main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Separate, but no less stupid -- the internet magazine equivalent of Slowpoekking:

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bilbo Fett like this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That....... looks different than what I expected.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ahahahaha. "**** Batman" is the new "What are you dense? Are you retarded?"

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    this awful cgi is so ****ing tiring. just want something non-animated under the dc label to not look like ****

why does beast boy look like lou ferrigno's hulk

6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    A-frickin-men.

I haven't been expecting anything good from this ever since those gawd awful set photos that leaked out a while back in spite of really digging the officially release images. And while I wouldn't call what that trailer is pushing exactly good, it's certainly not what I was thinking it would be.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm willing to give it a chance. It has an episode or two to prove itself, but on basic principle I really don't like the idea of an ultraviolent Dick Grayson who supposedly kills back alley criminals. I flat out don't care bout the "**** Batman" line. Even though it's clearly an attempt to establish edge early on, I could reasonably see that being something Dick during his 'disgruntled with Batman' phase would say. But killing? I have a hard time believing Bruce would just permit him to do that. Unless it's Batfleck, of course.

That and the whole tone is just, not Teen Titans? I don't know. I'm hoping for a Daredevil or Jessica Jones season 1 level of quality, but I'm afraid it'll be more like Iron Fist.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, because Superman couldn't just take him to a hospital that had excellent healthcare. It's not like he cannot fly at mach three and get him to London or Paris.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are you clutching at straws or burying your head in the sand? It’s hard to tell.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That trailer is ok. I'm not sold on it but it looks better than most of the CW stuff (whether the final product actually is, is another question, of course). I'm fine with Grayson. Starfire looks better than I thought but it's all scenes here with her in FX so I'm more curious to see how she comes across when she's not all CG'd up. Beast Boy was probably destined to look awful no matter what so I won't get hung up on him.

But Raven will be what makes or breaks the show for me- I'm not sold here but if the story handles her well, I can forgive some of the other things.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For those interested, the DC Universe 10-year Blu-Ray set is $100 at Amazon today as the Deal of the Day:

Looks like all of the animated movies.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    30 films, most of which are good to great. A few stinkers, but for blu-rays, that's a great deal. Thanks for the heads up.

dp4m likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's called common sense.

To me, it isn't a good idea to say they're only orange and green when using their powers. Either take the time to put makeup on them, or don't even bother. At least Brainiac 5 was actually painted green for his appearances in season three of "Supergirl" and used an image inducer for his other scenes.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m sorry to bring bad news, but Jon Schnepp has passed away.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Terrible news. Discussing it in the At The Movies thread.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    . You think common sense is Superman pushing someone through a wall at high speed does not risk death. You do not have the authority to comment on common sense.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That Titans thing looks . . . I mean, it . . . well, it's got . . . I feel . . .

[face_sigh]

Look, I'm open to a gritty street-level look at Robin; I'm open to exploring things in context of the horror genre. But this is just more evidence that, Wonder Woman notwithstanding, the lessons of BvS have simply not been learned. Snyder's visual aesthetic is all over that trailer as is the portentous self-seriousness and pervasive emotional gloom of the worst of the DC movies. There's got to be a way to make things dark, somewhat grim even, without letting them just become ponderous and wearying. I like dark. I like gritty. I like bleak. I don't like those things when they're carried to levels of self-parody. And, yes, "**** Batman," is the new "Are you retarded?" like Diggy said. It's literally self-parody; you can't make fun of it, because it's already saying what you would have characters in a spoof say. "**** Batman," is like something you'd hear on SNL in a parody of BvS.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    It looks terrible - but this is Berlanti, not so much Snyder or any influence from the films - it looks like some of the nonsensical dark stuff from Arrow in the first season, which at times was really bad.

My first thought was that it most resembled the utter **** Punisher effort on Netflix, more than anything, in terms of tone and gratuitous violence for the sake of being edgy. Hopefully just a bad trailer.

DC needs to look at their own Krypton, or FOX's The Gifted, and why they're working so well. Make shows like that.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The first thing that came to mind was "I'm the ***-damned Batman." and call the show All-Star Titans ;).

20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    At least I wasn't the only one taken aback ...

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DCAU films announced for 2019:

Batman: Hush (**** yeah)
    Reign of the Supermen (part 2 of Fall 2018's The Death of Superman)
    Justice League vs. The Fatal Five
    Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

As happy as I am to see the adaptation of Hush, I'm equally happy that they're not releasing three Batman movies - so many characters and iconic arcs to explore. The first Wonder Woman animated film from 2009 was great, so I'm hopeful there.

22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I know I haven't kept up a lot with DC or anything but Teen Titans was a great show. I've seen some clips of TTG and although cringeworthy can be really funny.

I just watched this Titans trailer

Um...are they seriously still keeping the dark campaign for DC? Seriously?

Look it works for Batman. It doesn't for Superman...or this really. Wonder Woman film worked because it WASN'T this dark stuff.

Look Raven has it. I get it. But Dick Grayson Robin is a much more lighthearted character than this. Jason Todd or Damien Wayne is that brooding, killer, tough guy. Dick Grayson isn't.

Why DC? Y u keep doing dis????

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I didn't like the preview pics, but I like the trailer.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have no connection to the character so I can't comment on the adaptation aspect but that looks fun. Sort of a DC version of Kick-Ass, but with actual powers.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Thumbs up. That looks great.

Here's Aquaman:

Also looks great. Most importantly, the CGI doesn't look like a ****ing fourth grader's responsible for it. Black Manta on screen is gonna be awesome.

Good job at SDCC, DC. Except for the Titans ****.