main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I looked it up and HBO is featuring the theatrical cut.

And yeah, I agree that DCEU tried to catch up to the MCU with the one film, Batman v. Superman. In some ways it did with the introduction of various characters and element. I feel that the DCEU can right the ship and Wonder Woman could be the movie that will do it.

Really, the DCEU only needs one critical and box office hit and everything will look much better for future films.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    HBO does show Director's, Unrated and Extended Cuts, but it depends. "Ride Along 2" and "The Boss" have extended cuts alongside the theatrical cuts, but "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" was only the theatrical cut. I think in the former, they were only shown On Demand.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I think my problem is, the whole thing felt a bit forced, especially the subtle warning from future Barry or whatever that was supposed to be. The Arrowverse is just doing a darn good job at letting the universe breath, and isn't nearly as dark and brooding as the DCEU, with Arrow being about as dark and brooding as it gets, which would be a good benchmark for Batman. Also, I don't like the dark color scheme for Superman, especially in comparison to Supergirl.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i've been drinking a lot of dr pepper myself.

but i havent seen that gold can. that's pretty cool

B99 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, the gold can is definitely the cream of the crop there!

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I remember seeing this one's ad saying "It's Not for Women."

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw Suicide Squad, and as with Batman V Superman, it wasn't completely terrible, but it also continues to be blatantly obvious they are trying way too hard to create something to rival the MCU. The MCU wasn't built overnight, they had a long term goal that they have been building toward and have stuck with it. The DCEU refuses to be patient and establish their characters and universe, instead they are just throwing them out there in an adaption of a big storyline, such as the Death of Superman for Batman V Superman. Deadshot, the Joker, Harley Quinn, and El Diablo were actually pretty interesting, but all of these characters were just thrown out there and just expected to be successful without any world building.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Marvel had to build their universe because they were using B and C-tier characters.

There is little-to-no world building needed for Batman and Superman.

laurethiel1138, B99 and PCCViking like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Batman and Superman didn't need world building. However, this "shared" universe is something new for DC films. Aside from George Clooney's Batman reference as to why "Superman works alone," there wasn't any real confirmation that Batman and Superman existed in the same cinematic universe. DC had to do some world building for their lower tier characters, such as, Deadshot, Diablo and Boomerang. They're to need to do the same with Mera, Cyborg and whatever characters they want to throw into the DCEU.

Despite the DCEU films not be critically well received, there are building blocks that can be used for future films. I stated this before, Batman v. Superman is such a dense film that gives alot of fan service with introductions to various characters, timelines and other worlds.

I'm looking forward to see the Themyscira and Atlantis and maybe a peak at Apokolips in the Justice League film.

I'm sure there will be tons of DCEU announcements during this year's San Diego ComicCon, like announcements for Green Lantern, Joss Whedon and Batgirl, sequel to Wonder Woman, Matt Reeve's Batman, sequel to Man of Steel, etc.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The others do, though. So, the problem is they didn't limit it to just Batman and Superman.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    They've only released films about Batman and Superman. Suicide Squad, from the look of it, will not factor into the larger JL storyline. Wonder Woman had a few scenes in BvS, and is getting a whole movie to build her background.

Give it some time. That was certainly afforded to Marvel, when characters like Hawkeye showed up without any depth in Thor.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, they threw a lot of other characters in besides Batman and Superman in Batman V Superman. If they would have just limited it to Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman (due to how they are handling her with her own film), and a bit of a tease for the others, it would have worked a lot better. The future Flash literally showed up out of nowhere in that convoluted warning to Batman, which I wouldn't have even recognized what was going on if it wasn't for the Arrowverse.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I would say that the collective 30 seconds that Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman spent on screen qualifies as a "tease." Certainly not a "problem."

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't think the amount of characters appearing is the issue, but rather the story telling.

That "Injustice Flash dream" sequence right now feels out of place, but IIRC, Snyder said that would payoff a later film. Don't know if it ever will with the Flash movie currently without a director and a page 1 rewrite and no real confirmation of Justice League 2.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

In "Batman Forever", Bruce says that Haley Circus must be halfway to Metropolis, when trying to prevent Dick from leaving. But it was probably less to do with the Christopher Reeve films and more along the lines of "Superman Lives!", which was in development.

You don't need whole films for each member of the Squad. The film conveyed Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, Diablo and Harley Quinn well enough. As I pointed out before, you can get a whole film out of the Joker and Harley Quinn, but not for Deadshot, who only really started to shine as a character once he joined Task Force X. The Joker is well established as a character that an entire film dedicated to showing Harley's descent into madness and then her subsequent capture isn't required.

True, but it did help build upon about the Metahuman community that was growing and the notion of what would it take to protect the Earth from another Superman level threat.

Yep. Or when Tony Stark is watching footage from "The Incredible Hulk" and "Thor", as well as his first two films which is no different from Diana looking at Lex's files.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly. Thank you, sin.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, there didn't to be solo films for the members of the Suicide Squad like there didn't need be solo films for the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. My point is that the DCEU needed to plant the seeds for the lower tier characters and use them as building blocks for their cinematic universe, which I also stated in the same post that was left out of my quote above.

The thing about Tony Stark seeing the footage of Hulk and Thor is that it felt more organic than Diana watching the footage stolen by Bruce Wayne. I mean, even the way Diana read the email that accompanied the footage was bizarre; like she was reading some kind of instance messaging text.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    All four main Avengers had at least one film each, the main villain was previously introduced, the other two Avengers had appeared previously, and then there was Nick Fury who wove it all together. The Avengers felt like the natural conclusion to all of that. I hope the DCEU turns out to be good, but it's been slipshod in comparison so far.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, because computer tech is always portrayed realistically in films and television. :p

She got the e-mail and a pop-up message opened up after she opened the link with her photo.

Right and we'll have two films that established Superman, two films with Batman and two films with Wonder Woman. Then we have three films that establish the existence of the Flash, with the third one revealing his backstory as we've seen in the trailer. Cyborg as a Cyborg has been established and we'll learn the full story of how he got that way in JL. The
    rumor mill says that we'll see a young Arthur Curry in WW and according to the trailer, Bruce talks about the stories regarding his legend when he seeks him out and Mera is supposed to appear.

So far it seems to be doing okay. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    From this video, Diana was scrolling down the email as directly under the photo it says "it IS you." And looking at the scroll bar on the right of the screen it's only like a quarter down the page of the email.

The footage of the Hulk and Thor were more like Easter Eggs of previously seen footage that didn't disrupt the film, whereas the "stolen metahuman files" put the pending battle between Batman and Superman on hold to bring the audience's attention to these "cool" footage and teases future characters.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Oh, come on!. Face it, the footage in "Iron Man 2" was building off of the cameo by Stark in "The Incredible Hulk", where he told Ross that a team was forming to deal with threats like the Hulk, as well as Coulson being assigned to keep tabs on Stark and then suddenly leaving for New Mexico because of an 0-8-4 being found. Hell, the film was criticized as being a set up for "Thor" and "The Avengers". That if those scenes with Nick Fury weren't in the film, it wouldn't be so bogged down in crap.

Both film series are guilty of that.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, you're saying it was a email that Diana was looking at? :p

Anyway, I thought we were talking about this scene in The Avengers; not Iron Man 2. However, IIRC, any footage to other MCU characters like the Hulk were "Easter eggs-like" in that is was not the focus of the scene nor go full screen. The MCU was subtle teasing things during the course of the film, but subtlety is just not Zack Snyder.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, it's fairly crap. And hugely disappointing. But make your excuses. I did the same with the PT.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's OK for Sinister to have an opinion Diggy.