main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't know, Kingdom Come/Earth-22 Superman aged pretty good.

[​IMG]

And in the films, Clark has aged at the same rate (not faster or slower) as other humans; from a baby to an adult of 20 something.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He was in his sixties in the main storyline. By the time we see him later in that last panel, a thousand years had passed.

True, but we're only seeing him in the present day. Come back in a few centuries.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, in the main story line, Superman was in his 60s with gray hair, right?

[​IMG]

At any rate, I don't think Kara Zor El will be in the DCEU, unless they do some Fox/X-Men thing where they more than one version of Emma Frost or Warren Worthington.

I think the DCEU really needs to focus on creating a more universally liked Superman in the DCEU before adding Supergirl. That's why I'm really hoping that Mathew Vaughn take the helm for the Man of Steel sequel.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just remember in Red Son he lived to be millions or billions of years old. But of course AU stuff might not reflect reality.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Okay. Says that's the case with Kara Zor El, that she's still alive in the DCEU. I'm not sure how that would play out in the films. I mean, the name Supergirl definitely states that she's younger than Superman and perhaps more naive to being a superhero. And as such, I don't think we'll get a Supergirl film in this DCEU unless there's some Flashpoint or Crisis event.

Speaking of Flashpoint, there have been thoughts that a "Flashpoint" event may happen in the DCEU, which is why The Flash film is undergoing a page one rewrite. That would give DC/WB the opportunity to reboot the DCEU with a different tone and perhaps recast Batfleck.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't there a Superman issue where he's really really really old and decides to throw himself in a volcano?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. He was in his 50's when Lois was killed by the Joker and Magog turned around and killed the Joker.

[​IMG]

This was clarified in the "Kingdom Come Special: Superman" one shot and explained in greater detail in the novel by Elliot S! Maggin. This version of Clark had become editor of the Daily Planet a few years before the Joker's attack.

More like they'll ignore that bit of the comic and say that it was an ancestor to Kara, or a different character all together.

More liked by the audience or by the people of the DCEU?

Both "Kingdom Come" and "Red Son" are in continuity as of 2007, when DC revived its multiverse and added them as part of it.

[​IMG]

KC Superman debuted in Justice Society Of America #9. Starman/Thom Kallor revealed in issue ten that he had come from the future, but was diverted to Earth-22 before making it to Earth-0. When the nuclear bomb went off, Clark was pulled through a breach and wound up on Earth-0. At the end of #22, he returns to his world right when the bomb goes off.

[​IMG]

During "Countdown To Final Crisis", we learn that RS Superman exists on Earth-30. Kyle Rayner, Jason Todd and Donna Troy arrive there while trying to find Ray Palmer.

[​IMG]

In "Countdown Arena", Monarch has RS Superman battle TDKR Superman to see who was fit to serve in his army. They also battle Lor-Zod, aka Chris Kent from Earth-16. So they're in continuity and their extended lives are still part of the lore. As is the future of "DC 1 Million".

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's how I remember it and thus giving me the impression that Clark aged like a typical human.
    Yeah, why hold yourself to something Goyer, Snyder and Johns wrote that no one read or is even aware of?
    By the audience. At best, the Superman depicted in Man of Steel was controversially received by the movie going audience. Even Zack Snyder acknowledged the poor reception of his "Man of Steel" stating something to the effect of how he didn't realized how the audience clung to Donner's/Reeve's iteration of Superman.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but it also stated that he was immune to Kryptonite due to absorbing so much solar energy. As I said, he starts aging slowly the longer he's under a yellow sun. In twenty years, he has white hair.

[​IMG]

When he's shown after the Great Disaster in the 22nd century, he looks the same as he did during Bruce's funeral.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    He has great power. He is rich, after all.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    For a hot second, I thought that title said "Countdown Brenda" and I was so happy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Beast!

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Trailer for SyFy's Krypton TV series:

It actually looks pretty good, even though it feels like another YA (Young Adult) film like Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc. Definitely better special effects than Gotham.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It definitely looks like it follows the continuity, or at least the technological aspects of the DCEU Krypton.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yes, the continuity is strong in this one. Goyer probably made sure of that. It has the scifi feel to it like Man of Steel. I am curious to see how big of a role the Codex plays in the series.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    First I've heard of this. I really don't know if I can bump my D.C. Intake from five to six shows.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    More DC shows in the works...

TITANS Live-Action Series & YOUNG JUSTICE: OUTSIDERS Set To Debut On A New Digital Service From DC

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As long as Greg Weisman (& Brandon Vieti) are involved with "Young Justice: Outsiders", then I will definitely be watching (as long as the new DC app is free). I hope this is the start of ending the "curse" for Weisman shows only lasting two seasons. I really want a Gargoyles movie with him involved.

I don't feel like finding the individual threads for Supergirl, Flash, Legends, and Arrow, so I'll comment here.

Supergirl: I've been enjoying this season mostly. Mon-El is VERY under used when **** hits the fan and I don't understand why he is sidelined. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a challenge if he was there too. All fights would end too quickly.
    I didn't like the musical episode at all. At this time I have yet to watch the most recent episode aired on 4/24. I hope it's a good one.

Flash: Trying to figure out who Savitar is. I keep seeing articles with titles that say his identity is going to have repercussions in future of the show. At this point I'm not seeing it, and I'm also not understanding the overall arc. I thought that Flash learned not to mess with the past and all he is doing this season is messing with the future. Technically 2024 Flash messed with the past by giving 2017 Flash that "flash drive" of information on how to trap Savitar in the speed force. So even though 2024 Flash didn't travel to the past, he may still change it which is what we want as an audience, but he isn't learning. He's making the same mistakes and that is frustrating.

Legends was great this year and I hope it gets renewed AND they keep it at 16 episodes. It's the perfect number and I wouldn't mind less to trim the ones that feel like filler. I think all shows should adapt what Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc do with mostly tight 10-12 episodes.

Arrow remains the hardest to love/get into. I'll be watching the newest episode later today and if anyone wants to discuss here on the wonderful JCC then we shall.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No problem. Absolutely acceptable. You gonna be the one to tell Batman he isn't worthy?

Sith_Sensei__Prime and PCCViking like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Anyone know who did the music for WW?

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw Batman V Superman yesterday, it wasn't completely terrible, but they are obviously trying way too hard to create something that rivals the MCU too quickly. The Arrowverse is doing the DC universe right, not trying to do too much too quickly, only teasing the Justice League. The Arrowverse is doing about as much as they can without two of the big three, Batman and Wonder Woman, and without Superman even being the star of his own show. I don't think an adaption of the Death of Superman, with Doomsday as a villain right out of the gate, was the best idea as the catalyst for a cinematic universe.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Did you watch the Ultimate Cut or the Theatrical cut? That makes a big difference for a lot of people.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    According to IMDb, it's Rupert Gregson-Williams, known for Hacksaw Ridge, The Crown, The Legend of Tarzan...

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know, it was DVR'd a few weeks ago from HBO, with a runtime of like 2:30, so it was probably just the theatrical cut. I wasn't particularly impressed with Man of Steel in the first place, so I was already predisposed to not be impressed with Batman V Superman. I will probably watch Suicide Squad soon as well.