main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Tripe

Tripe Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    My friend Misty would love there to be more female characters.

Incidentally, is there a better place to post links like that on here? I used to post on here a moderate amount but it's been years since I did so this is mostly all new to me again. :)

2. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah when a war breaks outs, have all the women in the movie go fight and the males stay home and protect the childern.
    Or when a family is trap in danger and need to be rescued, have the men and childern saved first then females.

Then we can have all males bi*ch about equality and wages. A reverse society to ours here on Earth.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd make the entire principal cast women over 50.

The youdude reaction would be hilarious.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Golden Girls in space. [face_thinking] I'm liking where this conversation is heading. Especially if it involves Betty White having a lightsaber duel.

5. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I think Leia as Chancellor Solo and the offspring of Han and Leia being a woman, trained by Luke, would be a great way to give women more representation in Episode VII.

Yeah, I threw EU to the wind. I'd prefer it if we focus on one offspring and not a trio of Solos.

6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If they begin the ST in 45 ABY that sets up Jaina Solo to be one of the main protagonists in the trilogy. Leia is a Jedi Knight at this time, but she has enough experience, wisdom, and the temperament to be a de facto Jedi Master. Just because she is a knight doesn't mean she has to be the one on the front lines to do the fighting, she is more of a mentor and diplomatic Jedi, who would have as much influence as a jedi on the front lines. The OT is focused on Luke, the PT is focused on Anakin, I don't think it's a case of "its a boys club no girls allowed" at all, its just the way it worked out, Leia and Padme have been strong female characters. The EU is in the perfect time, the big 3 are the perfect age, the young protagonists(Jaina and Ben) at the current time in the EU are the perfect age to be the focus of the ST and take the baton from the big 3.

7. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I want Yvonne Strahovski to be in the SW universe!

She would be a great lead!

8. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    In my script version of Episode VII (in which I throw out the EU), I have Han & Leia's children as a boy and a girl: the boy is more of Han Solo type, doesn't care about the force, and he's off somewhere in the galaxy doing who knows what. But the girl, named Sara (a "normal" name like Luke), is a major character. In VII, she is a young and capable starpilot. In Episode VIII, we learn that she has been training as a Jedi and takes part in a spectacular space battle/boarding enemy ship/lightsaber-wielding scene.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, that's what I was thinking when I saw this thread, true much of the time. I think a lot of the anger and frustration vented against the PT is actually the misdirected anger of not getting a date.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, I think at minimum Star Wars should continue what they do with female characters, which is much more female-friendly than most action movies or movies in general, several Jedi are women and the main female characters are feminine/attractive as well as capable and heroic. I wouldn't be opposed to having one of the main heroes be female.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She looks great this year, she's really gotten into shape:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ummm... there is only one Solo offspring left, and it's Jaina.

(there's also Allana, but that's a grandkid)

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Actually, in the EU, Jaina is now a Jedi Master and on the Council. :)

14. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh I know, and it just makes a stronger case that TPTB need to include Jaina in the ST. Not just to reach out to the female fans who may feel slighted by perceived lesser female roles in the saga, but because she's a bad*** character. I like Jaina a lot, perhaps being a guy I'm not as sensitive to that role model aspect. I just want good heroes I don't care whether they're men or women. Both of the Solo women as Masters on the council in leadership roles sounds good to me.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No we don't. We only need good characters.

But I'm sure they'll have a strong young female lead. It's Disney after all. And it's Star Wars. They both love their feisty princesses!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  16. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Films with female protagonists tend not to do as well as those with male protagonists. The obvious reason for this is that action/adventure films are usually geared towards teenage boys. That's the audience. The Resident Evil and Underworld franchises are fairly successful with female leads but not on the level you'd hope for. Another reason is that female leads are either presented as sexual fantasies or are written as the "strong independent woman" stereotype instead of...you know, an actual person.

There are two possible exceptions to this. The first is Wonder Woman. Done right, Wonder Woman could be a huge success...of course Warner Brothers don't seem to have a clue what they're doing so it's unlikely to happen. The other possible exception is Star Wars. Why? Because it's Star Wars and every geek on the planet would see the movie even if Jar Jar Binks was the lead.

I'd have no problem with the protagonist being female as long as she's written well and not written as a female stereotype or a pair of...power convertors.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  17. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    If there will be female lead i wish they will do it in Cameron style (Sigourney Weaver [Aliens] & Linda Hamilton [Terminator 2]) and not in embarrassing style (Megan Fox [Transformers], Milla Jovovich [Resident Evil]).

18. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    What I meant was that I'd want the Solos only have one child in the movies, and it's a girl. No rehashing the twins and no referencing dead characters.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What I hate about a lot of action/sci-fi movies is they have a women (or possibly two) but they seem to just be a token female character. Star Wars does have some stong female characters both in the movies and the EU, but it would be nice to see a female protaganist so long as she is well written and well though out. (I guess that goes for any protaganist.)

My roommate did her Masters in gender studies and she was telling us the femnist test for movies is that there have to be: 1) Two named female characters 2) who talk to each other and 3) talk about something other than a man.
    Star Wars on the whole, while has strong females, doesn't do too well on this, TPM does the best.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  20. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I guess Reservoir Dogs doesn't make it on a femnist movie list.:p

21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I love women characters. I'd love to see more, down with sexist Hollywood! I'm a young man and want to see more leading roles by women. I love Weaver films, even though she'd old. Madame president from Battle Star Galactica was awesome. Old Sarah Jane in Doctor Who was terrific. We refuse to give women roles when they get older? That's just silly... Bring on the women old and young.

I loved Under World , but I think we're missing part of the bigger picture. Part of the reasons I watch those is because Kate is in tight black leather and is sexy and it's exciting to see her kicking ass in tight black . But I think roles like Madame President, Sarah Jane , Doctor who companions often gave women respectable and deep , meaningful roles.

Oh, DUNE! The Dune series , the one that came out a few years ago that was done in two films. The mother was fantastic in that series. Women are awesome and we see a change in the world when we look at Rock and Metal. Pat Benatar was the Queen of Rock and now we have all kinds of female fronted bands like Within Temptation, Delain , Light This City, etc etc. I think women are getting more attention but I think alot of the time it's just to utilize them in generic ways. Sexually, or the dim witted woman in distress.

This is why I love the alien series because it doesn't really focus on that . It's realistic , and it hasn't been done justice since , it jumped over hurdles of social programming. But let's be honest they use men stupidly too often, the macho thing, masculinity ...

There's much more depth to life than there is in film. Anyways there are good female roles in film and just a few more plain, dumbed down roles than there are with men in reality.

CSI for example is a thinking show and the women are on the same level throughout the show. Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica the remake challenges gender stereotypes , she's more masculine than feminine.

But wait, that causes problems too because then we get the female complex that is I am woman hear me roar!!! But Star Buck isn't like that, she's human and vulnerable like the rest of us. She is a believable character with a deep role in the series.

Yes, more females in Star Wars is perfect, it's a good venue for it.

22. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't like the "feminist test" as it assumes upon the creativity of the film's subject matter and attempts to force it into a criteria that she feels is "correct"...and such a notion is totally the enemy of fiction in general. Creativity needn't conform like that, if it does so it becomes stagnant, predictable and boring.It should pay attention to what it is doing and how genders are portrayed, but giving a number and criteria is silly and actually does more harm than good.

Sure the OT came in a era of princesses being rescued, but we've come an awfully long way since then and we shouldn't dismiss the wins along the way by trying to fit a "feminist criteria" as it will be just as skewed as a misogynistic outlook would be....just in the opposite direction.

Hell, the most recent Disney princess (Merida in BRAVE) doesn't require saving and is as strong as they come. That's a progress we didn't see in the 70's, ESPECIALLY in the House Of Mouse.

In the SW universe we have Jaina, Tahiri, Alema, Mara, Ashoka, Jocasta Nu, Depa Billaba, Adi Gallia, Yaddle, Stass Allie, Buktar Swan, Bariss Offee, Aayala Secura, Luminari Unduli, and Shaak Ti...the last few of which were Jedi Masters on the council and have been ass kicking strong women on TCW, let alone in the films. Just because they aren't main protagonists doesn't mean we should ignore how strong they were portrayed. Hell, Shaak Ti survived the purge and lived for many years during the Dark Times.

I DO like the idea of a female lead in Ep VII....more so than a male lead....and I think that both HARRY POTTER (Hermoine was a lead, no matter what anyone says), and HUNGER GAMES especially excelled with such women as leads. And you've got Buffy too as a template. I think as long as the lead is a strong female character with heroic motivations, then it's a win and it doesn't need to conform to any other rules.

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    It would be so great if ms Kennedy would give more female opportunities to write & direct the next new generation of Star Wars movies, it would be perfect for the. Disney banner.

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes if there are 8 to 9 main characters at least 5 of them should be women. No more Padme-Leia situations

25. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I've said it in other threads but I'll say it again. I'm rooting for Jaina Solo to be the lead young Jedi character in these movies. Luke will probably get his lightsaber fights I'm sure but I hope the final confrontation in the new trilogy has Jaina saving the day!

FOR FELSGODDESS! I really want this.

Edit: On a side note, can you imagine if they really play it up with Luke and then he finally has to take out his lightsaber... It could almost rival Yoda pulling out his saber in II. If they play their cards right and build the suspense up. Finally at the end of the first movie he has to take a stand, maybe save a brash Jaina who got in over her head and still has much to learn in the next two movies and he lights up that green lightsaber. LEGEN.....WAIT FOR IT.... DARY!