I liked Noble Team. I thought they all had pretty clear personalities.

Oh, and they inspired A Fistful of Arrows, which is my favorite fanon story in anything ever.

Ghosts of Onyx was the best book IMO. Kurt was a million different kinds of awesome.

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The_Forgotten_Jedi I liked the Nobles and even mourned their deaths (except for Kat, she drove me off a mountain one to many times). It is that I think that they were not written well, which made them bland.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I also liked some of the Nobles, particularly Jorge and, obviously, Emile. The others were...eh. Had Reach's campaign been a bit longer, and we had been paired up with the whole team on more missions, hearing their chatter and letting some characterization shine through, then it would've made for a more satisfying story. Unfortunately, Bungie was never very good at characterization throughout their Halo games.

Halo 4 may be a mixed bag, but it speaks volumes that John had more lines of dialogue throughout that one game than in all previous installments put together, and with a personality more in line with Nylund's version of the character. And it was certainly satisfying that at the very end, John himself questions that very personality and wonders if he could be more than a man-shaped killing machine.

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Was it just me or was Carter in Fall of Reach too?