main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST We Must Stop with the Mary Sue Putdowns

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Plan741, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    The absolutely most frightening creation that ever came out of star wars wasn't the death star, or the rancor, or the sarlaac pit, or even vader or the emperor. None of these pale in comparison to the FanBoys who are so enamored by the Prequels that they nitpick everything to death in TFA. With regard to the script and storylines of the PT's, someone close to Lucas should have told him to
    [​IMG]

Green Gogol and Lera_Swift like this.
  2. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    When you "learn" how to deflect blaster bolts blind within a matter of seconds, I call that easy peasy lemon squeezy and the quickest lesson ever

Stoneymonster likes this.
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt, DD. No, my words were imperfectly composed, it's true, and I apologize for inadvertently ruffling feathers, but it's also true that I said them out a genuine need, first, to connect with the person behind the position, and then to understand the position, and at the end of the process I came away with a better understanding of the person and even respect for her position. It isn't necessary that I agree completely with it, just that I grant it validity alongside my own and respect what it is based in for her. Can anyone ask for better? :)

4. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    What's Rey meant to do in ep8?

Get betterer at beating Kylo?

Luke's character has no where to progress to at the end of ROTJ, the same has happened with Rey. All you can really get is her beating Kylo, something we've already seen.

dsematsu, Wolfgang187 and nalkwan like this.
  5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

If that is the limit of your imagination of where this can go, I am truly sorry.

6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    But lame little Ani was built as some messianic once in a life time demi-god. . .for some weird reason [Wasn't he just some old dude in a suit?]

Rey is. . .Rey. All those other comparisons come from people expecting the movie to "rhyme" with the older ones.

What I find funny is that people are using the PT as a template for Rey's character when for the longest time people were whining about how VII needs to be more like the OT.

The world of SWs fandom makes no sense.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    And what is the "just right" amount of power, pray tell, Goldilocks? We see Rey get left on the planet when she's about 5 yrs. old. Do you know how much Jedi training she had before that moment? No?! Why not?! Perhaps the memory of her Force training was "re-awakening" within her. Do you put limitations on what the Force can do?

Lera_Swift and ShaneP like this.
  8. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    I can't get behind the whole "maybe theyll explain it so the movie makes sense at a later time" argument. Its simply bad film making

9. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015

You must really hate ESB then.

Green Gogol likes this.
  10. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    yeah. I'm kind of just being optimistic.

But at least he was shown being INSTUCTED.

I can't believe these arguments you guys are making. They're terrible.

11. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    You must not like a lot of franchise series then.

Green Gogol and Wolfgang187 like this.
  12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You assume she can't progress because you haven't watched Ep 8 yet. Come on, you're judging her in ONE film compared to Luke in THREE. ESB was a bolt out of the blue. It reinvented everything we assumed from Star Wars. I was there. 8 years old.

It was real. All of it. :p

Green Gogol likes this.
  13. Wolfgang187

Apr 8, 2002
    Exactly! shes already bested the main villain! What is the point?

14. PalpShouldLive

PalpShouldLive Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2005
    Same.

It's the Mind-Trick of the stormtrooper and the telekinesis of the Lightsaber. Not the fight. It could be explained later, though.

Still, even if it is explained. It's a Mary Sue-ism. Just because it's all explained and justified doesn't make the character's journey a great story. It's a generic adventure story with a powerful protagonist that BARELY struggles/suffers.

It's the story that suffers when a character isn't relatable. I don't find Rey or TPM Anakin relatable, like someone said: they kind of feel just like mechandise props and not characters.

Leia is a great character because she can handle herself AND needs help. It's the give and take character interactions that make the story.
    Rey is an okay character because she handles herself all on her own or nearly so. Seems too one-sided. She saves the day, all day, every day.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  15. Wolfgang187

Apr 8, 2002
    Name a film franchise where the main character got his/her power by doing nothing AND the film makers chose to not explain it in that film...
    Just saying, Superman wouldve been VERY confusing if they neglected to tell the Krypton story and just started with him at the daily planet

lbr789 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  16. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Psst. He's not the main villain.

"Doing nothing" is where you are wrong.

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

What makes you think Kylo is the main villain? He's a lame duck at best, and seriously wounded to boot. He's like a little puppet to Snoke.

The main problem is you see Kylo as this main bad ass Maul-like villain. He's nothing of the sort.

He's not even as tough as Maul's long lost little brother Lenny Maul. :p

He's just a kid with a hand made saber, helmet and a nice looking cloak. He's already been exposed as a fraud.

Green Gogol likes this.
  18. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    Star Wars is pretty simple in it's ways.

When you see the Starkiller with X-Wings racing towards it you know what's going to happen.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  19. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    A Mary Sue is a perfect character with no flaws. But Rey is not perfect and she does have flaws:

1) tries to poison the intruders on the Falcon but it doesn't work
    2) tries to save the day and accidentally lets the Rathtars free
    3) tries to shoot with the safety on

And that's the surface stuff. Then you get into:
    Her good-natured naivety:
    1) Waiting for a family that deep down you know isn't coming back.
    2) Choosing not to sell BB-8 when surely she should've realized that he was way too nice a droid without someone wanting to get their hands on him. Not arguing here that she should have sold him, just arguing that she should not have been surprised when thugs were coming to steal him.
    3) Running after a tentacled monster much larger than her.

I mean yes she is brave, admirably brave. But at what point do you draw the line between bravery and foolishness? I mean that's a great thing to explore even more than previous SW films have. I don't think Rey is a flat character at all, and I certainly don't think she is perfect.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

21. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    When exactly was Luke instructed in how to wield a lightsaber in a duel? At least Rey was already highly skilled and experienced in weapon combat.

Also lets not forget that a half trained Luke still got multiple shots in against Darth Vader (who is a powerful Sith lord and would utterly annihilate Kylo Ren) in the ESB duel.

Green Gogol likes this.
  22. Wolfgang187

Apr 8, 2002
    Kid with a lightsaber trained by Snoke and possibly Luke.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Neither one of them finished training him either. How'd that work out for Luke in ESB? Didn't finish with Yoda and Kenobi.

Green Gogol likes this.
  24. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    1. In between ANH and ESB after he learned the basics of the force on the MF, and he still got his butt handed to him.

2. He STILL got his butt handed to him.

Why are people forgetting these things?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  25. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    Snoke is a disposable character.

They've taken the very obvious Vader/Emperor relationship and rehashed it.

Except this time Luke beat Vader in the first movie.

Wolfgang187 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.