main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation We really need a "rogue" archetype character in this trilogy.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by IG_2000, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    That's one of the reasons why the prequel trilogy was considered sub-par to the originals; the lack of a badass mercenary along the lines of Han Solo and the lack of a Millenium Falcon type ship.

I think it would be pretty interesting to have a character that is sort of a grunge/punk rock type guy (think Ewan McGregor's character in Velvet Goldmine) who fronts a band. Maybe using his tour dates as means of smuggling illegal goods (think Javul Charn's front for the weapon laundering in Shadow Games) Outside of the Max Rebo band and the Modal Nodes we haven't seen much of the musical culture in the GFFA

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Chances of not having one: approximately zero.

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I guess with Disney's success with Jack Sparrow it is a given

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree with this 100%

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would have said the same for the PT. But that ~1% chance won out. :oops:

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I disagree. I've always felt that Han Solo is one of the most overrated characters of the Saga. I don't want "badass" characters. I want characters with humanity. And if they're riddled with flaws, so be it, as long as the narrative acknowledges it.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  7. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    "the lack of a badass mercenary along the lines of Han Solo "

I think this is a horrible mischaracterization of Han Solo. Regardless of who shot first, everything else in the original trilogy points toward him being a good man with a good heart. As much as he wanted to believe he was in it for the money… he knew he couldn’t abandon his new friends.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  8. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    You are full of proclamations, aren't you? Not that I disagree with you, it's just that people with good ideas ought to explain or support them in some way. So, to piggyback off of the previous comment, I agree that we will see a "rogue" type character. My reason for this opinion is that the new trilogy will most likely feature the child or children of Han and Leia. The twist may be that the "roguish" character that everyone craves will be a Jedi daughter of the Solo's not a son. Talk amongst yourselves....

9. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Doesn't anybody else have a problem with essentially copying what they liked from the originals? Han is great, but how can another similar character ever be better or be anything other than "that Han-like character?" People complained while Lucas gave us the prequels, more or less, because they were not like the originals. But we already have the originals... An artist gives you something new. Giving people exactly what they want is the very definition of selling out

PiettsHat likes this.
  10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't want to see a carbon copy of Han. But something I liked about the OT was the different archetypes coming together. With the prequels it just seemed like: Jedi, Jedi, Jedi, Jedi, Jedi, Village Idiot, Depressed Queen/Senator. Any kind of anti-hero would be nice, or even just a character that is taken out of their element. The OT had an assortment of out of place characters that all band together to take out the evil Empire. In the PT we get a bunch of Jedi who do this sort of thing all the time. There was no sense that they were on some crazy adventure. It was just another day of being a Jedi.

11. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Why do we need archetypes in the first place?

Seriously, if you can define a character with a few words (like "the badass rogue" for instance) they aren't a very good character in my estimation. How many people do you know that can be fully described in such a manner?

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A new character shouldn't be a copy of Han Solo, but should fill the same role as Han that was lacking in the PT.

Luke was the selfless guy, Han was the selfish guy and that difference worked well.
    Han had great lines and argued often with Chewie & 3PO and generally seemed against doing stuff unless he driectly benefitted, Luke had a less pessimistic view of everything and everyone and wanted to help others because he felt it was right.

Obi Wan was in the PT just as he was in the OT, with Anakin filling the Luke role in those films. Where was the wise-ass rogue in those films? It seemed like Lucas wanted to make Anakin into both Luke & Han yet he failed to get much of either.

In the new movies if we have Luke in the Obi Wan role he will most likely mentor someone who fills the role he once did & that his father once did, but we will still need the extra character for the Han Solo role.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The characters in the PT usually all got along. There needs to be a character like Han that rocks the boat so to say. Han's change from don't care smuggler in ANH to hero in ROTJ was great. We need a character growth thing like that. A Qui-Gon type character would be nice. A jedi who did things his way.

14. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    The Prequels were telling a different part of the story than the original trilogy. It was a different galaxy in the prequel era, and it had to be different, filled with different kinds of characters. The contrast enriches both trilogies in my opinion.

The stuffy political culture of the prequel era where everybody is expected to do things by the rules makes it more interesting later when we see characters with fewer resources succeeding by using their hearts.

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I wouldn't call Han a "badass rogue." Nor do I think that defines the entirety of his character. Calling Luke a daydreaming farmboy for instance would be a gross over-simplification of his character as it evolves over the course of the story.

16. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Oh, that was more in reference to the opening post which cited the need for a "badass mercenary." Regardless, Han can be summed up in several words: "jerk with a heart of gold," which is one of the reasons I've never really been interested in him. He essentially only has a character arc in ANH. Luke's a completely different story, though, in my opinion.

But it always makes me laugh when RLM has his friends describe Han in a couple of phrases and then struggle to describe the PT characters, as though it's a good thing that a character can be summarized so easily. But to each their own.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I want an antihero!

18. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The entire new series needs to be set in a place where no one is predictable, the galaxy should be in chaos after the fall of the Empire as has been the case at the end of every rule here on earth. A sort of "dark ages". Social and economic turmoil which would be the foundation for the lines between good and evil being blurred. I'd like to NOT have a sign over the characters heads that either says "good guy or "bad guy". This isn't the 1970's anymore. Star Wars needs to take a 'darker' turn in order to have any sort of legitimacy- sure they could stick with Lucas cheesy story telling line that he did with the last three films but I think a more modern formula is needed.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A whole thread where "rogue" is actually spelled correctly?

Now I think I'm dreaming. :p

Jedi Gunny likes this.
  20. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Han and Leia's son? Wayward young man who got booted out of the New Republic Academy, takes his old man's Millennium Falcon on a joyride through an asteroid field to impress a girl and nearly destroys it, enjoys visiting seedy clubs on Coruscant and blowing cash at sabacc, thinks his Uncle Luke is a douche who keeps banging on about all that "force" crap, oh wait.... I can use it to make girls have sex with me? I must learn more!

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    A rogueish character would be nice, but at least Han had some redeeming features in the OT. Being badass for the sake of being badass just doesn't really work for SW.

22. Undreamt

Undreamt Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Tom Hardy would play a rogueish yet good character very well.

In Tinker Tailor.. with thair hairdo on top I couldn't help but think he would've fitted into A New Hope lol.

23. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Mara Jade would fill this spot nicely.

AussieRebel likes this.
  24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yes assuming Luke is the lead which given the age of Mark I seriously doubt.

25. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe the new Jedi protagonists meet up with a bounty-hunter character who seems nefarious but turns out to be honorable and very helpful to the good guys when we least expect it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.