main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... or just make Jeffrey Dean Morgan the new Batman?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, if they wanted to portray the character as being younger, they can just have him appear younger. I just wager they'll recast when Affleck is finally done. Whether that actor will do any other JL films afterwards or not, said actor would probably be slightly younger. Gyllenhaal just turned 37 last month and Affleck is 45. If he does both film series, then he'd be the younger version of the character. Affleck was only 42 or so, when he was cast.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I see, you're just imagining a slightly younger actor to play Batman as oppose to having a late twenty-something year actor play Batman. I was thinking that if they do a "Flashpoint" film, that the new Batman would be around 28-30 something year old to allow for the solo films to be in his prime and take on his rogues gallery. Anyway, if they recast Batman, they should at least redesign the Joker. I did not dig the tatted over Joker.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ...rather than actually suggesting an actor older than Affleck play Bruce Wayne, I suspect deeps was making a Flashpoint/Thomas Wayne reference.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, that would be ideal, but the rumor mill is that Reeves is interested in Gyllenhaal who is not twenty eight.

SSP and I were talking about after the timeline is restored which would allow for a younger actor to play Bruce Wayne going forward and not just having Morgan replace Affleck all together. Of course, the film could just easily leave Affleck alone and the end and have the new actor be introduced in the solo film.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    But, I would love to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Thomas Wayne Batman and hopefully see Lauren Cohan as the demented Martha Wayne.

IIRC, Snyder approached Morgan about playing Batman down the line.

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Considering the news/rumors that a Nightwing movie was in development, another avenue would be for Nightwing to take over from Affleck's Batman in the physical aspects of the vigilante role, with Batman having more of a coordinating function as the great detective and as the head of R&D, in a mentor capacity. There could also be a hierarchy of menace, with Batman only intervening when the circumstances warrant it, lending his experience in a targeted manner. Waiting in the wings to make his grand entrance, so to speak...

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That would still happen, but I'm talking about after Barry restores the timeline.

I doubt that. You might as well go full on "Batman Beyond".

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The second episode of Black Lighting was pretty brutal in certain ways; brutal in the sense of a mafia type of drama. I think that's why I like "Black Lightning" more than most of the current DCTV CW shows, as it's building up the villains and its world. Like I posted previously, this series has "The Dark Knight Return" feels to it.

The last episode of The Flash was very campy with Ralph taking the lead and the villains being the Trickster and his mom; nearly Batman & Robin levels of campiness.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the first one of Black Lightning and enjoyed it, bar his costume.

Am I right in thinking it's actually completely separate from the other four shows (for now at least)?

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Black Lighting is in his own universe, for now.

I don't like his newer costume either. The older version of his costume looks much better. The new one makes him look like RoboCop.

Diggy likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The show was originally supposed to be on Fox, which meant that it would have had to been separate from the other shows. But Fox decided to pass and CW picked up, but opted to keep the show separate for now. They could make it part of the same universe, either setting it on Earth-1, Earth-38 or another Earth. It's up to the network.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ‘Watchmen’: Nicole Kassell To Direct HBO Pilot From Damon Lindelof
    Looks like a good match. Now I want to know what type of Watchmen series they'll be producing. I'm doubting it will be a remake of the Zack Snyder's film since it was a fairly okay adaptation of the graphic novel.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I don't know much about her, but I'm happy to see a woman at the helm, at least for the all-important pilot. I hope the results are as convincing as Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Gotham team is now developing Metropolis for the DC streaming service:

The team behind “Gotham” on FOX are now readying a similar city-centric prequel approach with the new series “Metropolis”.

Set in the wondrous and awe-inspiring City of Tomorrow before the arrival of Superman, Metropolis follows Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark secrets.

Production on the Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment series will begin later this year with the thirteen-episode first season to debut in 2019 on the new DC digital service due to launch later this year.

John Stephens and Danny Cannon are executive producing and Cannon will direct the first episode, from a teleplay by Stephens, with story by the pair.
    I wonder if, like Gotham, this will straddle the line (at least initially) between classic/Reeves Superman tones and DCEU tones...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's sounds terrible. But then I thought Gotham did too, and I like it a lot, so.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As I understand it, the show is supposed to be more faithful than the film.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't know if Lois Lane and Lex Luthor can hold the interests of Superman fans the way Jim Gordon and the Penquin does with Batman fans. Moreover, Gotham is blessed with having at its disposal the best rogues gallery in all of superheroes. Superman's rogues gallery, aside from Lex, are pretty much one dimensional characters without much charisma. I mean, Supergirl, has been doing an okay job adapting Superman's rogues but they've been pretty forgettable.

At any rate, Metropolis, doesn't sound like a show that would make me want to get a paid subscription with the DC streaming service. Titans on the other hand, I'm considering.

If that's the case, it's just another kick on Zack Snyder when he's down. I feel sorry the for guy.
    However, as a fan, I would like to see a better adaptation of Watchmen. I think Tarantino would be perfect to do a Watchmen flick as it's more character and dialogue driven.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The thing with "Metropolis" is that this is what happens when A) the character rights are all over the place and B) you have multiple Superman shows already done, that you have to try and come up with something different for the sake of different. Hence "Smallville", "Krypton" and now "Metropolis".

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The stated premise is incompatible with Smallville but you might be able to roughly merge Krypton, Metropolis and Lois & Clark into a vague viewing order ;).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was thinking this morning: "Hey, remember when people were indiscriminately saying Gal Gadot would make the worst Wonder Woman and DC will fail miserably!"

Haha! Good times!

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So no teaser for Aquaman during the Super Bowl. I was hoping to get the footage they released at last year's SDCC since they've already wrapped, but knowing the film won't drop until November, I'm not all that disappointed.

The third episode of Black Lightning continues to advance the show and is moving forward than the rest of the DCTV shows. I like the modified lightning bolt gun to Black Lightning's suit tech. At some point, Black Lightning is going to have to battle someone near or greater than his abilities. Black Lightning is so much better than Luke Cage, even though it's a network TV show.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You think? I haven’t caught it yet, but I loved Cage.

Happy to hear you’re enjoying it, SSP.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    She's no Kate Beckinsale. @Slowpokeking

dp4m likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, as posted earlier, Black Lightning starts out with that The Dark Knight Returns feels to it and as a result, his city becomes a haven for gangs and organized crime, which is reminds me of Kingpin in the first season of Daredevil. It's also a very grounded story with social commentaries in that the pilot episode covers nowaday headlines. However, as such, the dark tones and shades of reality turned off one of my friends off from the show. There's a dinner scene in the second episode that is humorously notable, so it does have its moments of levity. I still don't like the costume though.

heels1785 likes this.