main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BC We need more people here

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Gungan_Lover, Dec 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    I would like this place to become worthwhile, but we need to get more people to visit here. Does anybody have any ideas as to how we could do that?

2. Peej

Peej Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
    I am not really sure other than drugging them perhaps... There must be more people local for the lineups for SW were what looked to be miles long when it was out. A good way is to perhaps stress the rules for this section are not so picky as the main forums.

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I like the idea of drugging random strangers and letting them know there are desparate starwars fan dying to meet up with others of like mind and persuasion...

serioisly. The best way for people to hear about this sort of thing is by word of mouth. Talk to your realife friends and acquaintances about the fanforce stuff and let the fun begin. start silly fun and outrageous thread topics and let the word spread.

And use the things yourselves. Talk about you... see new thread I'm starting later...

Chat soon!

Derisa

4. ninjedi

ninjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2000
    I think the creation of these new forums was overkill a bit. There are millions of Star Wars fans, but how many know about and visit this site? Then how many of those people are in B.C.? Then how many of those people want to visit these forums for the sake of talking to other B.C. fans? Pretty few by the turnout. Not much to talk about here that can't be covered in the main forums. I mean really, is B.C. a hotbed of SW activity? Not really. I expect to see tumbleweeds blowing through here in a couple of weeks.

5. TIBRIN

TIBRIN Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2000
    Hi there everyone! Man, I really should've checked this place earlier-I didn't even know that FanForce had merged with the JC till a few minutes ago. Anyway, We can't let tumbleweed start to blow through here or it'll never leave! We have to chat among ourselves and get to know each other-so lets start with this:
    How long have all of you been fans of Star Wars?

6. Peej

Peej Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
    The earliest memory I have of getting into Star Wars was standing in line on Granville street to see Return Of The Jedi when it first came out. I had seen Star Wars before but oddly (horrifically even) it did not catch me right then. Since then I have lost track of how many times I've watched the triology and episode one. I was even one of those sick and twisted people to buy the new set just to see the marginally useless Episode II tidbits.

7. Freddyfry

Freddyfry Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2000
    Try placing random boards like im doing!
    Im also from van Just off west broadway

8. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    see here is another person

9. spoodger

spoodger Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2001
    hey all, I have though the same thing about finding others who collect. I think the major problem is that it takes some effort to go to each of the different sites.
    therefore, I came up with the idea of making our own yahoo group for SW collectors here in vancouver

try swvancouver@yahoogroups.com

tell me all what you think because it would be great to start something here in vancouver

10. death_blooms

death_blooms Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    hah we could have a vancouver star wars convention. with like all 8 of us!

11. kensho

kensho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    i agree ... i'm from toronto, but i will be moving to vancouver in the summer, so you can count me in.

were the line-ups really long when ep 1 came out?

i'm dying to actually *have* sw friends - most of the people i know who "like" sw don't even know who boba fett is.

it's all very depressing.

we do need to find all the local sw fans - where are they? toronto forums are, maybe not bursting, but at least livelier - they have a real sw fanbase going...

syl

12. spoodger

spoodger Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2001
    Cool to see so many people part of this forum. As I tried to mention yesterday, i have started a star wars collectors club in an attempt to bring people with the same interest (SW)together.

so far we have both males and 2 females joined up so what are you all waiting for.

13. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    In answer to the question, I didn't see the movies until I was nineteen, only eleven years ago. My sister saw the original in the theatres, I just read the books of the first three movies as they came out. That was enough to get me writing fanfic at the age of ten or eleven, as a very old friend recently reminded me. Apparently I would sit out on her balcony for hours, ranting about how I *understood* Han Solo, who she thought was something of a creep... guess I liked scoundrels even back then! :D

I dated a guy who owned every single SW collectible from the sheets and curtains to a Revenge of the Jedi poster, all the figs, even a Millenium Falcon: the *big* one... when I was thirteen... I watched bits of the movies at his place, but didn't see all three all the way through until I was nineteen and babysitting for a lady who owned bootleg vids.

When Episode I came out, I was at VCon, (co-ordinating the SCA demo and avoiding my ex) and bought into the busride/viewing party that went to see it: we had reserved a theatre at the SilverCity in Surrey. Nothing like four hundred scifi fans crowded into a theatre for the film event of the decade... the roar that went up at the opening before the crawl... very cool. And of course we talked about nothing else at the con after that.

We held the deaddog/wrap party at our house (rented the Podracer video game: that's what I spent most of my time doing... :D), and there was no question, I was *hooked*.

I found out about the JC when i was on my way to an SCA event with a good friend from Victoria, and she asked what I was writing (I was working on the synopsis of a novel under construction) and I told her and she started raving about this fanfic forum she was a part of. well, I got home and logged on and well, here I am. It's been ten months, and I have made some real friends and met some very cool people, geeks like me. It's neat. When I finally do publish, I'll have a built-in fanbase, cuz I'll advertise like heck here. And hey, I might even get snagged to write an SW novel in a few years! :D (Hey, I can dream! :D)

*Derisa*

14. kensho

kensho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    I'm not completely familiar with all vancouver stuf - what kind of cons and sci-fi/sw events take place, if any?

Nice to here that there is a fanbase after all, if you managed to rent a SilverCity! Yay, I won't be utterly alone when I move...

(Moving in the summer)

SCA = is what? society for creative anachronism?

Sounds like an interesting fan story - fanfic at 10! kickass. for some reason i've never been able to really write fanfic - maybe a story here and there, but never posted one. i read some, though. but good luck on writing that future sw novel!

15. christinejade86

christinejade86 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2001
    Hello People!

Im a VERY big fan of SW so I decided to check out tfn. I was looking up the trivia questions and I somehow ended up here. I'm glad I did :)
    I'm from Vancouver by the way on the eastside.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Yes, SCA= Society for Creative Anachronism. I've been involved for seventeen years, and am now holding a Kingdom Office. Keeps me busy... :D

That was a pretty decent VCon: A.C. Crispin was the writer GoH, Braun McAsh, a fight choreographer and swordsmanship instructor from the Highlander series, and of course the great local Vancouver author Don Debrandt was there, life of the party as usual.

There is a large scifi fan community in Van, but there are a lot of politics around the con scene, unfortunately. I recommend people go to the cons there if there are speakers they want to hear, but be prepared for the political aspect, just plead ignorance and have fun regardless.

And say hi to Bob for me! :)

*Derisa*

Any of you geekish enough to travel all the way to DragonCon in September (it's in the eastern states, I think): it's the largest StarWars focussed fancon in the world...:) I'm thinking about going...

17. kensho

kensho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    What is this VCon? Is it specifically sw-focused or just general sci-fi, where does it take place?

What sort of politics?

Interesting interesting. I'm thinking of going to University of Victoria, if i get in(key words, those) - any idea of what it's like?

18. spoodger

spoodger Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2001
    well ,we need more people to at SW vancouver!

so, far, 7 males, 3 females have joined and who knows whats next.

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/swvancouver

swvancouver is better than the websites because it allows us to discuss things concerning SW over email, making discussions easier!

hope to see you there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.