main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You mean, "movie and movie SEQUEL take long time get made."

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No stupid questions like "what catering will they have?" or "who will edit the trailer?"

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What's the Special Edition?

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it's too early to say for sure what there roles will be.

Regardless though, my best wishes go out to them and their family.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the version that was remastered and released in 2000/2001 for the DVD release (and briefly screened in limited theaters) that added in some extra scenes, most notably the weapons gauntlet leading up to Luthor's lair.

It was also included in the Ultimate set that came out with Superman Returns which debuted the Donner Cut of Superman II.

Diggy likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yeah, it contains a small-subsection of the 188 minute cut that they're releasing here. I think it's... one extra scene on Krypton, a slightly longer following Otis scene, and the weapons gauntlet... it may or may not contain the almost feeding Miss Tessbacher to whatever.

But the full 188 minute release will contain everything in the Special Edition.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, yeah, it added that one Krypton scene that was part of the bounty hunter or whatever being sent after Jor'El subplot, though they didn't include the whole subplot.

EDIT- trailer from the SE's release:

Amusing how they couldn't say "never before seen" footage since it had aired on TV, thus the "on the big screen" disclaimer.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The problem is that most of the stuff that was in the ABC broadcast that wasn't included in the Director's Cut, was just B-roll footage and not intended to be used. The death of the Executioner and Superman missing the rocket weren't included due to pacing issues with the former and how bad looking the effects was on the other.

The Miss Tessmacher being fed to the babies and the lead up to that was in the ABC broadcasts. And yes, I said broadcasts because it was shown again as a one night event with an earlier start time. For a full list of what was in the ABC broadcast versions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/alternateversions?ref_=tttrv_ql_5

This extended cut was only used by the Salkinds to gain more money and was a deal that had been worked out without Donner's involvement. The Director's Cut that was released was done with his involvement and blessing.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Superman: The Movie is my all time favorite comic book film, and I'll be looking to purchase this three hour cut of the film as I never bought the 2000 version. Plus this will probably be available on Blu Ray.

And speaking of Donner's Superman: The Movie, yesterday Collider poster their interview with Matthew Vaughn ask him about him directing a Superman movie.

Like Patty Jenkins, Matthew Vaughn wants to use Donner's Superman as a template for his film, which is music to my ears. And unlike Bryan Singer's Superman, Vaughn will use bright colors and make him not emo. I've said this many times before and I'll say many times in the future, I really hope that Vaughn directs a Superman flick.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Justice League Part 2

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought that Superman Returns wasn't anywhere close to emo. He was suffering a crisis of sorts, after being gone for so long and if the world needed him -- but it was still a totally optimistic movie, and he was still all about trying to do good and save everyone.

Martoto77 likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like Superman Returns, moreso than Man of Steel and I actually did want to see a sequel to the film, which would have included Doomsday. However, I did view his suffering from the crisis you mentioned and Lois is now with a kid and has moved on did make for reasonable cause for Superman to be emo. And emo is not a bad thing, but probably not a good match for Superman.

If Matty V directs the sequel to Man of Steel, I hope he uses John Williams' theme to score the film.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Superman has had a history of brooding about his status of being the last son of Krypton and lamenting the fact that he is...

[​IMG]

So when "Superman Returns" came out, it fell in line with the lore but seemed foreign to some people. Most people base their opinion on Superman from the 1978 film, where he doesn't brood about being the last survivor of a doomed race. The one scene that would put an emphasis on it was cut from the film and was largely unseen until the 2000 DVD. "Superman II" did address the feelings of isolation, but because the Lester version wasn't as memorable and lacked the impact that Donner's scenes had, most people overlook it. In "Superman Returns", the film played it up by revealing his reaction to seeing Krypton was gone and finally confirming that he is the last of his kind. And then coming back to find that the world had moved on without him, and the struggle with that, ultimately discovering that he has a son and he still has Lois's love, which allows the film to end on a positive note.

The other major issue, of course, being the lack of punching.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    dp4m, that version is the one we had on TV in Australia in the early 80s, so I had a VHS recording of it. The weapons gauntlet, the extended shots in space and Krypton, Ms Tessmacher being fed to the Babies... all there.

So, yes, I will buy this thank you very much sir.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yeah, it was a two-night special event on ABC here first I believe, but fundamentally the same -- on television and then once more on television I think one year later (in one night) and then never again.

SO excited...

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I actually really wish I'd picked up the 10cm/3.75" Chris Reeve figure when i had the chance. It's stupidly expensive now.

[​IMG]

20. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I will be interested to see the super - extended - mega version of S:TM. To be honest though, the extra footage that has already been presented as deleted scenes had pacing problems on their own, never mind as part of the movie. The Donner extended addition has the Fire.Bullets.Ice scene which is thematically and dramatically fine. You could argue that, on paper, its essential characterisation for Luthor and for Kal-El. But there's no getting around the fact that it drags out a scene that is absolutely thrilling in its theatrical form and does not leave the audience wanting what it doesn't get.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Crossposted, but still amazing...

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The two night version aired in 1982. It was then rebroadcast as one whole night in 1984. It would air one more time in 1994, in Los Angeles as an extra length presentation and was the first time that the second Fortress scene was ever shown. Most of the time, it was the theatrical version that was shown. But in September of 1997, I did see an edited version on my local FOX affiliate. This version added a number of cut scenes, but excised others. I came into it right when Clark went out to the barn to retrieve the Father crystal and saw the extended scene with Martha calling Clark to breakfast.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The two night version aired in 1982. It was then rebroadcast as one whole night in 1984. It would air one more time in 1994, in Los Angeles as an extra length presentation and was the first time that the second Fortress scene was ever shown. Most of the time, it was the theatrical version that was shown. But in September of 1997, I did see an edited version on my local FOX affiliate. This version added a number of cut scenes, but excised others. I came into it right when Clark went out to the barn to retrieve the Father crystal and saw the extended scene with Martha calling Clark to breakfast.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Wonder Woman will officially be a part of FLASHPOINT!

[​IMG]

Well, like Tony Stark/Iron Man, Wonder Woman is the most successful DCEU character at the box office.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    This is the first confirmation that "Flashpoint" will be similar to the comics, so it is no surprise that Wonder Woman is in it since that's where they're going with this.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.