main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST We Must Stop with the Mary Sue Putdowns

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Plan741, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Poe was a pretty bad character too.

Finn and Kylo were the most well realized though Finn's arc was done by the end of TFA.

2. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I've answer this already.
    That was the first time he actually completed a race, right?
    The droid control ship was HORRIBLE, but he at least got some help.
    And he works in a shop with droids.

Rey says she doesnt know how she did what she did after the Falcon escape.
    At first it though it was a figure of speech but then she says that she never piloted the thing.

The one power allowed was discussing the force, it was not discussing all her other skills.
    We know Rey can climb so that being shown later is ok. She messes with parts from ships, so fixing a few things in the Falcon is ok. But the skills continue on and on passed info given in the movie.

I didnt look for negatives, negatives appeared in the the movie.
    If i wanted to stop thinking i wouldn't go sit in some unknown seats close to a bunch of strangers and pay for it.
    If i pay for something i have to get something back.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I laugh when people compare Rey to Luke at the end of ROTJ. Yeah she really did best the equivalent of Vader didn't she?

You guys aren't seeing the whole picture of who she was even up against.

So keep them blinders on.

Green Gogol likes this.
  4. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    >trying to argue this not being a negative
    [​IMG]

Yeah what's wrong with a Villain being a complete joke and looking less skilled then the hero so soon in a trilogy about the growth of a main hero. It's not like it removes any tension felt between them and makes her progress less interesting as a result of her already winning.

You arguing with me or against me? because your really doing my job for me.

tfw When you have no idea what makes an interesting villain.

Not even close to what I was asking. I was saying they could have at least given us something about how she has been training all her years on Jakku in the ways of the force to make her sudden growth more plausible. Not the generic "you have potential in the force" phrase that just talks about potential, not how she knows so much of the force already when we are told she never believed in the Jedi being real since she was a kid.

tfw when the point completely goes over your head. You are seriously not reading my posts are you? I watched the entire film with no break and nothing makes her sudden growth any less implausible. Not you crappy retort that she has potential in the force, and sure as hell not any other argument made by others. So how about you actually try to give me some reasons why she makes sense to know as much as she does so soon instead of pretending that other people "just don't get it" because that act is not convincing anyone.

nalkwan likes this.
  5. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Rey is no Furiosa.

Rey would whoop Furiosa's butt without the force.

6. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The only thing that bothered me about her was the Jedi Mind Trick. To me that is at least a intermediary force skill, a novice should not be able to do that. The reason the fight doesn't bother me is because Kylo was in complete control up until the point where Rey starts to channel the force, and allowing the force to guide her, similar to Luke at the end of ANH. He let the Force guide him. At that point she is no longer Rey, but just an analog for the Force itself.

nalkwan likes this.
  7. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015

Mate watch the movie again and relax.

You'll enjoy it much more.

8. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

Yes, but you don't understand....

There are quite a few people on this site who are pissed because JJ didn't
    [​IMG]

9. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Poe is excusable because he is barely in the film. But, yes, he doesnt get any background.
    And i also agree that Finn then Ren come on top of more fleshed out characters.

10. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Finn has character while Rey is very flat.

I'd watch 2 hours of Finn over 2 hours of Rey, one would have character the other would be watching paint dry.

Of course I'm someone that didn't mind Jar Jar too much.

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

To each their own. But let's not go around stating preference as fact.

12. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    It's not just that she beats Kylo and learns the Jedi mind trick quickly. In fact, that's the least of it. Her backstory may explain why that's the case. She could've been trained for a decade and then dropped off by Luke (whoever) on Jakku when she was a teenager and she has false memories like Revan/Total Recall.

What makes her a Mary Sue is that she has a virtually flawless character. She's tough, independent, knows how to fix the Falcon better than Han. She doesn't seem to have any character flaw. Her biggest flaw seems to be that she needs to take a good run after seeing a Force vision. I guess she also seems afraid of Kylo when she fear he's about to kill her, so there's that.

Now consider Luke. He gets beaten up twice. He's whiny, impatient, he seems immature, he plays with toys, he has childish dreams of being a great warrior, he loses his cool, he's a total screw up during Yoda's training, etc.

No comparison.

lbr789 likes this.
  13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Whoa, what a waste of a thread.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Green Gogol likes this.
  14. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Lucas thinking with ANH "we need this demographic, how do we get white men interested in Star Wars?"
    You talk so much rubbish. What's wrong with wanting to get other demographics interested in Star Wars? You want it reserved for fat white nerds only or something? Star Wars is for everyone.
    Ahsoka and Rey are both great characters.

15. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    No blinders here. I just dislike the concept of going from "The Jedi are REAL?!" to holding your own (untrained) against ANYONE that was trained. If the answer is, "well... they'll fix it in the next movie..." that's simply bad film making... but it is JJ after all, kinda what he does.

nalkwan likes this.
  16. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Honestly there is no point in debating with that guy, all he does is go around to each thread and complain about the movie yet when his point is easily rebutted he ignores it and leaves the thread and then goes on to the next one to scream how bad the film is. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier that there are like 10 people who have a problem with this movie and they just keep constantly repeating themselves as if the millions of people who loved this movie are suddenly going to realize that it sucked. There's a reason why there's Oscar buzz about the movie, there's a reason why it's at 95% on RT and 9.0 or whatever on IMDB and so on and so forth. There's a reason why it's performing a lot better at the BO than the prequels and there's a reason why the vast vast majority of the people who have seen this movie love it, critics and audiences alike. It's because the movie was absolutely brilliant.

Green Gogol and Lera_Swift like this.
  17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    oh wow look! Another JJ hater!

Green Gogol and Lera_Swift like this.
  18. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  19. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

Exactly. You don't have an "Awakening" unless it's been dormant, which implies she's been trained in the Jedi arts before said dormancy.

20. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015

The answer is more Kylo Ren was severely crippled and emotionally confused, Rey was already highly skilled in staff combat which likely transfers pretty well to a lightsaber, and Rey got help from the Force just as Luke did when he blew up the Death Star.

Green Gogol and Darth_Voider like this.
  21. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    Ive seen every episode of LOST, I think I'm allowed :p

ShaneP, Vehgah and NostalgiaFan like this.
  22. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    More like Jar Jar Abram's explanation was garbage.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] I don't agree with you about TFA at all, but yeah, Lost….lost me. :(

24. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I'm actually not so hard on the fact that she beat Kylo.

My issue is that she knew how to draw on the Force, something Luke had to be guided by Obi-Wan into.

I hope, and think, they may explain it, but from the standpoint of the film, it looks as if it comes too easily to her.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah but that's a matter of opinion. It made sense to me based on the movie and what we've seen from little Annie.

Green Gogol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.