main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    Perhaps she could have a seat on a new Jedi Council. I mean, the Old Republic version was dominated by men, after all. Leia could also fulfill something of the Kenobi role, only (obviously) as a woman. A wise, elder female Jedi is not really something we've seen. Jocasta Nu really doesn't count

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    EU aside, my head canon was always that Luke and Leia were the Yoda and Mace of the post-ROTJ Jedi Council. Who better than Leia to liaise with Chancellor and the Senate? While Luke is more of the spiritual figurehead, like Yoda.

3. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    Exactly. Wasn't Leia herself meant to be the Chancellor (or whatever they call it in the New Republic) at one stage, after Mon Mothma? I'm not sure I'd like to see Leia in that position, but definitely in a position of some consequence.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes! & that exactly what this new generation of Starwars needs. To showcase the power & stregth of women. Female heroes & female sidekicks, forget old myth, its time to set the stage for the new improved Starwars. This is what we need to see. No more Aunt Berus & slave Shmis, bring on the real women of tthe world.

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Whoever the female character is, I hope that Rose Byrne plays her. She has ties to the universe and is a great actress in and of herself.

6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    In the EU, yeah. Always made more sense to me to have Leia help to found the new Jedi Order than serve as a Republic elected politician. Any knucklehead with a mouth and a power suit can be a politician. You don't waste a Skywalker on politics when you need Jedi to protect the Galaxy. Plus we all know that leadership, diplomacy, and political know-how are useful skills for Jedi.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    You are not suggesting a muscler bare chest oiled up man with a leash around his neck being forced to dance by a female hutt are you? Are you?

8. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Leia should be a jedi council member

9. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I just vomited in my mouth a little......ok I give up
    no more

10. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    No, don't be ridiculous.

The hutt would be male.

11. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Ok I am sorry .....very sorry

LawJedi likes this.
  12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I wonder how Ms Kennedy would feel about such misognist statements.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Totally agreed. I think turning Leia into a full-time politician was the biggest mistake of the EU. Yoda's dying words suggest that she should become the second Jedi Master of the new line of Jedi.

LawJedi likes this.
  14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I dunno. There's something very relevant about the image of a female hutt with Rocky on a leash.

15. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This is pure baloney. Wizard of Oz is loved by all children. Not just girls.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    *sigh* That post was sardonic.

What percentage of gender-neutral children's film and literature features a female protagonist, would you estimate?

More tellingly, what percentage of the authors and directors are female, even if you do count the ones like J.K. Rowling who have been forced to mask their gender in the name of sales?

mulberry likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jaina Solo would be perfect.

We need more alien main characters too. 1-6 only had Yoda.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  18. UseTheForceLady

UseTheForceLady Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Honestly (and I know I am going to get yelled at for this) I just can not picture a female as the "main" character! Though the story of the OT centers around Luke I never felt that Leia played second fiddle to him. She is a strong female character that holds her own with no problem among a male cast of strong characters.
    I guess I just don't like the idea of setting out to make sure the story centers around a female lead. I just want it to be a great story filled with great characters!
    That said I am totally hoping for more Leia like female character awesomeness and less Amidala stiffness.

Quiet_Mandalorian likes this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    1. Who said Leia had to be the female lead? I just think she should have some meaningful role.
    2. It's a new story, a new trilogy. At this moment, there is no established "main character."
    3. At one point in the conception of ANH, Luke was a female. So it's not completely out of left field to speculate.

20. LANDOROCKS

LANDOROCKS Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    I also believe there should be more slave girl costumes being worn in the new movie.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    just so long as they aren't jedi.

22. UseTheForceLady

UseTheForceLady Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I was apparently unclear. I was not saying that Leia should be the female lead I was using her as an example of a great female character that is not a "main" character. I agree that I would love to see Leia play a role of imprtance. Obviously this is s new story and new trilogy and there are no established "main character" which is why I was sharing my opinion on the idea of the main character being female.
    I also don't think its completely ridiculous to imagine the story centering around a female its just not something I can picture!

23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    and can make me a sandwich...

Quiet_Mandalorian likes this.
  24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My girls love TCW because there are "girl Jedi." Nothing wrong with a little girl power - and something I would readily welcome.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I'd be all for the new main character to be female. It's what I'd rather see. Even if it was Ahsoka or something silly like that.