main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm sorry, but both are equally lame. :p

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Welp, I just spent £1300 to pretty much get the entire core Modern Era Batman run. That's my reading material for the next year.

re: Aquaman. He was pretty badass in Injustice: Gods Among Us and it's associated comic.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the fact that Namor has an anti-hero/frenemy element to him helps the perception of the character considerably. That, and he looks like like a pissed-off Vulcan most of the time gives him a visual edge over most AM depictions.

(the speedos hold him back a bit, true, but they at least make some sense for someone who is swimming much of the time)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    *looks up the conversion rate in dollars*

[​IMG]

Define core.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The greatest Aquaman moment ever is in that DC fighting game . . . I forget the name. But his special power is to summon a shark from out of ****** nowhere to just devour his opponent. Bad. Ass.

Jedi Merkurian and 07jonesj like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Injustice Gods Among Us

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
  9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Basically every issue listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Batman_comics#Modern_Batman

But also some that are now considered Elseworlds like Year Two/Three. Once I've read all these, I'll move onto the New 52 and likely branch out and buy more of the material.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It only makes sense since it ties into the games, save for "Origins". Besides, the timing works out since Conroy did the 75th anniversary feature and then the film.

That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if you were going with spin offs as well.

Edit:

That's why I stick with back issues at a cheap price, along with what I have originally.

07jonesj likes this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

[​IMG]

It makes sense because he is the night. He is darkness. He is BATMAN!

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

FIXED THAT FOR YA, CHUM!

Penguinator likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Who is Aquaman's Arch-Nemesis? Black Manta or Ocean Master?

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Manta, as far as I know.

Volderon likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Black Manta killed Aquaman's son. Ocean Master can't even settle on an origin.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Now, see, if he could summon sea creatures and landsharks to materialize out of thin air at any time, people would take him much more seriously.

Although there'd be so many dead seahorses...

FOR AQUAMAN!!!

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh yes please. Sadly though, no Hammill Joker. :-(

Speaking of the Arkhamverse Batman, I played the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC for City the other day. Seriously, why does this Batman have a partner if he's going to be such a ***** to him. I wouldn't have blamed that Tim to have said "Why **** you too, Bruce" for all the thanks he gave him after saving him from Harleys trap. What a ****. Seriously, that Batman should follow Alfred's advice and lighten the hell up for a bit.

18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I know he wasn't talking literal plot points, but knowing how WB works....I hope with all that is good and decent in the world that Kryptonite doesn't get accidentally delivered to Wayne Manor. It would have been a bad way to introduce Batman for the third movie, and it would be an even worse way to open the second movie.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They're trying to use the Batman who is a jerk towards people.

Well, a well thought out version would be Bruce Wayne entering the Wayne Tech/Applied Sciences division and being presented with a significant size chunk of Green Kryptonite. Something that had arrived as a meteorite not that long ago.

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, a well thought out version would be Bruce Wayne entering the Wayne Tech/Applied Sciences division and being presented with a significant size chunk of Green Kryptonite. Something that had arrived as a meteorite not that long ago.

I don't know...Honestly, I'm torn here for the following reasons:

1)This is a Superman sequel, not a Batman one. Technically, the development focus is going to be on Supes. What are the odds (plot-hole wise) that Bruce Wayne would randomly be delivered a piece of meteorite Krypnonite, and then when he has to go fight as Batman, he realizes "AH-HA, the metorite that was just delivered is Superman's greatest weakness! What luck!" It would be lame, if at least forced.

The only way it would work is if they combined Tower of Babel with Dark Knight Returns and had Batman deduce Supes' weakness, and as a result, Batman gives Supes a beat down via a nuclear powered Kryptonite battlesuit. Since Dark Night Returns and Kingdom come are supposed to be influences for the script, this is likely. The gossip is that the actor who played the general from MoS supposedly read a passage from Dark Knight when asked about this. This would seem to suggest that the government "hires" Batman to keep Superman in line (ie Supes' "I'll work with you, but you can't control me" line from MoS) but this wouldn't mesh with Batman's character at all. It would also potentially have Batman use an army of drones against Supes, which is another reference from the first movie. But within the 2 hout time frame of a movie and without the multi-comic story development, this would make Batman come off as the villain. At any rate, that's all just rumor.

2)And both Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman still have to fit within the movie along with Batman. Every indication is that WW is just going to have an extended cameo, so I don't expect much development for her. Is Lex just going to have a cameo as well? It would certainly be retro-chic from the Silver Age to 1)have Superman and Batman fight each other 2) realize that their battle was a misunderstanding 3) come to realize that Lex is the true bad guy and 4) then team up to fight him- joined by a new found sense of respect for each other.

But the bottom line is that I hope that they give Kryptonite a rest until the 3rd movie. It's been the "go to" for nearly every film, and as much as I didn't mind Spacey, his shrill "KKKRRRYYYPOOO-NNNIIITTEE!" still rings within my head. It would be refreshing to have someone like Lex or even Batman outthink Supes, without having to stumble upon/steal/comically manufacture the stuff as a plot device....(Tar?! You mean Kryptonite doesn't have tar!)

21. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah I would actually like Kryptonite to never exist in this universe. Like you said its been done before, it's so over used, and it shows a lack of creativity in the writing. I hope the writers and director use their brain and come up with something different, kind of like how the atmosphere of Krypton affects Superman in MOS. I thought that was a clever way of weakening him without a green rock.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If they're following enough of the comics lore, Wayne Enterprises and Lexcorp are two of the major companies with a science division outside of S.T.A.R. Labs and Cadmus that is a force to be reckoned with. If both companies are treated as in the comics, then it would be reasonable for it to come to them. As to determining that it can affect Superman, that would be something that would happen by happenstance. Clark Kent and Lois Lane come to Gotham to tour Wayne Enterprises and meet with the President and CEO of the company, Bruce Wayne. While on tour, Clark gets close enough to the Kryptonite and has a reaction to it, which Lois and Bruce would recognize as being significant. Story goes on from there.

Yet it continues to this day in comics and cartoons. "Public Enemies" from 2003-04 made good use of Superman and Batman going after Lex and the animated "World's Finest" had them both dealing with Lex and the Joker. Not to mention that we've had two of a hero's enemies teaming up against them since "Superman II", across both DC and Marvel films. Not all of them, but quite a few.

Well, in fairness to Tar, Gus was just improvising. He didn't know what it would do to the chemical reaction. That's what separates each piece of Kryptonite in the lore from each other. Though in the comics its the alteration in the radiation content that causes Green, Red, Blue and Gold Kryptonite.

As to outwitting Superman, unless there's an advantage, it won't be much of a fight.

[​IMG]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The atmosphere was effectively kryptonite though- it's just a gas instead of a rock. Now bad guys can keep a can of krypto-mace handy if supes shows up instead of a green ring or have a suit that leaks that atmosphere in it's vicinity, surround their lair with it, etc.

It's just putting a new name on the same thing and ends up being change for the sake of change without actually being change.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I also called this out pages ago, but w/e.

Origins was so, so disappointing.

Penguinator likes this.
  25. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    If they're following enough of the comics lore, Wayne Enterprises and Lexcorp are two of the major companies with a science division outside of S.T.A.R. Labs and Cadmus that is a force to be reckoned with. If both companies are treated as in the comics, then it would be reasonable for it to come to them. As to determining that it can affect Superman, that would be something that would happen by happenstance. Clark Kent and Lois Lane come to Gotham to tour Wayne Enterprises and meet with the President and CEO of the company, Bruce Wayne. While on tour, Clark gets close enough to the Kryptonite and has a reaction to it, which Lois and Bruce would recognize as being significant. Story goes on from there.

Yeah, I agree with the first part. It's just that the "happenstance" part makes for bad writing and/or sets up plot holes for the audience. Lets see...by chance, Wayne Ent. gets the kryptonite meteor. Despite it being an unknown/untested discovery, it's shown off just at the right moment for reporters to interact with. Superman/Kent, being the only person who would react to it, does, and Batman/Wayne notes this.(while at the same time automatically discovering Clark's identity.) Then for whatever reason, be it through the government or whatever, Batman and Superman fight, and Bats uses the one substance that he discovered by chance will harm Supes....

The problem is that typing that out seems so trite, but it seems exactly like what WB would decide to do.

Now, due to the reason you outlined above with the cartoon, Batman and Superman couldn't ever fight directly without some sort of plot device like Kryptonite. It's the reason Kryptonite exists as a MacGuffin. But what if Batman pulled a reverse Nick Fury-Captain America Winter Solider dynamic on Superman, but the DC comics way? What if Bruce Wayne used his influence and had the Daily Planet and Perry White alienate Superman? I'm thinking of Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne as a combination of charisma from Downey Jr's Tony Stark and Slade Wilson/Deathstroke from Arrow.

The Daily Planet would write op-eds about how Superman is a threat....how he is so secretive.....The Army General would say how he destroyed a drone to remain hidden... How no one really knows what his motives are..? Clark and Lois would be forced to act against Superman because of their jobs, all while knowing the truth. Superman (*and Batman at the conclusion, see below*) would then have to fight whatever the real threat is along with his own alienation and his own cynicism to protect a population that fears him. Superman would have to define what his own idealism is. Now, that's drama, and it would show that Batman's equalizer against Superman doesn't have to be Kryptonite, but his cunning. Superman could just haul off and break Batman's neck, but we saw the internal conflict of that with Zod, and using a method like this, Bats never physically attacked Supes, so killing him would be murder.

*Of course, the conclusion would have to be be that Superman shows everyone how wrong they are and whatnot. Batman is still more cunning, but now respects Superman...The general, Perry White, etc. would have to apologize. It could even bring Lois and Clark closer together ala the comics.

Well, in fairness to Tar, Gus was just improvising. He didn't know what it would do to the chemical reaction. That's what separates each piece of Kryptonite in the lore from each other. Though in the comics its the alteration in the radiation content that causes Green, Red, Blue and Gold Kryptonite.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Kryptonite becomes an almost magical all-controlling substance. Regular Kryptonite is the only thing that allows mortals to interact with Superman. Except when that's been used for the 12th dozen time, then it changes. If regular Kryptonite passes through cosmic radiation, it changes into red, with different effects. Oh, then there's gold, white, black, blue, silver, and I'm sure I've missed some...Need a Superman story, but can't come up with anything? Just throw a new form of Kryptonite in there, and it will do whatever you want. It was kind of the same way when it showed up in the movies. The first time Hackman used it, it was actually decent, and explained effectively. Gus's plot device was just stupid, especially since there was already a universal computer. Spacey's plot device was a rehash. For as bad as it was, at least Quest for Peace used Superman's DNA and the sun, instead of just relying on Kryptonite.