main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes. Wasn't my intention to leave them out. My bad. [face_blush]

2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This I agree with. The female characters of the ST shouldn't be restricted to the background "green-skinned space babe" or prominent "royal love interest" roles. In my view, the lead character of the ST (ie. its equivalent of Anakin and Luke) should be a human woman.

Bran Kenobi likes this.
  3. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Nah, it's just... we're going to be having these conversations for the next few years. Might as well start laying the groundwork. [face_coffee]

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think the main action hero in Episodes VII-VIII-IX should be a woman.

Princess Leia was pretty kick-ass and proactive hero in ANH, but she mellowed out a bit in TESB and a bit more in ROTJ, starting to fade to the background. And the trilogy never belonged to her, it belonged to Luke. The OT didn't really have any other strong female characters. I think Mon Mothma and Aunt Beru might be the only other women seen in the entire OT, period.

Queen Padme Amidala also started off as a very strong, kick-ass, pro-active, intelligent and courageous hero in TPM. Arguably, she was more of a main character in Episode I than Obi-wan was, maybe even more than Anakin, second only to Qui-gon. She was subdued in AOTC, but still was strong-willed, taking a strong political stand, heading to Geonosis to save Obi-wan, fighting alongside the Jedi. But then she was extremely docile in ROTS, and ended up dying of a broken heart after giving birth, a very pathetic end for her character. And the PT wasn't much better than the OT in having strong female characters, I can't think of any others.

It's kind of a sad pattern in the Star Wars movies. There's a token strong female character in each trilogy (and no more than one). Then her growing up, becoming a woman, and falling in love make that character into a weak-willed shadow of their younger self that defers to the men in the story. It almost makes it seem a natural part of growing up for women is naturaly becoming less assertive, less active, less of a leader, and generally weaker overall.

I think it's time for a strong female protagonist in the Star Wars movies be THE star of the sequels and break this pattern... one that shows that growing up and falling in love doesn't make her weaker but makes her even stronger. And it would be nice to show a woman can be a great Jedi (or Sith) too.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Sure, why not?

6. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    I'd be into it.

As long as she's written well.

I hate when they write female protag's as being overly touchy b*****s with a chip on their shoulder the size of an asteroid. It's terribly transparent.

Make them cool, make them tough, make them confident, and a girl hero is awesome.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on board if she is done well. As Summer Dreamer (Ghost) said, if she is shown to be a character who becomes stronger, not weaker, by growing up and falling in love. If she is shown to be a person with her own identity in spite of or in conjunction with falling in love.

Voss and Summer Dreamer like this.
  8. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Honestly, she didn't have a chance to be characterized too deeply, but my favorite female lead in recent memory was Black Widow in Avengers. Again, she didn't have many opportunities to show it, but she had a great mesh of cold, aloof exterior, some hidden emotion and heart, and a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor about her overall character.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I voted irrelevant as I think it matters more to finally have a female VILLAIN in the franchise. Women have been portrayed only in heroic roles thus far. We need some evil chicks for a change! ;)

Voss likes this.
  10. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Evil Elf your on to something.

But a Female being the main lead in Starwars?? Or a female being the main Villian??

I say... is it too much to ask for both? The more the better..plus the screen will be pretty..

11. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I don't know. I kind of think the assumptions often made today that if a woman wants to be in a traditional mother-wife roll that it is somehow weak, is in itself rather sad and insulting. Also the suggestion that any character is present as the "token" representative of their gender or race is pretty lame. It suggests that artists should place characters in stories to fulfill socially relevant roles, as opposed to doing what their heart tells them to do. “Weak” female character don’t make the artist sexist, but it just might point that out about those who make such a claim.

Jobertus and UseTheForceLady like this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not saying that being a stay-at-home mom is weak or anything... but we've only had 2 main female characters over 6 movies... and both started off strong and ended much more passive than where they started. Shouldn't the ST break that pattern?

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Is there such a thing as a female wookie?

14. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    As long as they can act, and they are intelligent but also gorgeous so I am guaranteed to fall in love with them :p

15. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    And that goes for hero and villain!

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No, Wookies reproduce asexually... :p

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I can respect that but let me ask you this. Han, Anakin, Leia & Padme were in aa relationship imagine how many of these male characters could have easily been female & that story could still work.
    Palpatine
    Luke
    Tarkin
    Dooku
    Both Fetts
    Jabba
    Mace Windu
    Yoda
    Pieet
    Veer
    Nute Gunray
    Watto
    Lando
    Every last one of those people could have been females. Why over pack the universe with so many male characters?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    What if Jango requessted a female version clone of himself? And raised his daughter to be a greaat Bunty hunter? This why the universe needs more females. Make things more interesting.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So there goes my poll... :(

And there's a difference between more female main characters in general, and having a woman be the STAR of the ST

20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Make her the VILLAIN! A new perspective for a female character in the SW Universe!

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    What if Anakin was the young king of Naboo & Padme was the slave girl? Qui Gon frees her, Anakin becomes a Senator & needs to be protect by Jedi Padme? Would that not work? If so then why?

22. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    A female being the central protagonist would be a welcome change. It would set itself a part from the first two trilogies nicely.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    I would be in favor of a female lead, be it a hero or villain, though I don't really see it happening.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stoklasa would have a total **** fit in his 1000 minute Episode VII review.

"No woman should have a starring role in a Star Wars movie, unless she's in the kitchen making nerf steak and bringing Corellian ale to the good Jedi men."

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Don't forget about the blue milk!

I remember watching ANH in a group that included a few females. We were laughing that even in the GFFA women still do all the cooking.