main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    You haven't been attacking my character as well? You have been saying I'm ignorant, and racist(your right to do that). But I am not attacking, the concept of you(I don't know you), but characteristics your demonstrating imo.

I also realize that this is a Star Wars forum, but I was replying to a question that Valary Scott posed. You came in later after the fact.

Perhaps, I should have run a conversation and not put it in the thread. But, I didn't think it would matter.

Curious though, don't you think it is good to have this conversation? Instead of vilifying someone. Not to dismiss someone ideas, but to fully explore them and show what is wrong(if you feel they are ignorant)?

In my opinion, if there is something that needs to be discussed. You talk about it. You don't censor it, demonize it, whatever. You don't fight ignorance with lack of thought, you fight it with more thought.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's watch the snarling at eachother, okay? Or, you know, thread locks are always a viable option.

I recommend both of you take a break from this thread and cool down.

LawJedi likes this.
  3. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    The stereotypes you throw about are terrible and unacceptable. It's nothing to do with anyone being hypersensitive.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Underworld, The Fifth Element, a book series by Lilith St Crow(Working For The Devil), Bradamante, Joan Of Arc; there are any number of strong female characters to be drawn from.

5. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I do not like the way females are portrayed of late in SW related genres. So if there are to be a wealth of them, I pray that they write them well. In reality, that goes for a number of the male characters as well, but I feel the females are more often butchered. I agree with the person above, Mara Jade was awesome - so look what happens to her.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How so? Knight Errant had a female prtagonist as will the new Legacy book. IB4 this post gets carted off to the ghetto

7. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I agree we need more women mainys. Force sensitive even. They're trying to have normal lives even though their force-ness can sometimes overwhelm them, be it through intense verbal arguments or being pregnant.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't decide whether it would be interesting or not to show how Force-sensitivity affects the hormonal changes in pregnancy.

We could see the angle of Force-sensitivity having no effect all, and dispel the stereotype that women become weepy hysterical messes during pregnancy. (Hormonal changes themselves are biological, but their effects vary greatly from woman to woman or even from pregnancy to pregnancy in the same woman. BTDT.)

Does Force-sensitivity affect one's emotions anyway? Anakin was the way he was due to his overall personality, not his Force-sensitivity.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if you wanna take Dark Empire into account if your pregnant with a powerful Force Sensitive Child you can be pretty broken
    Not really. You may get weird dreams and visions and involuntary Force Use but that's it

10. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Does anyone think there will be some "Harley Quinn" effect in Star Wars?

Sex appeal is a bit lacking in the SW Trilogies. Yes, we got Portman and Leia in a metal bikini, but theres not much going on the "Dark Side" of the force in the way of hot chicks.

I think it would be interesting to see whoever the main baddy is if they had a hot sidekick - kinda like Harley Quinn to the joker. Or the main baddy be a hottie.

Its also no secret that DC definitely 'sexed' Harley up when they rebooted everything. And the sex appeal definitely is paying off... she has become one of the most popular characters in the DC universe - even if they are making her a tad bit annoying...

Harley Before:
    [​IMG]

Harley After:

[​IMG]

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    :rolleyes: So much for women being seen as women rather than "hot sexy chicks." For every sexualized female, there should be a requirement for a sexualized male as well.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    QFT. I've been saying this for years.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  13. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    *every male's instinctive response*

14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I think that's the quandary: if you put a "sexy" or just "attractive" woman in a film, they run the risk of being just thrown in there as a "sexual" object.

Call me another Lucas lover, but I think he walked this fine line very well. Padme and Leia were very "headstrong" and "intelligent" women that happened to be very beautiful. The beauty of these characters were they were not OVER the top. They were very realistic, believable characters. Padme didn't need to be a ninja like Laura Croft, doing back-flips killing droids. Leia doesn't have to be a Kill Bill Samurai or a Navy Seal.

This was a problem I had with the EU, especially with Mara Jade. This character was created and was SO over the top. Basically the Emperors secret apprentice and also hot chick. She's the "Laura Croft" of the EU.

Sure, have female characters, but don't over compensate just for the sake of balance. It's not natural and doesn't flow well. I'm not even saying this from the "sexist" stand point. I don't like "indestructible" characters, bad or good. Male or Female.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On that video:

Such a mature, intelligent, enlightened response.

Not to mention accepting of the homosexual community.

So no, not "every" male's instinctive response, because there are some males who use the heads above their necks.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    There will be at least one female Jedi lead/main character throughout the ST, maybe even two.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm perfectly fine with a female lead. In fact, I encourage it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd be very happy if the lead was female, probably because I'd be interested in the relationships. Star Wars so far has been mostly about Fathers and sons so a Father/Daughter *or Mother/Daughter* relationship as the main focus could be VERY interesting and allow the sequel trilogy to be something new rather than a rehash of something we've already seen. Plus Hollywood needs more strong female leads and hopefully if this character is good she can become the next big strong female movie icon :)

19. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I want to see Mara Jade. I mean, is there a EU character out there that feels like they should be considered part of Star Wars' main cast of characters more than her?

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Please, no... I'd rather see Jar-Jar in a gold bikini than have that particular character in the ST.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really think we're going to get the female main character and then Jaina Solo (or whatever they decide to name the Solo child) as the supporting character/second mentor. I also have a wild theory that the main villain is going to be the Evil Mother (Luke's wife.) It's just a pet theory but I really think it would work and it would be great to finally have female villain.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fatal Alliance has an interesting mother/daughter relationship in it. However, I would not want the ST to cast a female character just to focus in her relationships. That would remind me of the media always asking female politicians who they have dated in the past, but never asking males the same question.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  23. hawkeye forever

hawkeye forever Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    I find it interesting that by stating the fact I enjoy movies with a male lead more than those with a female lead, I become labeled as a sexist or misogynist. I enjoy moves such as Hunger Games, Brave and Tangled, but personally I find movies where the main character is a male more enjoyable. I don't mind strong female characters and quite enjoy movies that have such, but what annoys me is when people call for a female lead because they want one. If a female main character works with the story line than awesome, but don't alter the storyline so we get a female character. It is no different than calling for the main character being black or from another minority group.

If you look at highest-grossing films it is well-established that movies with male leads do better than those with female. This is by no means me saying that this is why there should be a male rather than female lead. I'm just pointing out the fact that in the majority of cases, money is King (or queen).

Personally my hope is a trinity or so of main characters. You will pander to a greater crowd when the lead roles are mixed between males and females. A bigger need for the Star Wars galaxy is more characters who are from non-Caucasian ethnicities. Star Wars is more of a lilly-white galaxy (with the exception of the alien species) than it is a male galaxy.

24. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Ehm.
    [​IMG]

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What about Threepio? :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.