main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    If you want more female main characters then the plot will have to revolve around sammiches.

UseTheForceLady likes this.
  2. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    No doubt Leia becomes a Jedi. Even if we just see her sitting on the Jedi council it would be awesome. She had the natural talent like Luke. That's why she never missed a shot shooting at storm troopers!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Misogny will never die I guess

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Unless the male side of the race ceases to be on planet earth...then no it won't.

What you have to try to do is focus on those of us who aren't misogynistic and ignore the idiots who are. :)

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As long as misogyny lives, there will be jokes inspired by it and I will laugh at them.

lol, "sammiches". Classic.

6. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't see the protagonist being a woman. All the star wars trilogies revolve around a central character and that is almost guaranteed to be Ben Skywalker in the next three movies. There are always strong women in star wars but writing them into the story with only the motivation to 'include more women' is poor creative practice.

That said a super bad-arse female force using villain would be very welcome!

7. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012

I would argue that Jaina would be a bigger draw, and that they'd be stupid not to focus on her. I'm a guy and I'd much prefer she was the focus over Ben or Jacen...

8. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Honestly as long as we get Hamill/luke presiding over a new Jedi order and we get to see the solo/Skywalker children's exploits I will be a very happy man. Don't really care which one they choose to focus on.

9. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah. They could have Jaina use a light bow! Bows n arrows are hot right now. Throw in a few vampires n you got a hit!

10. Angel Eyes

Nov 1, 2012
  11. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, there's a big difference between writing a woman into a story and making her the main focus of it. I'm more for the latter.

I'll admit that in the case of Ahsoka, some of her character seems a little deliberate, especially in her debut. But I disagree with the idea that Ahsoka is too "girl power". When she saves Anakin's life for the first time, she barely gets any praise. And she frequently makes mistakes early on in the series, just like any young male character would.

Hey! I suddenly remember those little Ewok movies. Those had a female protagonist. Has anyone considered that a Star Wars movie with more female characters might appeal to more kids? I really see more good than harm coming from it.

Even a villain. You know, I don't even think it's a question whether or not we're gonna have bigger roles for women in these new movies. It's really working in TCW, and I'm just speculating of course, but it's just bound to happen.

12. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I wanna see Mara Jade and Bastila... well I doubt they'll do a prequel prequel movie set way before the events of Episode 1... but it all depends on which actress plays her and I'd like her to be played by Kate Beckinsale. I came across this pic...and my god...wow...she can do dark.

[​IMG]

This is something that I made a long time ago in photoshop...

[​IMG]

13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Well I'm a male, but I just want to see more diversity in the galaxy, these new movies have the chance to do that.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    This thread is jumping the shark......

15. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Leia is a no brainer. I hope she's a Jedi Master.

Aurra Sing would be nice since we never got to see her in AOTC in the end and the status of the live action series is currently up in the air. She is still alive and active during this period in the post-ROTJ novels, and even if they get rendered non canon it would be good to see her finally used in some capacity outside the Clone Wars cartoon.

Mother Talzin would be epic. After all she is based on the Sith Witch concept from TPM. Imagine how epic and creepy she would look in live action? Plus I'm hoping we won't see the Sith again in the Sequel Trilogy otherwise it renders Anakin's story arc pointless. Talzin solves that problem by having an evil non-Sith force user. Only downside would be if TCW kills her off, but there was an interesting comment on the DVD commentary asking whether she was even alive to begin with?

Angel Eyes likes this.
  16. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    In reality i think that choosing female lead will depend on target audience.
    It's risky because face it a lot of fans are male and they identify with male lead.
    I believe that in some point there will be important for story female Jedi but the center character will be male.

17. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Are you on crack?

Google 'Carrie Fisher images' and come back and tell me Leia will come back as a Jedi.

18. Darth Stream

Nov 3, 2012
    'Carrie Fisher images' = Jabba the Hutt :rolleyes:

19. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    It's Disney. We will see an explosion of female lead characters and an entire swath of racial diversity suddenly blossom in the SWU. Which is good. Disney's need to cater, to hit the right buttons, and to "send messages" with every casting decision will be a big plus to the franchise.

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh, if you've paid attention to geek culture in the last year, you know that it will be a controversial decision. But it also has the potential to really address the "women in genre" issue.

Another factor is that the tie-in toylines are more distinctly "boys toys." Hasbro, for example, would probably cry themselves to sleep over a female lead. It's more of a problem than it really should be in 2012.

21. Darth Stream

Nov 3, 2012
    Sad thing is that they probably recalculate from who they will earn the most when it comes to gadgets, toys etc.

22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    While I would like to see more women characters in Star Wars (lead hero, lead villian, stronger supporting hero or villian .....) I would be shocked if Mara Jade or Jaina Solo are ever seen.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    And the problem with the toy issue is that it's cyclical. You advertise SW in the stores as a "boys'" product, parents with girls aren't going to go down those aisles. When I was a little kid I remember my parents thinking SW action figures were more of a "boy" thing so they didn't buy them for me or my sister, but all the Power Ranger toys were OK because they had female leads. SW videogames like Dark Forces were also OK, since most videogame stores don't gender-segregate their games like toy stores do.

Marketing to the kids usually isn't the issue, but marketing to the parents is. Which is why we need a next-generation of free-thinking geeks as parents.

24. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I think the identifing thing is really only an issue with kids. As someone said earlier, to a lot of little boys a "girl" main character makes it a "girl" movie (though this following 6 other movies and 2 tv shows, maybe not when it comes to Star Wars).

A good way for them to go might be to do something similiar to Firefly, were the main character is a male but the story is ultimately about a woman.

LawJedi likes this.
  25. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    A shirtless Jabba the hutt in return of the jedi wasn't enough for you.:p

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.