main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "We're still vital."

SithSense likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It might not be Affleck breaking the contract and more like "They had Affleck for 3 movies + 1 cameo" contract and they burned through it in 3 years because it's Batman and God knows if you want to jumper-cable start a DC Universe you get in as much Batman as possible.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I wouldn't blame Affleck for quitting. Dude seems to constantly be under the media's microscope. Almost as if everyone wants him to fall after his brief resurgence and the accolades he got a few years back with Argo and The Town. If your personal life's a mess atm and to top that off you're tied to one critically panned superhero movie after the other, that's gonna get to you. Inevitably you're going to say "**** this crap, I got better things to do".

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's more likely the case than being upset that he's not director. During the last two premieres for his films, he had people asking more questions about Batman than about the films that he was there to promote. And when said films didn't do that well, it was probably really grating on him. Add to that the problems with "The Flash" and "The Batman" and you've got the makings of a very tense situation.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I imagine this hysteria is nothing more, fueled by garbage blogs like io9 that dp4m treats like scripture.

Affleck wasn't a neophyte when he took the role, he was well aware of the ramifications, and even had the benefit of seeing how the careers of guys like RDJ and Bale had changed after taking on these massively popular roles.

He'll direct plenty more films, I'm sure. My supervisor's husband (I don't think he has an IMDB page, but probably has ample calf muscles) actually worked with him as a technical director on his most recent directed release, Live By Night, and said that he was absolutely fantastic to work with. He may tire of Comic-Con questions, but I doubt he's giving up a once-in-a-lifetime, multi-film opportunity - he enjoys what he does too much, and this role will likely benefit his future box offices. He also hates Daredevil. A couple of good showings as Batman means he's Batman, not Daredevil anymore.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but then there was also what he said after "Hollywoodland" where he talked about how not wanting to do another superhero film, especially after seeing what George Reeves went through and how he himself felt dressed as Superman. Along with how he reacted on the red carpet for "Live By Night", where he got real antsy when the subject of Batman was brought up again. That's why there is this slight case of hysteria.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I believe that Affleck had a vision for his Batman film and was really looking forward to producing, writing, directing and starring in it, and I don't think the media and internet bothered him as he withstood the storm of haters when he announced as being cast as Batman. I mean, after Gigli and the whole Bennifer thing, Affleck has grown a thick skin to all the media and internet chatter. I think he has fun with the sad Batman thing too. Additionally, he won fans over with his performance as the Dark Knight in Batman v. Superman. I think it was the in fighting ERRRRR creative differences with WB/DC that caused him to step down from the director's chair for the solo Batman flick, much like the directors for The Flash flick.

Anyway, it would not bother me if Affleck steps away from the role of Batman as the cinematic character has been comic book version of James Bond. It's been nearly 30 year of Batman movies with 5 different actors, so if they cast somebody else, I would be fine with that (like when Val Kilmer took over for Michael Keaton).

In other news, Mel Gibson has came up and a possible director for Suicide Squad 2. I would be interested in seeing that film. And the geek know as Lawrence Fishbourne has said Marvel movies are kicking DC's butt.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think you meant Known Anti-Semite and Misogynist, Mel Gibson...

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Not to mention domestic abuser.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I couldn't remember off the top of my head, just the "sugar ****" part -- so didn't want to be fake news! Sad! But yes, that too!

11. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    In short words, he wanted a lot of power to write his own Batman, not just play the role. But WB didn't want to give him that much.

I don't disagree with WB though. They are not just making a new Batman series, they are making a new Batman series as part of DCEU, it should be under one tone rather than giving the directors too much freedom.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I prefer the term "fearless anti-Jew warrior, Melvin Gibson."

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I saw he stepped aside earlier today when I was looking on YouTube scanning vids. It won't bother me one bit to see Bats recast. I'm not a fan of BvS one bit. I would have liked to get a Nolan film with Gordon as Nightwing(?) my DC knowledge isn't very extensive. I also don't know since I didn't click on vid if he quit then and there or is finishing up whatever project they are commited to right now to do a torch passing like Nolan did. I prob should have actually watched the vid before commenting on issue but oh well lol

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Get Tom Hardy to play Batman!

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Gibson is all those things mentioned above, but it would seem like Hollywood is forgiving him with Hacksaw Ridge receiving an Oscar nomination and his name surfacing as a possible director for Suicide Squad 2. And just speaking strictly as a director talent point of view of what Gibson would bring to Suicide Squad 2, I imagine it would be violent and gritty, which is the opposite of the final cut of the original Suicide Squad film, which was reportedly cut not by David Ayer (which was too dark) but by the company the made the "Ballroom Blitz" trailer to make it lighter and more fun.

I would think WB/DC would want Suicide Squad to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy.

When you said "Gordon" I initially thought you meant Commissioner Gordon rather than Joseph Gordon-Levitt. But yeah, John "Robin" Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) at the end of the Dark Knight Rises was a bit of fan service nod to the Nightwing character. However, John "Robin" Blake does not exist in this DCEU as it has no ties to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

The possibility does exist for the original Robin, Dick Grayson, to appear in this DCEU as the Robin that was killed by Joker and Harley Quinn was confirmed to be Jason Todd by Zack Snyder, IIRC. And there is source material for Dick Grayson to take over Batman's cowl and cape, but I would prefer that not happen. But who knows, they killed off Superman.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I also think Gibson would make a good film. I looked forward to the announcement that he is on board, and then the announcement that he is no longer on board.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Followed by the three or four pages of grade "A" passive aggressive posts about rebooting the universe, a few dozen totally original witty insults aimed at Zack Snyder, and a casting recommendation from slowpokeking.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I think Zack Snyder wouldn't be the worst choice for a horrible director they could hire for Suicide Squad 2, so long as they replace Cara Delevingne with Kate Beckinsale.

Got it in one...

Darkslayer and heels1785 like this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, things do follow a certain routine here...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Darkslayer and heels1785 like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'd rather see Kate Beckinsale in a more prominent role, like Catwoman. Besides, I think Cara Delevingne's, June Moon, does not have the power of Enchantress anymore. I doubt Ms. Moon would still be part of the Suicide Squad if she doesn't have any powers or special abilities.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    America's like, a week tops away from this being his official title.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, Affleck didn't say that. He said that he felt it would be better to concentrate on playing Batman due to the hard work involved. More so than filming "The Town", "Argo" and "Live By Night". If you've noticed, none of the other actors who play superheroes have stepped in to direct their respective sequels. He was going to be the first to do so, but decided to opt out. It had nothing to do with power, since the rumor mill was that he was going to be given a lot of freedom.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  25. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001