main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass We missed a BIG local convention!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Wildstar02301, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Hey guys

My brother told me today that that the 501st NEG had a presence at a big local sci-fi/fantasy convention. Checking the NEG's site, I figured out it was Arisia, which was held the weekend of Jan. 18-20 @ the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge.

You guys think we should have a presence there next year? Checking the events schedule of the convention just passed, there were plenty of Star Wars-related events, including a "Sith Charity Ball" on the opening Friday night, so if we want to find our fellow Star Wars fans, this would definitely be one of the places to look. :D

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Unless they actually had a SW guest of interest, I'm not sure. Just from looking at the list of vendors, it looks like it's more geared towards Midieval and fantasy than mainstream sci-fi.

That's just my 2¢ though. If enough people thought it would be a worth-while outing, I'm sure we could at the least pencil it in for next year and then play it by ear as the date gets closer.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm sure we can get FanForce help in finding a Star Wars celebrity to do a panel, which we would sponsor. It may be one of the minor actors (the guy who played Biggs in ANH comes to mind), but it will be something. And who's to say we *need* a Star Wars celebrity in attendance to do this? The 501st certainly didn't. ;)

EDIT: I also remembered that I wanted to say that there's quite a bit of crossover between Star Wars fans and the medieval/Renaissance/fantasy crowd that makes Arisia good for a group like us, as Star Wars does borrow quite a bit from the fantasy realm. In Red Squadron, the X-Wing online group I belong to, one of our members also enjoys Renaissance fairs, just to give an example of what I'm talking about.

4. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I think it's a great idea! I'm thinking we should keep in mind what is our objective. Yeah we are a Star Wars related board, but, to me, it's a reason to get together with friends. In DC there was a Sci Fi convention that occurred in Baltimore every year. Most of the folks would go just to hang out.

Heck, there's a gamer's convention happening in the near future nearby (Digital Overload, March 7-9, 2008). Even though it's not specifically a SW or SciFi related event, if we have some gamers in our group (and I know we do!) them being there with our t-shirt on and some pics from the event would be really cool!

Oh, and my favorite online comic, Ctrl+Alt+Del has a preview of the latest SW game: The Force Unleashed. You play Vader's apprentice! Looks wicked, man!

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    An email inquiry I sent to the NEG's commanding officer via their web site seemed to kind of confirm what Wormie said...the CO told me Arisia is more geared toward literary sci-fi and fantasy, and the NEG's involvement this year was a one-time-only thing. Looks like we'll stay w/ SMF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.