main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD We Need Your Help- Revising the WNU Glossary

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Bazinga'd , Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Edit: Due to a re-organisation, this thread got locked. You can find more information in this thread. If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask there as well.

As Skiara and I have recently realized, the WNU glossary is woefully out of date and in need of revision.

We would like to solicit everyone's help in trying to determine what revisions should be made, or what new definitions and acronyms need to be added, deleted or changed.

The WNU Glossary can be found HERE.

Please use this thread to make your suggestions. Skiara and I will try to make the changes to the thread on a rolling basis, but would like to get general comments in regarding its format and content first.

If you have any questions, please PM Skiara and myself. Thanks

Baz

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2018
    DarthJaceus, Skiara and DarthIshyZ like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Under Explanations, Joshua Griffin should be a former owner of TFN since it's just Philip Wise now. DONE
    Rebelscum gets some mention in Collecting, so you might add that it is also owned by Philip Wise and is the sister site of TFN, though they have more of an emphasis on Collecting than TFN does. Done. (new entry added for Rebelscum.)

Some of the links need fixing as well - the one for Comms, for example. Comms Links updated. Working on other links.

Skiara and Bazinga'd like this.
  3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    What's TFN?

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

Skiara and Bazinga'd like this.
  4. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    In seriousness (and sorry for the DP), when typing things up in MS Word, copy & paste thru something like Notepad that doesn't put in strange coding. I have my Tapatalk on black background. Unformatted text shows with white writing. MS Word text shows as black writing. Hard to read on a black background.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

Sith-I-5, Skiara and Bazinga'd like this.
  5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    My suggestions, after a quick scan through, are:

Convo - private message, or private conversation Added
    DRL - Darth Real Life Added

General repairs to the text would spiff it up in general. :)

QueenSabe7, Skiara , Dandelo and 2 others like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    What specifically would you like happen?

Skiara and Lady Belligerent like this.
  7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Here’s an example:

AHBY: Abbreviation for "All Hail Blue Yoda", a phrase used by members of the Blue Yoda Society (see http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...nd-threads-version-3-0.50006713/]Introduction[/url] to social groups and threads also).

——
    It would be time consuming to repair the codes so that they read correctly, but it would be easier to read.

ETA: The link is outdated and doesn’t work either. :)

Skiara , DarthIshyZ and Bazinga'd like this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
  9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Great replies so far! Thanks! :D

Anything else? Oldbies, do you miss anything? Newbies, is there anything that you miss? Let us know, please! :)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    AOD Acronym for Acolytes Of Darkness; a social group of users that belong to the dark side of the force. Namely the Sith. Now defunct and replaced with KOD and TSE
    (mods may need to check this is correct first. At least this is my understanding Lady Belligerent might be able to confirm here :p ) Added

KOD Acronym for Knights of Darkness; A fanclub and social group in SWC for fans of the dark side, including The Sith and Knights of Ren. Added

TSE Acronym for The Sith Empire; A fanclub and social group in EUC for fans of the dark side. Notably the Sith. Added

GOL Acronym for Guardians Of Light; A fanclub and social group in EUC for fans of the light side of the force and the Jedi Added

NJT Acronym for New Jedi Trials A fanclub and social group in the SWC for fans on the Jedi Knights. Added

CCC Acronym for Cloud City Cantina. The official social thread for SWC Added

BMC Acronym for Blue Moon Cantina. The official social thread for EUC Added

RYL Acronym for Rethink Your Life. The official thread for PT Added

SWC Acronym for Star Wars Community Added

PT Acronym for Prequel Trilogy Previously Added

EUC Acronym for Expanded Universe Community Added

hope this helps so far :D

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Dandelo likes this.
  12. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Dandelo likes this.
  13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks! :D

Another question: Which abbreviations are out of date? We would like to put them off the list to make it an really updated list. Please, tell us, which ones should be deleted or need to be discussed in your view? :)

Dandelo likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I have a question about this one in particular:

YSLCATGOT: You stand/stood little chance against the God of Thunder

I have never come across this abbreviation or it's meaning before. Was this used in a specific forum?

Edit: Also MSN instant messenger merged with Skype a few years ago, so no longer can be used. Perhaps deleting MSN and adding Skype might work, since a lot of users use it these days :)

15. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    AIM is shutting down this year too. I’m not sure anyone still uses it with FB messenger and Skype. Also, is S.I.T.H. a thing still or did it go away years ago? I added that fact about AIM along with the December 15th shut down date.

Need to add TFA and TLJ to the list for sure. :) Done

Skiara and Dandelo like this.
  16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the hints. Dandelo, I can’t answer that question. So I guess it’s way outdated.

Btw I will work on the opening post, but I need to go offline for about two weeks, so I can’t do it before I’m back.

Dandelo likes this.
  17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    just been reminded the second thread for this is The Peace Keepers Jedi Order

just FYI Skiara and Bazinga'd

:)

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Now that TLJ has been released, if anyone has any new suggestions for the Glossary, please post them here.

19. Base Delta Zillo

Base Delta Zillo Jedi Knight

Feb 5, 2015
    Do we have the meaning of RSA in there? On some of the former mods/administrators it says RSA

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Its on there. @Base Delta Zillo

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Like me wearing that title. ;)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    There are definitely a lot of acronyms over in the Literature forum. They talk about Legends material and abbreviate it and instantly I'm lost. So you may need a SME when it comes to that material. Personally, I'm concerning with canon material since the Disney purchase so that's my primary focus. Here's some general stuff that may help New Users navigate the Lit Forum.

TP or TPB: Trade PaperBack Added to Glossary and Explanations.
    When a collection of stories that were once originally published separately are combined into one book to tell one story arc or a collection of stories that have a connected theme

IDW Publishing: Idea and Design Works Publishing company. Not Added
    They are currently releasing Star Wars Adventure comics that are consider canon stores.

SWA: Star Wars Adventures. Added to Glossary and Explanations.
    A comic book series aimed at younger audiences which tell tiny little stories that happen between or during the events of the Star Wars theatrical movies

FOD: Force of Destiny Added to Glossary.
    A subset of the SWA line, where the focus is on female heroism. The stories can be found in the form of animated shorts or in comic book form

OHC: Oversized HardCover Added to Glossary and Explanations.
    Sometimes called Omnibus by Marvel, the term is decided by the number of issues collected within but at times it can be remarkably low

PTG: Printing Added to Glossary and Explanations.
    Refers to when the a comic book publishing company printed a specific comic run. Examples: NEW PTG or 2ND PTG. Since first printings are often worth more to collectors, they care if certain comics came from the original run or they sold out and therefore the comic book publisher did a second one

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
  23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    @TiniTinyTony Most of your recomendations were incorporated into the glossary/explanation sections. Thanks again for your help.

@Skiara

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    TiniTinyTony and Skiara like this.
  24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The more input we get, the better the glossary can be. So thanks from my end as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.