Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lord TW Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I don't buy for a moment what this blogger is tweeting, but I know that if it is true, I sure hope they don't cast Angelina Jolie.
    JoeyArnold likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    The question then becomes... who is her likelihood in complete defiance of?
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Jan 5, 2013
  3. JoeyArnold Jedi Knight

star 3

Boys like seeing hot female stars. Girls like seeing hot female stars. Guys want to date them. Girls want to grow up to be like them. When you have female protagonists, Both the female and male demographics can be reached better than showing hot male stars, except for Batman, and other famous male characters, star, which works in the reverse, that girls want to date and guys want to grow up to be like. So, you can reach both demographics through female or male leads, but since everybody is addicted to sex, then female stars may get more people to go to the big screens, especially since the last six Star Wars were already focused on two male leads, a father and a son, and it was still mostly focused on the father, even while diving a bit into the life of the son , Luke.

Do we want to see a female Tombs Raider star for the next films?

What should the lead females look like and act like in the next films? Should they or she be the focus?

Would you rather Luke's son or daughter or Leia's son or daughter kill Luke?

Would rather see Luke kill Leia or Leia kill Luke?

Do we want to see any of the good guys turn bad?

Is better to have bad guys kill Luke, Leia, Han Solo, etc?

The good guy Anakin helped the bad guy, Sidious, kill Mace Windu (unless if Windu survived).

Do we want to see the good guys assist in more murders, like we saw in the Anakin turned bad story?

Do we want to see a female lead turn bad like Anakin with boobs?
    The_Book_of_Sith likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss Force Ghost

star 4
    Not to offend, but I'm kinda confused on what you are trying to say. How does sex appeal pertain to 7-10 year old boys exactly? The ones who overwhelmingly consume the extended merchandise?
    Last edited by Zuckuss the Ruckuss, Jan 5, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Don't think too hard on it. You'll sleep easier.
  7. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7

LOL.
    El_Machete12 likes this.
  8. Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master

star 2
    WOOOOOW....

That jedi fall luke does in ESB is nothing compared to reality
    Juliane Diller (born 1954 in Lima as Juliane Margaret Koepcke) is best known for being the sole survivor of 93 passengers and crew in the December 24, 1971, crash of LANSA Flight 508 (a LANSA Lockheed Electra OB-R-941 commercial airliner) in the Peruvian rainforest. After her airliner blew up in midair, she survived after falling about 10,000 feet still strapped to her airliner seat, before the seat crashed through the rainforest canopy and came to rest on the forest floor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

Wow, she is now one of my most favorite survival stories.

Just saying , more woman characters yes. Some women are super human ... or very very strong in the force.
    Last edited by Yodahasgreenfeet, Jan 5, 2013
  9. Plebeian Jedi Master

star 1
    Jaina Solo seems possible, if they don't retcon half of the post ROTJ-EU.
    Otherwise, they could just be introducing a new female Skywalker protagonist.
  10. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
  11. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    Oh, outstanding. I did not know this. Thank you Echo-07.
  12. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Anakin was the main protagonist for the PT and Luke for the OT so I'm thinking the pattern will continue and we'll get a male Skywalker as the main protagonist for the ST.
  13. Boxster Force Ghost

star 1
    I hope its not going to center around a group of love-sick teenagers ala Twilight!
    Echo-07 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  14. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    Who is Nomi Skywalker? o_O
  15. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    There is nothing saying bits and pieces of the EU can't be used, for example they could use a Jaina Skywalker and have whatever age they wanted.
    They are not bound or limited to the EU, everybody needs to remember that
    Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    The possibly new character for the ST. Still speculation though
  17. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, some of us fans being hardcore, have speculated that [based on some of the things GL has said over the years] that there very well could be a female Skywalker lead. Years ago, when George was constantly reworking SW he came up with a character named "Nomi Starkiller" who originally was Luke's sister. Of course things have morphed over the years but wse can still speculate the George likes to recycle old ideas and came up with Nomi Skywalker as the potential daughter of Luke. Of course that could be completely wrong as well.

"Nomi" has become the place holder name of Luke's daughter.
  18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss Force Ghost

star 4
    The original 7,8,9 was in essence Luke learning to be a Jedi and finding his sister. The dynamic was supposed to be brother and sister. That is why I was throwing out the whole concept of cousins because:

a)We haven't seen it. Its something new.

b)It can easily replace the brother/sister dynamic.
  19. fett 4 Chosen One

star 4
    People talk about male and female leads and gearing towards certain audiences but the Clone Wars is a popular TV show and the main charachters are pretty much Ahsoka as the female lead with Anakin in support, rather than the other way around.

I even wonder if that might be replicated a bit in the sequels, with the Solo/Skywalker female lead and ghost Anakin in the Obi-wan role.
    Last edited by fett 4, Jan 6, 2013
  20. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I wouldn't mind a female protagonist...as long as she's written well. I sincerely hope that a passive heroine is considered...god knows that movies in particular need more of those. Padmè was good step in the right direction, in my opinion the best example in years. Her story however is weak, dismissed and incomplete in the eyes of many,due to the cutting of the scenes that explore her character in part, along with complaints resulted in a way to mess her character became in TCW along with the partial substitution with Satine. If its decided that that she should be"kick-ass" than I hope she's given purpose as well a story on her own right rather than suffer the same fallacies and problems that Leia, Ashoka and (from a little research) to a large extent EU females like Mara.

It may be foolish of me to hope that the mold be broken once more within SW in regards to women once more to provide a wholesome and balanced female lead, but with great care it can be done.
  21. Poor Greedo Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I'm all for more women leads, as long as the story is not compromised to accommodate them. in other words, don't force it. pun fully intended. :)
  22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss Force Ghost

star 4
    Its not really true though, the clone wars TV series has multiple protagonists. Ashoka, at times, is the main character and other times she is a support character. It depends on the narrative of the episode. Some episodes clone characters are the main characters. Stuff like that can really only be pulled off on TV.

I don't think you can replicate that type of dynamic for films.
  23. fett 4 Chosen One

star 4
  24. Zuckuss the Ruckuss Force Ghost

star 4
    No, your missing my point. I mean doing a clone wars type of narrative with characters perspective in constant flux. Its too many narratives.

I'm not talking about female characters in general.

The point is Ashoka is not really carrying the narrative for an entire series. The narratives are constantly changing so its not a good example.
    Last edited by Zuckuss the Ruckuss, Jan 6, 2013
  25. fett 4 Chosen One

star 4
    Right I get you now.