main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga We Regret to Inform You- an OC story of the Rebellion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: We Regret to Inform You
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: Between ANH and ESB
    Genre: angst, possibly a short story?
    Characters: OCs
    Summary: A young woman finds that her world has crumbled around her. What?s next?

We Regret to Inform You

We regret to inform you?

And with these words, my reality changed. Before I read them I had been one person and when I was done absorbing them I had become another.

This new person was broken somehow, bitter and hard in a way that felt strange in my skin. The old identity cried out in protest for a moment and then she was silenced forever. Just another casualty in the service of the Empire.

I happened to catch my reflection and I marveled that this transformed creature looked so much like the person I had been.

The almost golden skin remained, as did the mole on my cheekbone. My hair was still the darkest black and absolutely straight, hanging down to my shoulders. The eyes? They were still brown, slightly slanted and widely spaced. But?

Yes, the eyes were changed, for deep within them was a deep grief and bitterness that had not been there before. I looked very much like someone else was wearing my skin.

I turned away from contemplating what I had become.

My big brother was dead. And that was real; that was true.

Tak had always been the center of my world. We were orphaned when he was just sixteen and I was a toddler. But Tak never faltered in his determination to raise me himself. Instead of going out and having a good time with his friends, he stayed home and read to me. He took me to school every day rather than attending the university as had been his dream.

And in return I loved him with all of my heart.

Typical of his unswerving desire to give me the best life possible, he had entered into the Imperial service for me. We were poor, never had much more than the bare minimum of food we required and clothing to cover our bodies. But he wanted more for me, much more.

The families of troopers got a break in tuition at some of the Imperial universities and I had a quick mind. He felt I would go far if given the right opportunities. So he did what he had to do to give me that chance.

I had cried when he told me, but nothing I said or did changed his mind. Tak was like that, stubborn to his core and a heart as big as the galaxy.

It killed him ? correction, they killed him.

He had gone off to war, willing to fight for a cause he didn?t believe in because he just wanted his baby sister to have a better life than he had. I had dutifully attended the university and studied diligently. I worked to make him proud and to help repay him for all the years he had put me first.

And now Tak was gone.

I was scheduled to graduate with honors in just three months. I would have the credentials about which he had bragged so often. But the person I had become didn?t care about any of that anymore, because my reason for staying here had been cut down on some distant battlefield on a planet that didn?t really matter to anyone.

The Empire had used him up so that it could grab more and more power. The Empire never cared about my brother or me or anyone else that existed under that vast Imperial thumb. We were all disposable and dispensable.

I had heard the whispers, of course. No one spoke of it openly, but the murmurs were growing in number and I couldn?t help but hear them.

There was a Rebellion. A group of shaggy malcontents who had decided that they didn?t like the way the Emperor was running things.

They were doomed to failure, at least that was the official opinion. But over the past year I had noticed that every now and then there would be a missing face from the classroom and the whispers would start again.

Did you know that she joined the Rebellion? He snuck off to join the Rebel Alliance!

They would marvel over our classmate?s daring and for a while we would recall all we knew about him or her. They would have been the best and the worst, the tallest, the shortest, the sm

2. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    I hope you're saying there will be more. Very cool story! =D=

3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Oooh. I like this! :D I hope you continue it!

4. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    i love her determination, very cool. as always, your writing is wonderful & captivating. :) great work :D

maybe she'd make a good pilot, being so small? just tossing out comments randomly, don't mind me [face_whistling]

5. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    AnakinsHeir I am sure we will be hearing more from our little soldier! :D

Jedi_Jaina_Durron I have some ideas floating around, so that will probably happen. Thanks for reading.

SarkaVrae I haven't decided yet what she'll do, but I have an idea... [face_devil]

Thank you for reading. Inspiration for this struck while watching "ER" last night. And my muse wouldn't shut up and let me go to sleep until I finished!

6. Jedi-Tiger-Lilly

Jedi-Tiger-Lilly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Very interesting OC. Hope you will post more of this story.

7. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Very nice! I like this character. I say you should give her a story of her own, not just a vignette! :D

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Jedi-Tiger-Lilly Thank you for reading and I'm glad you liked it.

LukesTheMan Thanks for reading! I hope to continue her story and I hope you'll read it! :)

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very interesting start. I'm intrigued by the character herself.

10. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    You have a talent for creating the most intriguing OCs, K. You have to continue this one!

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    DarthIshtar Thank you! :D

Gina You always say the nicest things. I'm glad you like her. I think my muse is whispering a bit more of her story in my ear...

12. MY-T-Chewbacca

MY-T-Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2004
    Excellent story, and I really hope that you'll expand on this vignette!

13. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Wow, that was great. You are going to continue this, right?

Loved the last line.

But they were big enough to grasp a blaster and that was all that mattered.

*sighs in content*

14. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Loved the last line.

Yeah, that was a nice way to close the story (or prologue, whatever it may end up being.)

Good work, VaderLVR64. I enjoyed it.

15. baru-chan

baru-chan Jedi Master

Apr 4, 2003
    This piece is amazing! The fact that the empire lures in cadets for the Imperial navy/army with benefits for family members made me wonder if that's the reason why there were a lot of Imperials hanging about...

»baru-chan

P.S. I love Jalian Medina's name - it has a vaguely Andalusian air to it that nonetheless fits in the GFFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.