main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA We need Bubba's Reviews! Fourth Fantastic Edition!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I really liked Atonement.

Wow, your friend's wife was GREAT in the movie!
    And I definitely like Elton better than Billy.

2. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Ok.. I gotta go see it then (I Love You, Man). Anyone want to go with me? My movie partner will be gone for a while.

I also want to see Fast and Furious.

3. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I'll go with you if you come here. We have Southwest now, dontcha know!

4. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I'd love to go, but not to the Fast and Furious one...

5. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I like to wait until movies are on DVD or satellite. I don't much like seeing movies with the unwashed masses anymore. I actually don't think I've seen a movie on the big screen since 2007, and that was only because we were guests of the writer. I really don't miss it at all. I like movies, mind you -- I just don't care to see them in modern cinemas. And I really don't care about seeing things "first." The SW Prequels cured me of that! LOL

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    A movie like Star Trek needs to be seen on a big screen. I think the new Terminator movie warrants the same treatment too. Harry Potter also.

7. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I have a love/hate relationship with seeing movies in the theatre. I love being around other people and sharing the experience, especially when it's a movie people might be fans of (X-men, SW etc). But I can't handle it when people take out their cell phones.

Perfect example: Seeing the remake of Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th at Graumans. Those tix are more expensive than most theatres, and yet these people pay the ticket and proceed to text message the ENTIRE movie! If you want to text, you could've saved the 13-15 dollars and stayed home!

The best example of getting payback for that was when JY and I saw My Bloody Valentine 3D. Someone pulled out their phone in the front row a few times. So someone from the back yelled: "Put away your phone, white trash!" and cracked the entire theatre up! That didn't stop the personf rom doing it once more, but it was awesome. At the end of the movie there was a Q and A, and that person who yelled the comment out got a free DVD from the movie promoters. Awesome.

8. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Awesome story APL! [face_laugh]

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That is a great story.

10. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    The end I didn't mention to that story is, that the person with the phone was NOT WHITE! but I love the insult anyway.

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That is funny. I've had people do that in the theatre and I've wanted to throttle them.

12. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Well MZ is totally right! If you haven't seen Slum Dog Millionaire, see it NOW before it leaves the theatres(which could be any dy now), even if you have to play hooky from work one day. It was definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year. But, it is only April.

I also saw some movies on HBO, Cinemax or Showtime which I thought were pretty good, Love In the Time of Cholera about a love triangle between three upper class Columbians (2 men & 1 woman) from the late 1890's to the 1930's. Very atmospheric and romantic in a nontraditional or at least a non North American way.

13. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I think the Reader should've won best Picture at the Oscars. IF you haven't seen it-you must once it comes out. Very very powerful film.

Slumdog is overrated. It was a fun story but it did not deserve all those awards, especially cinematography. And Wall-E should've won Best Original song. Why weren't there as many songs nominated this year? Strange, don't you think?

I was hoping to see Observe and Report in an early screening tomorrow, but it's sold out.

14. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I started watching The Reader, but it was too heavy for me.

I saw Fast and Furious! I really enjoyed it! The F&F series is my movie "junk food". I know they aren't good, but I really enjoy them. I can watch F&F 3: Tokyo Drift over and over.

15. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Milk: I saw it finally, and it was fantastic! Brought back so many memories of my youth -- my first election I got to vote against the Briggs amendment! I was so proud then. But sad now: hard to believe that 30 years on we haven't advanced much. Aside: I went to college with the cousin of his killer. She was pretty awful. Defending the indefensible. But better to see the dark side of folks clearly, I always say...

16. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I saw "UP" last weekend in 3D. It was very charming and the 3D was excellent. Gone are the old paper glasses with one red eye and one blue eye. The new glasses are regular looking lightweight horn rims, easy to wear for a couple of hours. I'd recommend "UP" to all age groups who are old enough to wear the glasses.

17. Clawdite_Daisy

Clawdite_Daisy Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    My mother saw it last week and liked it. They actually charged her 4 dollars extra for the glasses. What a rip off. The ticket person told her they charge it even if you bring your own glasses from a previous visit.

18. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I finally saw 'Wolverine' and was so glad I didn't miss it in the movies. My opinion is that this movie was almost as good as the Star Trek movie...not a dull moment! Maybe I added 1/2 star because I am a Hugh Jackman fan. I've enjoyed almost all his movies, even 'The Fountain' and 'Van Helsing.' Wolverine looked absolutely perfect to me, just buff enough without looking like a big Hulk. All the other mutants moved with such poetry!! even the bad guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.