main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Alien Movies.....= tough woman handling ****!

2. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    You still havent undertood.it. Of course the magazine should do articles of powerful women,.and of.course are real. I was talking.about action, adventure professions. But if.there were more powerful men than women, what do you think the magazine does? The.magazine correlates to that reality and does.more articles about powerful men than articles about women. That doesnt mean the magazine cant do, and indeed it does a lot.of articles about powerful women, just not.so much.

I am open about a leader female character in Episode VII. I was just explaining why in star wara that is not common.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    A lot of them are very good, but why haven't we seen any that are the hands-down BEST? A woman is councilmember, but not grand master.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You're dwelling of straw man arguments about gender that would make even a middle school student roll their eyes and do a spit take, and dragging in real professionals who put their lives on the line, to justify the decisions made in a fictional world of allegory and metaphor.

But ok. Let's go back to talking about that 5'9 featherweight Mark Hamill is a worthy alpha male space hero for a trilogy of space operas.

darksideyesplease likes this.
  5. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I am not offended by what alderaan luke said I just think he is to stupid to know better...the fault really lies with his lack of a strong male role model in his life so he over compensates.

6. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    That is simply not.true. i havent said nothing personal, nothing. If you get it personal is your issue, but i have saigd nothing personal to anyone. And about the incredible offensive thing. What is that? Saying that there are in.the world more.policmen than.policewomen ?wow, if that is offensive, you have an issue.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Saurion-Fett you may not be offended, but what he is saying applies to so many more people.

8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    True. Perhaps Lucasarts and Bioware could have canonised Revan's gender as female so that the most powerful and influential Jedi and Sith of his generation is instead a female. KOTOR fans have spilled a lot of digital ink on this perceived mistake of the powers that be.

As far as the ST goes, I was thinking that perhaps Leia could have a full leadership position as the leader of the Jedi Order. While I imagine Luke to be more esoteric and spiritual, Leia - with her strong romantic attachment to Han Solo and her status as royalty and a political elite - could become a different sort of Jedi who is more politically active and emotionally tied to worldly existence, effectively the Mace Windu of her generation.

9. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    What do you guys think of a female smuggler type or even a female bounty hunter having a big role? Or perhaps the villain being female.

10. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    go back and read carefully between the lines of what I just said........its easier than understanding a Zahn Novel

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that idea. Maybe have a daughter of Han take after his profession? Not sure if she should be force-sensitive or not.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    We've seen a female bounty hunter have a large role in Legacy...but in the end she still gets saved by her boyfriend.
    Let her do the saving for once.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So. Like. Jaina?

14. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Even though alot of ladies out there don't want another gold bikini.....seduction is a powerful tool....I would have turn to the Dark Side in a second for leia.

15. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    NO nothing like crappy EU characters....stop dropping there names in every thread ....LMAO

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well Jaina was more of a Jedi/Fighter pilot. I don't remember Jaina running contraband or anything. Besides the Jaina we know now might not exist.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

18. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Yep....awesome..but with a better back story

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Saurion-Fett Talon's creators plan to flesh out her backstory.
    Unless she ceases to exist come 2015.

20. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    I agree, sex or the possibility of it can be a powerful tool and has made many of men do stupid things. There's some reality for you. lol.

It's a touchy subject. I'd love to have a thoughtful discussion not on a forum with some people on this subject more deeply. I know a lot of the women fans don't want the heroines to be scantily clad and I get that. But the truth is women are gorgeous creatures and they can have a grace about them that a man just can't pull off, if that makes any sense. That doesn't mean we have to have our female Jedi's wearing string bikini's while they fight. But in a movie, especially a movie like Star Wars where so much of the experience is the visuals, of course we all want to see appealing things. Bright colors, attractive people, incredible wardrobes, etc. etc.

I think there can be a balance but where is that balance. Obviously you can't make everyone happy. I know that much. But it's still a very intriguing subject. Sex and the appeal of it is a natural part of life and for a lot of people, it's a big part of their life in one way or another.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Padme was sexy even in those huge ceremonial gowns she wore. Sometimes clothes make the look.

22. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    I agree, sometimes leaving something to the imagination is very appealing. I think that is part of that balance.

Obviously when she got into action though, she was wearing a skin tight white outfit though and it was ripped to show her midriff. Which as a man, I'm not going to complain having to look at Natalie Portman's stomach. I'm just not going to do it. lol

I think more of the touchy subject would be actually using a sexualized attitude to manipulate people. When if ever is it okay for a heroine to use this to her advantage. Is it offensive that they would have to stoop to this kind of tactic? I'm just not sure. Those are the kinds of opinions I'd like to hear, especially from women and get their take.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    We've seen a female Sith do this. I'm not sure about light side. Aayla Secura did shove her chest in a guard's face and intimidated him.

24. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    As a woman it makes me nauseous when women are depicted using their gender- especially related to sex -to manipulate men.

Then again I also hate the fact that it seems most women in sci-fi are either in skimpy, skintight outfits or completely tomboy-ish. We CAN reach a happy medium there. Look at Leia! She wouold have neevr gotten into that bikini if she wasn't a prisoner, but she was still feminine.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

I played a female Chiss Imperial Agent on The Old Republic game and there was an option at one point where I had the choice sleep with a guy to get the information I needed. This is where it gets difficult. Obviously women have desires just as well as men do. And I don't mean to say that only women have this control over men, it can certainly go the other way in certain situations. It's just a subject matter that is far too complicated to get into on a forum and keep it civil and safe and it is certainly a little off topic from what this thread is supposed to be about. But anyone can feel free to private message me and gives me your thoughts or opinions. I don't want to derail the thread anymore.