main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Right - but the female Jedi on the council are not as powerful as the male Jedi. And the female politicians are never as powerful as the male ones. Why? Being on the council is great, but why can't Yaddle instead of Yoda be boss?

2. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    You are.the one who should.be.careful because you are threating a member. What i said its not so difficult to understand and its not something insulting: ill repeat it: i just say that in the real world there are more action men (policemen,firemen, extreme sports men, explorers, etc) than women. So, if the film wants to be realistic, there are more probabilities the leading character is a guy. Of course there are and.there.can be excepcions, and star wars vii can be an excepcion, but i was just explaining to her why i thought that. And if you dont like the gender differences the problem is yours not mine. Men and women are equally intelligent and clever and capable of doing things. Its just a matter that men like, in numbers, doing different professions or activies than women.

3. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Padme is quite powerful as a senator, no less so than Bail Organa. Naboo has a string of elected female executive heads of government. Female characters are indeed very powerful in the PT.

In the PT, male characters had to be the focus. Yoda had to be the Council leader. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi had to be the heroes. Palpatine had to be the rising villain. There were some missed opportunities for female characters with larger speaking roles (Female Qui-Gon? Female Mace Windu? Hell, Adi Gallia being the one non-major council member who speaks up rather than Ki-Adi-Mundi?), but in general the male-heaviness was a result of the plot necessities.

The ST offers a clean slate for new characters. Beyond the returning OT and PT characters, the ST's characters can be of any gender. I am personally hoping for a healthy mix of male and female characters, each well-written.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  4. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005

Why isn't a fork called a spoon? It was just written that way.

But Jaina does kill Jacen in the books. As they are twins, one would think that their ability to use the Force is about even. Yet they chose to write that Jaina had to beat him, not Luke. In fact they make Luke a little weaker, not physically or through the Force, but he can't handle the emotions to face Jacen and not fall to the dark side himself.

Jaina was able to overcome that obstacle and then go on to beat Jacen.

Mara Jade might not have been more powerful than Luke but I'm sure there were plenty of male Jedi and even ones on the council she could have bested.

It's certainly not unthinkable that a female could have a lot of midiclorians and be the most powerful Jedi walking around. It would just be nature that would allow that to occur... (actually all it will take is a writer to write it that way)

But it's not just about "power" whether we are talking about the Force or physical strength. It is also smarts, cunning, cleverness, determination... There are so many factors that can go into it.

I was on Tricia Barr's panel at Geek Girl Con back in August and one of the questions was, what makes a female character "strong" and is there a difference between being "strong" as a female and being "strong" as a male.

I'd suggest looking up some of the quotes on that panel at fangirlblog.com.

BTW I am a guy but my wife was very much into promoting strong female characters. So I've kind of taken up that mantle for her when I can.

And I'm not going to say there needs to be 5 core female characters. I'm not going to say that a female has to be the lead role in the ST.

But if they did choose to give a huge part to a female character in the ST, that not only would it be credible and realistic. But it would be refreshing and fun.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    But here it is again. A woman is great but not the best. Why are woman always like Secretary of State? Why can't they for once be President, just like that?
    Jaina may have bested Jacen, but I don't think he was trying as hard as he could have, ans she's still not the best.

6. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

I didn't threaten you at all, friend.

I was giving you a heads up. That type of talk is going to offend quite a few people on these boards. Although I am going to go ahead and report this situation to the mods so that they know that I didn't threaten you.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    HOLD UP
    STAR WARS IS REALISTIC??!!
    [face_laugh]

8. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

Sorry, I really don't know how to respond to what you are saying. I'm going to just leave this thread. I think what I said was spoken pretty clearly.

Obviously they haven't made a female a lead role in a major Star Wars story line just yet. I'm just simply pointing out a couple of instances where it is credible. We will just have to wait and see what happens but we can just show our support to the creators of the new films that we would like to see more strong, kick-butt females in Star Wars. I'm not going as far as saying that a female has to be the lead character. That won't make or break the film for me either way. I'm just saying that it can happen and that I'd like to see it happen, whether it is in the lead role or in a strong secondary supporting role.

I just don't see why in threads like these, there has to be any negativity. Why someone would come in and say they don't like a lot of female characters just baffles me. (not talking to you Green_man)

If people want to go bicker over director's, writers, or even what the story should be about, I'm all for that. But to come into a thread with this kind of subject matter and just be inflammatory like that. Just makes no sense to me.

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    This has been a cute little tangent. But you're insulting several generations of police women, female fire fighters, female athletes and female soldiers. You need to chill with that, and open your ears.

10. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012

What?? I dint insult ANYONE. Did you read what i wrote? I just said.that in numbers, there are more men than women that are policemen, etc. Is that an insult?

11. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    lol...Alderaan Luke ......man vs woman....dude if you had a wife you would have shut up a long time ago..LMAO.....its ok to joke but dude your serious...wtf

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Or more importantly, a DAUGHTER.

13. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012

Yes, in some aspects it tries to be realistic and be relative to the real world In other aspects is just fantasy, bit in many aspexts it tries to be realistic, yes.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It's not an insult. But if you see a film about a woman firefighter, are you going to say that she should have been a man because statistically there are more men? HELLO it's a focused, specialized story. Just because more men do something does not mean all stories that come out of it should be male-focused.

15. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    lol they are called police woman not policemen.....no woman can be a police"man"
    And there are more men in armed services not because of strength but because of years of Bigots who told woman who and what they could be but the worlds changing and you need to change to.....and get a girlfriend or wife so you dont say such stupid ****

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Well, most high-ranking politicians are men. So a magazine shouldn't run an article about Hillary Clinton, because statistically she is an anomaly? She's real. So are powahfull women.

17. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    What?? I think you are getting personal and i should say something to.the Moderator. Ive got family, im married with a wonderful wife and i dont.have any problems with her, we.are happy.

18. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I have six daughters one son

LawJedi likes this.
  19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    LawJedi was not talking to you. You have made it clear that you are not sexist. He was talking to Alderaan Luke.

20. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Does she inflate?....can she come to the computer or is she to busy in the kitchen fixing you some fiddles for dinner...lol

21. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I know I was just joining in with fun"Me" facts

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    She can come to the computer as long as she does it quietly. lol

23. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    And there are more women than men that are college students and graduates in the United States. That doesn't mean there aren't millions of intelligent and highly qualified men or that they should be underrepresented in media. ;)

As was said earlier, the PT and EU have laid the groundwork. It's not a matter of immutable differences between men and women. Female characters have carried and are already carrying SW narratives as central characters. You'll find Star Wars graphic novels and TV episodes starring action heroines. It won't take much at all beyond a simple will on the part of writers and producers for the ST to mirror this.

darksideyesplease likes this.
  24. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    She might even have to stop and ask for directions...with a strong man to help her

LawJedi and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So maybe you can get him banned. You can also get yourself banned because what you have been saying can be taken as INCREDIBLY offensive by many here, also on a personal level.

darksideyesplease likes this.